Kurt Vonnegut: Slaughterhouse 5

Guest Anonymous

Ah. It's a great book. Although his best is Cats Cradle, and if you want a better anti war satire, you're almost certainly better off with Catch-22.

I'm not sure a book like Slaughterhouse 5, which is all about the ideas and the concept of death and how life becomes trivialised really wants to build the characters too far.

• 2 weeks later...

Stewart: don't be put off reading more Vonnegut by one bad experience. His books are extraordinarily variable in quality, and his later ones in particular are weak. Having said that, Slaughterhouse-5 is earlyish (1969) and as you say, is his most widely acclaimed and known book. Nonetheless I couldn't get on with it either. I would recommend The Sirens of Titan, Player Piano (if you can find it: his first novel), Mother Night or - at a push - Cat's Cradle. He also does sentimentality very well, particularly in mid-late stuff like Slapstick, Breakfast of Champions and Timequake. Avoid the likes of Deadeye Dick, Jailbird or Hocus Pocus unless you're a completist.

• 2 weeks later...
I finished it yesterday and I absolutely LOVED it. I am not good at reviews so will leave it there, but it moved me.

Why did it move you? In what way?

Ooh, this is hard for me. I am not good with words.

Right. I am interested in quantum physics and the whole idea of time and in this book the aliens see time in a completely different way. We are like people standing in the Grand Canyon with tin helmets on which are obscuring our view, only looking one way and not seeing the whole picture. The aliens can see the whole of the canyon, up, down, front and back, side to side. They see the whole picture. In the same way, they do not focus on death as it is one moment from a life. They say why focus on that small bit, when we should see the whole picture. It's that suggestion that all of time is happening 'at once' and not in a linear way as we perceive it.

They do say that your brain shrinks when you're pregnant. My colleague has been joking that the baby is sooking out her brains through the umbilical chord - LOL!

BlueMoon I would have sent it to you but I have already sent it to somebody else who was interested.

I know that it feels that the baby is having every last spare bit of everything you have to offer :D Now that mine is nearly 10 .... do you think my grey matter should have regenerated? :D

• 2 months later...
Ah. It's a great book. Although his best is Cats Cradle, and if you want a better anti war satire, you're almost certainly better off with Catch-22.

I couldn't agree more!!!!!

Cat's Cradle used to be in my personal top 5 in my late teens/early 20's; and the Slaughterhouse 5 in my top 10 (if it makes sense). My favourite Vonnegut was actually God Bless You, Mr Rosewater.

Now at 35, I am too scared of disappointing myself to read any of his again as I suspect his violently sentimentalist streak might be just too much.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I also the way time was presented in Slaughterhouse. Certain passages stuck with me, in particular the firebombing of Dresden scene, as a previous poster has said:

"The formation flew backwards over a German city that was in flames. The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes. When the bombers got back to their base, the steel cylinders were taken from the racks and shipped back to the United States, where factories were operating night and day, dismantling the cylinders, separating the dangerous contents into minerals. It was their business to put them into the ground, to hide them cleverly, so they would never hurt anybody ever again. And Hitler turned into a baby. Everybody turned into a baby, and all humanity, without exception, conspired biologically to produce two perfect people named Adam and Eve, he supposed."

• 2 months later...

"The formation flew backwards over a German city that was in flames. The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes. When the bombers got back to their base, the steel cylinders were taken from the racks and shipped back to the United States, where factories were operating night and day, dismantling the cylinders, separating the dangerous contents into minerals. It was their business to put them into the ground, to hide them cleverly, so they would never hurt anybody ever again. And Hitler turned into a baby. Everybody turned into a baby, and all humanity, without exception, conspired biologically to produce two perfect people named Adam and Eve, he supposed."

Amazing. I really need to pick this book up. The passage you've quoted works on my spirit at so many different levels. What beautiful, vile, hateful, and loving creatures we humans are.

if you want a better anti war satire, you're almost certainly better off with Catch-22.

Can't agree. For one thing, to class Slaughterhouse 5 as a "anti-war satire" misses a lot of big points.

But beyond that, Catch 22 is just really a little silly. Has a whole Hogan's Heros, M.A.S.H. feel to it. Slaughterhouse 5--apart from its literary innovation--isn't really an attempt to be "anti-war" (neither was Catch 22) though it got interpreted as that in the Sixties and it seems to have stuck. And is not a satire by any means. Anybody reading Vonnegutt as "satire" is missing out big time. Don't let the tone fool you, he's serious as a heart attack and he doesn't bother satirizing: he indicts.

• 3 weeks later...