Kurt Vonnegut: Slaughterhouse 5

Guest Anonymous

Well, this is the first tale of Vonnegut that I have read. While I definitely enjoyed it, I have to agree that it wasn't my favorite. His theme towards the insignificance of dwelling on the harsh times of life and the ever-impending death (or, at least, that was what I got out of it) were strong, but not quite as incredible as the themes and structures of some of his other books. Mother Night, for example, was fascinating to me in it's unique disregard towards nationalism, and wasn't really something I'd seen before (which isn't to say it hasn't been done at some point of history, but it isn't something I often see). The themes he discussed in SH5 of life and death were insightful, but commonly used.

That being said, though, this book was all in all a fun read. In true Vonnegut style, there were many lines that were brilliant and eye-opening - not really granting you new information, but instead bringing new significance to something you already knew. The inclusion of aliens in an almost memoir-like tale of WW2 and enabling it to actually make sense also shows his true talent.

I read Slaughterhouse 5 a long time ago. I enjoyed it but maybe enjoyed it is not the right word- it made me think. I would like to read it again. I remember much more of Deadeye Dick and the moral of that book has stayed with me- you become what you do in the eyes of other people.