Managing Your TBR Pile?

I tend to pick at random. I'm glad I don't go by oldest first because all the ones I'm really looking forward to, I bought recently! :lol:

Yes but weren't your oldest one the ones you bought recently at one time....lol.:blush:

Bookrings if I have them to read and then I browse my shelves and see what a fancy or maybe go back to an author I haven't read in a while that I have more than one book by.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I've read a couple of simple novels, I'll read one of the heavier, non-fiction, books. If I've been stuck on the same book for 2 months, I'll go for the shortest of fluffiest.

I do this as well. Too much heavy reading can really start to weigh you down (pardon the pun) so I like to read lighter books in between, although I suspect my definition of 'fluffiest' is different to yours, Andy! :blush:

I can also be influenced by any upcoming reading circles that I want to participate in.

Next week I'll be off work so I plan on cramming in a few short and light reads so I can knock some books off my TBR pile.

I have my TBR books in two rows on a book shelf, I've put the books I least want to read on the back row and the ones I'm more interested in the front row, so it's always something I really want to read, and it's usually the newer books if I'm honest, but I am determined to get through that pile this year, however it wont be anytime soon with my birthday coming up :blush:

I organised and culled my TBR pile at the start of January, I have a list but I am really not sticking to it, I just pick up what I fancy reading.

:blush:

I have quite a small TBR list at the moment compared to everyone else here, so I've decided so as to prevent from buying all the books on my 'Yet to Buy' list and having them sit on a shelf, forget about them then keep buying more. Wait until I have one book left on my 'Next to be Read' list only then go out and by 2-3 on my 'Yet to Buy' list.

I hope that made sense :lol:

I used to be smart like you, Paperplane..

That all changed when I joined this forum. Now I can't stop myself from squealing with glee and jumping up and down, clapping my hands when I spot a book that's on my TBR list. It's bad because we have book stalls here where you can really bargain hard and get books for super cheap.. and when the stall-keeper sees how excited I am about a book, it makes it REALLY hard for my husband to bargain the seller down to a fair price. He's taken to just stuffing a wad of money in the seller's hands, shaking his head, and leading me away w/my book in tow.

Probably a good idea, though I couldn't bear to be left alone during a book shopping trip.. I'd sit at home and probably tear up at the thought of all the excitement I'd be missing. Almost half the fun of reading is the book shopping itself to me! :lol:

I just pick randomly usually, although if I ever have more than one from a series I usually read those together. I probably tend to read my new ones first just because I'm excited about reading them, but then I tend to buy in 3s (because Waterstones always has 3 for 2 offers on which I can't resist) so then I'm never sure which to read first.

Probably a good idea, though I couldn't bear to be left alone during a book shopping trip.. I'd sit at home and probably tear up at the thought of all the excitement I'd be missing. Almost half the fun of reading is the book shopping itself to me! :lol:

Oh yes it really is! I could probably spend hours in my local Waterstones if I didn't have other things too do! It is a beautiful shop though, it used to be a bank so it's all sweeping staircases, and pillars and fancy decoration, it even has a tower! It's just what I think a bookshop should be like.

I have quite a small TBR list at the moment compared to everyone else here, so I've decided so as to prevent from buying all the books on my 'Yet to Buy' list and having them sit on a shelf, forget about them then keep buying more. Wait until I have one book left on my 'Next to be Read' list only then go out and by 2-3 on my 'Yet to Buy' list.

I hope that made sense :D

This made perfect sense .... in theory...

I used to be smart like you, Paperplane..

That all changed when I joined this forum. Now I can't stop myself from squealing with glee and jumping up and down, clapping my hands when I spot a book that's on my TBR list.

... and here's how our theory goes right out the window! :lol:

My favourite type of shopping! I would rather shop for books than clothes :lol:

Oh yes it really is! I could probably spend hours in my local Waterstones if I didn't have other things too do! It is a beautiful shop though, it used to be a bank so it's all sweeping staircases, and pillars and fancy decoration, it even has a tower! It's just what I think a bookshop should be like.

God this place sounds like heaven! You would never get me out of it, I'd need a flask! :)

God this place sounds like heaven! You would never get me out of it, I'd need a flask! :lol:

It's one of my favourite places in Birmingham :) actually it has a Costa in it too so you wouldn't even need a flask :D

Still doesn't meet up to the library in Beauty and the Beast though- I really could live there, if it existed!

I could spend hours in my nearest Waterstones or Borders.

I do! :D

I pick from my TBR pile according to my mood. If I've read heavy I then read light. Or I can get distracted, influenced and easily swayed by recommendations/bookrings/reading group choices/bookclub forum

:lol:

Totally agree Ben Borders is the worst because it has a coffee shop too:D

Both my local Waterstones have coffee shops too, and my local WHSmiths (which is actually one of my favourite coffee shops cause it doesn't tend to get busy) I don't like WHSmith for buying books though, at least our local one doesn't have a very wide selection

omg wow, sounds gorgeous, where abouts in Birmingham is this, i must go when im back from uni?

WH Smith's is always poor for buying books. Saying that, they always have Richard and Judy's collection.

I agree, very poor, almost depressing how its gone so downhill, or is that just because when iI was younger I didnt notice the lack of choice I thought it was rich, luckily we have other shops, I had a shop called ottakers in Coventry and went to uni for few months and it had changed to waterstones, not that waterstones isnt nice but have one already few mins walk away, twas sad - I mourned, only because I used to skip sixth form in there for hours on end.

I also noticed there is a book shop in stratford upon avon (couple in other places so I heard) called Maher - which made me so happy because thats my surname, when I saw they were looking for people to work there I thought damn I so should especially as I have the same surname :lol:

Back on topic then I'm not managing my tbr pile very well at all I keep buying books and putting books I bought first further back and books I bought years ago even further back and constantly thinking of new books to buy...(like most people here I imagine) when deciding on next book to read I just read the back cover and first page of book to see if I'm in the mood for it if it draws me in and I read more than two pages its a winner

Edited by chrysalis_stage

WH Smith's is always poor for buying books. Saying that, they always have Richard and Judy's collection.

There are two in Bangor (Wales, where I went to uni) one is almost completely devoted to books so it's pretty good for books. But possibly because all the other book shops in Bangor were mainly devoted to student textbooks, without any (or much) fiction

omg wow, sounds gorgeous, where abouts in Birmingham is this, i must go when im back from uni?

New Street. It used to be a Dillons before it got taken over. There are 2 in Birmingham city centre, the one on New Street and one at the end of New Street (in the pavillions, by the Bullring) which is more modern

i also noticed there is a book shop in stratford upon avon (couple in other places so i heard) called Maher - which made me soooo happy because thats my surname, when i saw they were looking for people to work there i thought damn i so should especially as i have the same surname :lol: (this is off topic isnt it....*scared face*:D)

Where's that? I worked in Stratford before I broke my leg, I only ever noticed Waterstones as a bookshop, but then I didn't really get out the centre

Edited by Lucybird

New Street. It used to be a Dillons before it got taken over. There are 2 in Birmingham city centre, the one on New Street and one at the end of New Street (in the pavillions, by the Bullring) which is more modern

Where's that? I worked in Stratford before I broke my leg, I only ever noticed Waterstones as a bookshop, but then I didn't really get out the centre

oo ill check it out :lol: i'm not familiar with the street names so looked on net and says its on 20 Bridge street...which is by waterside...?

It's the street that runs between the town hall/victoria square/library (I'm trying to think of something you'll know!) and The Bullring and is by the ramp to The Pallasades/new street station

oh I just realised you were talking about Stratford when you were talking about not knowing street names. I think I kinda know where you mean, by the river? The road with M&S?

Edited by Lucybird

It's the street that runs between the town hall/victoria square/library (I'm trying to think of something you'll know!) and The Bullring and is by the ramp to The Pallasades/new street station

oh no sorry i wasnt clear enough i meant the maher shop was on bridge street, but thanks for more directions, very helpful :D i know where the bull ring is and the borders beside it...or at least it was last time i was there :lol: i know New Street vaguely when im there, i end up asking police men directions, probably annoying them, ill go look on google earth

oh I just realised you were talking about Stratford when you were talking about not knowing street names. I think I kinda know where you mean, by the river? The road with M&S?

:lol:yeah i dont know if the road has m&s tbh its the road that comes off riverside and ends on a junction/ roundabout thingy mi bob that leads to warwick road i think, prob best looking on a map ill confuse you with my lack of knowledge