The Funniest Books I have ever read

thereader

The funniest books I have ever read are by Brendan O'Carroll the trilogy "The Mammy", "The Chisellers" and "The Granny". He also has another book called "The Young Wan" He produces new plays based on these books, and there is film called Mrs Brown, if your'e ever feeling sad read these.:lol: :lol: :lol:

The funniest books I have ever read are by Brendan O'Carroll the trilogy "The Mammy", "The Chisellers" and "The Granny". He also has another book called "The Young Wan" He produces new plays based on these books, and there is film called Mrs Brown, if your'e ever feeling sad read these.:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think you will find there are a few Mrs brown films and some films of his stand up ;)

I noticed someone else on the board mentioned David Sedaris recently, and it brought back really funny memories! One of the funniest things I've read is his "Full-Time Elf" (the actual title is "Santaland Diaries") short story in the "Holidays on Ice" collection.

It's about this man that's out of work and decides to play an elf in the local Macy's "Winter Wonderland" scene where children come visit Santa, have their pictures made with the elves, etc.

My favorite excerpt: (and it's a bit crude.. but he's a satire writer and it's all very tongue-in-cheek.. cover your eyes if you are offended easily!)

"The woman in charge of costuming assigned us our outfits and gave us a lecture on keeping things clean. She held up a calendar and said, "Ladies, you know what this is. Use it. I have scraped enough blood out from the crotches of elf knickers to last me the rest of my life. And don't tell me, `I don't wear underpants, I'm a dancer.' You're not a dancer. If you were a real dancer you wouldn't be here. You're an elf and you're going to wear panties like an elf."

:lol::haha::lol:

Yep, Bethany, Santaland Diaries is hilarious, although, as I think I said on here before, you'd be advised not to buy it for your maiden aunt!

My own favourite is The Groundwater Diaries by Tim Bradford, all the more so for being an unexpected find. It's a "travelogue" of sorts, being a journey round London's "lost" rivers, and being a sucker for anything to do with London, I bought it as a holiday read a few years ago. I didn't realise it was a humorous book, but it had me laughing out loud. Top stuff, as is McCarthy's Bar by Pete McCarthy. I've read the various Tony Hawks books too, but I don't think they're anywhere near as funny as these two.

A good deal of the books that I read have something or other in them that always bring a laugh to me at certain moments throughout the read. But off the top of my head now, I'd have to say that one of the funniest books I've read so far is called Happy Hour at Casa Dracula, by Marta Acosta; it has a rather amusing first-person account of things throughout the book.

Prachett books mostly make me laugh. Katie McAlister's books too. Jeanette Winterson's Oranges Are not The Only Fruit was amusing for me and so was VS Naipaul,s Miguel Street. Other books may have a few funny bits even if the main story was not meant to be funny. For instance I found something to laugh about in Melville's Moby Dick.