Which Endings Have Really Disappointed you? *SPOILER ALERT!*

Nellie

I can't remember the name of the book now, but I picked it up randomly from the crime section as the blurb on the back sounded good. It was a great read, a murder early on (a drowning) and lots of dodgy people with motives. When I got to the end it turned out that...

it was an accident, and not a murder at all! I was so annoyed! What on earth it was doing in the crime section I don't know, as there wasn't a crime! :lol:

Have an endings really let you down?

Fox Evil by Minette Walters, and Land of the Living by Nicci French.

I really enjoyed both books until the ending. In both cases the protagonist was someone who had not been featured at all in the book until the ending. I was very disappointed.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows... So much crammed in and badly explained in that last novel :lol: I enjoyed it, the atmosphere and general plot but it left me with a disbelieving feeling: I found too many things dodgy (I know, it is a fantasy novel, but the previous parts were so well structured, explained, thought out...)!

Major spoilers! Do not highlight if you havent read the book!

the location of the last horcrux: come on this is a pice of Voldermort's soul we're talking about! He wasnt going to just dump it in a room full of junk even if it was in Hogwarts, the hallows which were just too much on top of the horcruxes, the way Harry got control of the elder wand... Plus I was disapointed that Ginny played neary no part after her character was built up during the whole series.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows... So much crammed in and badly explained in that last novel :lol: I enjoyed it, the atmosphere and general plot but it left me with a disbelieving feeling: I found too many things dodgy (I know, it is a fantasy novel, but the previous parts were so well structured, explained, thought out...)!

the location of the last horcrux: come on this is a pice of Voldermort's soul we're talking about! He wasnt going to just dump it in a room full of junk even if it was in Hogwarts, the hallows which were just too much on top of the horcruxes, the way Harry got control of the elder wand... Plus I was disapointed that Ginny played neary no part after her character was built up during the whole series.

I agree about:

Ginny, she was made to be so powerful, and then did nothing. I had to re-read the bit about the Elder wand too.

I did not like the ending of 'Cell' by Stephen King ~

I just thought that it was just too convenient that Clayton found his son, Johnny so easily, considering how many pulse/'phoners' victims there were.

'Breaking Dawn' by Stephenie Meyer

I know this is a disappointing ending thread but I just wanted to say ~

I really liked the ending of 'Breaking Dawn', there was no need for a huge fight because they managed to work it out in an almost amicable way (almost because Jane was not happy) , I think Edward and Bella deserved a break to be honest and they got the ending they deserved.

I totally agree! I also didn't care much for the epilogue. I just seemed really cheesy to me. The rest of the series was great, though!

The end of Atonement disappointed me a bit. And the original ending of John Marsden's Tomorrow series disappointed me (the end of book 10), but when he wrote the spin-off series he redeemed himself somewhat.

I agree about:

Ginny, she was made to be so powerful, and then did nothing.

Exactly. In the end it seemed like she had been built up only to be "the perfect match" for Harry, not as an actual important character for herself... Which was sooo disapointing. I thought JKR had more respect than that for characters outside of the trio, if that makes sense. I love what she did with Neville though, so that makes up for it a little. *laughs*

I totally agree! I also didn't care much for the epilogue. I just seemed really cheesy to me. The rest of the series was great, though!

Well I guess the epilogue was a very difficult exercise, but I agree.

The series still holds a very special place in my bookshelf though!

Breaking Dawn: I was probably the single person on Earth who was not disappointed by the ending :D :D ok, perhaps we were expecting a wee bit more complicated fight than we got but oh well.

Cell: I agree with the end being quite anticlimactic (the "main "fight" being less than expected) and most of all the whole idea of reverse pulse didn't stood well with me. What I did like though was that we are not told the ending of the experiment Clayton did with his son so it was a cool ending even for non-believers like me

Harry Potter: I've loved all HP books but Deathly Hallows (I had a huge list of complaints at the time, I don't remember them all nowm luckily I have them all written down on zee blog) -- the Elder Wand thingy sounded false (something wasn't exactly right), not to mention the whole

"Voldemort hits Harry but Voldemort dies"

thing -- I'm aware of the explanation but it too seemed forced at the time (at least to me)

Atonement: you have no idea how much the ending troubled me! Have it been a real book I was reading (instead of an ebook) I probably would have flung it to the floor. It made me so upset and angry. Interestingly enough after a while I recognized the brilliance of the idea and now I'm okay with it :D

And now to add a book of my own: Crusader Gold, by David Gibbins. It's about a bunch of guys who spend quite a bit of time and go through quite a bit of trouble to find a huge ancient religious symbol, made out of gold. So they go from one side of the Earth to another, decipher all sorts of ancient writings, and... after a while

they simply think "you know, probably the thingy didn't survive that long, it has probably been melted for coins" and they go home, mightily pleased with themselves.

Um, what????

LATER EDIT: here's what I thought of HP and the DH at the time (including a list of things I didn't like with the ending hee hee). A blog is sometimes such a useful thing :D

Edited by kay_loves_purple

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows... So much crammed in and badly explained in that last novel :D I enjoyed it, the atmosphere and general plot but it left me with a disbelieving feeling: I found too many things dodgy (I know, it is a fantasy novel, but the previous parts were so well structured, explained, thought out...)!

I haven't read the book, but the location you describe reminds me of the ingenious hiding place of The Purloined Letter in a story by Poe. In the story, a house has been thoroughly ransacked for an incriminating letter. It turns out that the letter has been purposely crumpled and is sitting right under everyone's nose. The hiding place, "by din't of being excessively obvious," was overlooked by all but Detective Dupin.

Dupin explains the subtle psychology of such hiding places with an analogy to a game of maps:

There is a game of puzzles," he resumed, "which is played upon

a map. One party playing requires another to find a given word—

the name of town, river, state or empire—any word, in short, upon

the motley and perplexed surface of the chart. A novice in the

game generally seeks to embarrass his opponents by giving them

the most minutely lettered names; but the adept selects such

words as stretch, in large characters, from one end of the chart to

the other. These, like the over-largely lettered signs and placards

of the street, escape observation by dint of being excessively

obvious; and here the physical oversight is precisely analogous

with the moral inapprehension by which the intellect suffers to

pass unnoticed those considerations which are too obtrusively

and too palpably self-evident.

—The Purloined Letter, Edgar Allan Poe (1801-1849)

I haven't read the book, but the location you describe reminds me of the ingenious hiding place of The Purloined Letter in a story by Poe. In the story, a house has been thoroughly ransacked for an incriminating letter. It turns out that the letter has been purposely crumpled and is sitting right under everyone's nose. The hiding place, "by din't of being excessively obvious," was overlooked by all but Detective Dupin.

Dupin explains the subtle psychology of such hiding places with an analogy to a game of maps:

True, obvious places can make the best hiding places...But in this case it just wasnt in character. Far too detached and rational for the person in question.

And what are you doing reading spoilers for a book you havent read? :D

And now to add a book of my own: Crusader Gold, by David Gibbins. It's about a bunch of guys who spend quite a bit of time and go through quite a bit of trouble to find a huge ancient religious symbol, made out of gold. So they go from one side of the Earth to another, decipher all sorts of ancient writings, and... after a while

they simply think "you know, probably the thingy didn't survive that long, it has probably melted for coins" and they go home, mightily pleased with themselves.

Um, what????

I think I'd have wanted my money back with an ending like that!