Kat's Reading in 2009

Lilywhite

Currently Reading

Already Read

42. Charles Dickens ~ The Christmas Books (5/5)

41. Carole Matthews ~ With or Without You (3/5)

40. Dewey: The Small-town Library-cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron (4/5)

39. Kat Richardson ~ Greywalker (2/5)

38. Christopher Ransom ~ The Birthing House (2/5)

37. Michele Bardsley ~ Don't talk back to your Vampire (book 2) (4/5)

36. Philippa Gregory ~ Alice Hartley's Happiness (3.5)

35. Philipa Gregory ~ The Other Queen (3/5) (a little harsh but it wasn't quite a 4)

34. Jodi Picoult ~ Handle With Care (4/5)

33. Michelle Bardsley ~ I'm The Vampire That's Why! (3/5)

32. Helen Black ~ Damaged Goods (2/5)

31. Madasue Heller ~ The Front (2/5)

30. Lesley Pearse ~ Gypsy (3/5)

29. Tess Gerritsen ~ Whistleblower (2.5/5)

28. Valerie Stivers ~ Blood is the New Black (3/5)

27. Mo Hayder ~ Ritual (4/5)

26. MaryJanice Davidson ~ Undead and Unpopular (3/5)

25. Jessie Keane ~ Black Widow (3/5)

24. Norah Lofts ~ The King's Pleasure (5/5)

23. Tess Gerritsen ~ Body Double (4/5)

22. Mandasue Heller ~ The Charmer (3/5)

21. Louisa May Alcott ~ Little Women (4/5)

20. Martina Cole ~ Faces (3/5)

19. Elizabeth Noble ~ Things I want my Daughters to Know (3/5)

18. James Bradley ~ The Resurrectionist (0/5)

17. Dorothy Koomson ~ Marshmellows for Breakfast (3/5)

16. Emily Barr ~ The Sisterhood (3/5)

15. Karen Rose ~ Scream For Me (3.5/5)

14. Philippa Gregory ~ Boleyn Inheritance (4/5)

13. James Conan ~ City of Dark Hearts (3.5/5)

12. W Young ~ The Shack (4/5)

11. Charlaine Harris ~ An Ice Cold Grave (4/5)

10. Charlaine Harris ~ Grave Suprise (3/5)

9. Jodi Picoult ~ Change of Heart (5/5)

8. Charlaine Harris ~ Grave Sight (3/5)

7. Kate Mortan ~ The House at Riverton (4/5)

6. Alexandra Potter ~ Me and Mr Darcy (4/5)

5. Alan Carr ~ Look Who it is! Alan Carr My Story (3/5)

4. Stephenie Mayer ~ Breaking Dawn (1.5/5)

3. Stephenie Mayer ~ Eclipse (3/5)

2. Stephenie Mayer ~ New Moon (3/5)

1. Gregory Maguire ~ What The Dickens (4/5)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Mount To Be Read'

Christopher Paolini ~ Brisingr

Trudi Canavan ~ The Priestess of the White

Trudi Canavan ~ Last of The Wilds

Trudi Canavan ~ Voice of The Gods

Terry Pratchett ~ The Light Fantastic

Tess Gerritsen ~ In Their Footsteps

Tess Gerritsen ~ The Bone Garden

Tess Gerritsen ~ Stolen

Philippa Gregory ~ Wideacre

Philippa Gregory ~ Virgin Earth

Philippa Gregory ~ Fallen Skies

Jean Plaidy ~ The Lady in the Tower

Sarah Waters ~ Fingersmith

Elizabeth Chadwick ~ The Loveknot

Elizabeth Chadwick ~ Shadows and Strongholds

Elizabeth Chadwick ~ The Greatest Knight

Elizabeth Chadwick ~ The Champion

Elizabeth Chadwick ~ The Marsh King's Daughter

Elizabeth Chadwick ~ The Conquest

Elizabeth Chadwick ~ Daughters of The Grail

Kelley Armstrong ~ Exit Strategy (Nadia Stafford Bk 1)

Liz Maverick ~ Crimson City

Torey Hayden ~ Beautiful Child

John Boyne ~ The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas

Markus Zusak ~ The Book Thief

Sam Enthoven ~ The Black Tattoo

Jonathan Nasaw ~ The Girls He Adored

Jonathan Nasaw ~ Fear Itself

Jonathan Nasaw ~ 27 Bones

Kit Craig ~ Strait

Kim Harrison ~ Dead Witch Walking

Kim Harrison ~ The good, The Bad and The Undead

Kim Harrison ~ A Fistful of Charms

Karen Moline ~ Belladonna

John Connolly ~ The Book of Lost Things

Jeanne Kalogridis ~ Burning Times

Mitch Albom ~ For One More Day

Sarah Waters ~ Affinity

Raven Hart ~ The Vampire's Seduction

Raven Hart ~ The Vampire's Kiss

Eva Stachniak ~ Dancing With Kings

Slash: The Autobiography ~ Slash with Anthony Bozza

Suzanne Dunn ~ The Sixth Wife

Vicky Halls ~ Cat Counsellor

Stephen Foster ~ Walking Ollie

Christie Dickason ~ The Principessa

Natsuo Karino ~ Out

Mandasue Heller ~ The Pact

The Charmer ~ Mandasue Heller

Michael Faber ~ Under The Skin

Poppy Z Brite ~ Exquisite Corpse

Libba Bray ~ A Great and Terrible Beauty

Gregory Maguire ~ Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister

Gregory Maguire ~ A Lion Amongst Men

Charles Dickens ~ The Christmas Books

Kate Summerscale ~ The Suspicions Of Mr. Whicher

Kelley Armstrong ~ The Summoning (Darkest Powers Bk 1)

Trudi Canavan ~ Magicians Apprentice

Torey Hayden ~ The Sunflower Forest

Kelley Armstrong ~ Men of The Otherworld (Bk 1)

Martina Cole ~ The Business

Mary-Janice Davidson ~ Derik's Bane

Justine Picardie ~ Daphne

Kat Richardson ~ Poltergeist

Kelley Armstrong ~ The Awakening

Berlie Doherty ~ Dear Nobody

Norah Lofts ~ The Lost Queen

Norah Lofts ~ The Concubine

Jane Eagland ~ Wildthorn

Waiting to Arrive

My Wish List

Gregory Maguire ~ Lost

Jodi Picoult ~ Picture Perfect

Jodi Picoult ~ Songs of the Humpabck Whale

Kelley Armstrong ~ Frostbitten

Kelley Armstrong ~ Angelic

Kelley Armstong ~ Made To Be Broken (Nadia Stafford Bk 2)

Kelley Armstrong ~ Personal Demon (Women of the Otherworld Bk 8)

Maryjanice Davidson ~ Undead and Uneasy (book 6)

Maryjanice Davidson ~ Undead and Unworthy (book 7)

Maryjanice Davidson ~ Undead and Unwelcome (book 8)

Michele Bardsley ~ Because Your Vampire Said So (book 3)

Michele Bardsley ~ Wait til your Vampire gets home (book 4)

Michele Bardsley ~ Over my dead body (book 5)

Michele Bardsley ~ Come hell or high water (book 6)

Amy Molloy ~ Wife, Interrupted

LOLcat Bible: In Teh Beginnin Ceiling Cat Maded Teh Skiez an Da Erfs N Stuffs

Philippa Gregory ~ The White Queen

Tom Cox ~ Under The Paw: Confessions of a Cat Man

Martina Cole ~ Hard Girls

Alison Weir ~ The Lady in the Tower

• 2 weeks later...

What The Dickens

Gregory Maguire

This is a fairy tale with a difference from the bestselling author of Wicked . When ten-year-old Dinah and her two siblings are trapped by a terrible storm, Cousin Gage keeps their spirits up with an unlikely story - tooth fairies live in warring colonies right in your neighbourhood. Dinah is sceptical at first, but when the real world seems unbearable, stories told by candlelight have a way of coming true. Dinah starts to - wants to - believe. Don't we all?

Started: 01/01/09

Finished: 04/01/09

Rated: 4/5

Comments: Fantastic read. Another great take on a classic tale. Maguire has a really odd imagination and I love his writing style.

New Moon

Stephenie Mayer

All is not well between demon-magnet Bella and Edward Cullen, her vampire Romeo. An innocent papercut at Edward's house puts Bella in grave danger when various members of the Cullen family can barely resist their hunger at the smell of blood. The Cullens promptly leave town, afraid of endangering Edward's beloved, and Bella sinks into an overwhelming depression. Months later, she finally emerges from her funk to rebuild her life, focusing on her friendship with besotted teen Jacob from the reservation. Bella's unhealthy enthrallment to Edward leads her into dangerous and self-destructive behavior despite her new friends, and supernatural complications are bound to reappear. Bella's being hunted by an evil vampire, and Jacob's adolescent male rage turns out to be incipient lycanthropy: It seems many Quileute Indians become werewolves in the presence of vampires, their natural enemies. Psychic miscommunications and angst-ridden dramatic gestures lead to an exciting page-turner of a conclusion drenched in the best of Gothic romantic excess. Despite Bella's flat and obsessive personality, this tale of tortured demon lovers entices.

Started: 04/01/09

Finished: 13/01/09

Rated: 3/5

Comments: I'm loving the Vampire/Werewolf story within these books but I'm afraid Bella is getting on my wick. She's such a wet drip that it's actually distracting from the really great story within. For the record, I don't count the 'I'm in love with a vampire' story as the great story.

• 2 weeks later...

Eclipse

Stephenie Mayer

'Bella?' Edward's soft voice came from behind me. I turned to see him spring lightly up the porch steps, his hair windblown from running. He pulled me into his arms at once, and kissed me again. His kiss frightened me. There was too much tension, too strong an edge to the way his lips crushed mine - like he was afraid we had only so much time left to us. As Seattle is ravaged by a string of mysterious killings and a malicious vampire continues her quest for revenge, Bella once again finds herself surrounded by danger. In the midst of it all, she is forced to choose between her love for Edward and her friendship with Jacob - knowing that her decision has the potential to ignite the ageless struggle between vampire and werewolf. With her graduation approaching, Bella has one more decision to make: life or death. But which is which? Following the international bestsellers Twilight and New Moon, Eclipse is the much-anticipated third book in Stephenie Meyer's captivating saga of vampire romance.

Started: 13/01/09

Finished: 20/01/09

Comments: Another great chapter in the werewolf / vampire story. Not so much moaning by Bella this time, it was tolerable.

Breaking Dawn

Stephenie Mayer

To be irrevocably in love with a vampire is both fantasy and nightmare woven into a dangerously heightened reality for Bella Swan. Pulled in one direction by her intense passion for Edward Cullen, and in another by her profound connection to werewolf Jacob Black, she has endured a tumultuous year of temptation, loss and strife to reach the ultimate turning point. Her imminent choice to either join the dark but seductive world of immortals or pursue a fully human life has become the thread from which the fate of two tribes hangs. Now that Bella has made her decision, a startling chain of unprecedented events is about to unfold with potentially devastating and unfathomable consequences. Just when the frayed strands of Bella's life - first discovered in TWILIGHT, then scattered and torn in NEW MOON and ECLIPSE - seem ready to heal and knit together, could they be destroyed...forever?

Started: 20/01/09

Finished: 30/01/09

Rated: 1.5/5

Comments: Absolutely terrible plot and it was a shame I had to wade through 600 pages to get to anything of any interest. The cynical side of me thinks Mayer rushed out this book to coincide with the movie hype. It just added nothing to the series. A shame and 10 days I won't get back.

Hey Lilly, good to see your also reading the widely acclaimed Twilight series. Enjoying it so far I'm guessing by the 3/5's? Well maybe not enjoying, but putting up with! :roll:

• 2 weeks later...

Look Who it is! My Story

Alan Carr

The brilliantly funny and inimitable Alan Carr tells his life story in his own words, from growing up in a football-mad family in Northampton to his rise to become one of Britain's best-loved comedians.

Started: 30/01/09

Finished: 30/01/09

Comments: Good read which I didn't mean to start and finish in the same day, but you just can't help yourself. I had to laugh out loud in a few places, he has such a funny sense of humour. Although he hasn't done much in his 30 years, it's still a easy read.

Me and Mr Darcy

Alexandra Potter

After a string of disastrous dates, Emily Albright decides she’s had it with modern-day love and would much rather curl up with Pride and Prejudice and spend her time with Mr. Darcy, the dashing, honorable, and passionate hero of Jane Austen’s classic. So when her best friend suggests a wild week of margaritas and men in Mexico with the girls, Emily abruptly flees to England on a guided tour of Jane Austen country instead. Far from inspiring romance, the company aboard the bus consists of a gaggle of little old ladies and one single man, Spike Hargreaves, a foul-tempered journalist writing an article on why the fictional Mr. Darcy has earned the title of Man Most Women Would Love to Date.

The last thing Emily expects to find on her excursion is a broodingly handsome man striding across a field, his damp shirt clinging to his chest. But that’s exactly what happens when she comes face-to-face with none other than Mr. Darcy himself. Suddenly, every woman’s fantasy becomes one woman’s reality. . . .

Started: 31/01/09

Finished: 01/02/09

Comments: I really enjoyed this book. Very much along the lines of 'Lost in Austen' the TV programme. Funny in parts and so very very true. A must read for all my fellow Fitzwilliam Darcy fans :(

The House At Riverton

Kate Morton

A rich and compelling story of love, loss and a long-buried family secret

Summer 1924: On the eve of a glittering Society party, by the lake of a grand English country house, a young poet takes his life. The only witnesses, sisters Hannah and Emmeline Hartford, will never speak to each other again.

Winter 1999: Grace Bradley, 98, one-time housemaid of Riverton Manor, is visited by a young director making a film about the poet's suicide. Ghosts awaken and memories, long-consigned to the dark reaches of Grace's mind, begin to sneak back through the cracks. A shocking secret threatens to emerge; something history has forgotten but Grace never could.

A thrilling mystery and a compelling love story, The House at Riverton will appeal to readers of Ian McEwan's Atonement, L.P. Hartley's The Go-Between, and lovers of the film Gosford Park.

Started: 02/02/09

Finished: 14/02/09

Comments: I really enoyed this book. Despite it's length it was suprisingly easy to read and it only took me so long because work got in the way :roll:. Very likeable characters and and intriguing plot that wasn't over loaded with side stories.

• 2 weeks later...

Grave Sight

Charlaine Harris

Harper Connelly had a lucky escape when she was hit by lightning: she didn't die. But sometimes she wishes she had died, because the lightning strike left her with an unusual talent: she can find dead people - and that's not always comfortable. Everyone wants to know how she does it: it's a little like hearing a bee droning inside her head, or maybe the pop of a Geiger counter, a persistent, irregular noise that increases in strength as she gets closer. It's almost electric: a buzzing all through her body, and the fresher the corpse, the more intense the buzz. Harper and her brother Tolliver make their living from finding the dead, for desperate parents, worried friends . . . and police departments who have nowhere else to look. They may not believe in her abilities, but sometimes the proof is just too much for even the most sceptical of police chiefs to deny. But it's not always easy for someone like Harper, for the dead *want* to be found - and too often, finding the body doesn't bring closure; it opens a whole new can of worms.

Started: 17/02/09

Finished: 21/02/09

Comments: Not too sure if I really liked this one or not, although I can't put my finger on why. I managed to read it alright, (although it got a boring towards the end) but I think maybe too many twists and turns made my interest wane a bit. I still want to give the others a try so we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

Change of Heart

Jodi Picoult

June's first husband was killed in a car crash. Against all the odds, her daughter was uninjured and, in another miracle, June found love again with the policeman who rescued them. Six years on they are a happy family, June pregnant with their own child.

But now June's second daughter is dying without the new heart she so urgently needs. And her first daughter, along with her husband, is dead, killed by Shay Bourne, an itinerant workman they welcomed into their home. The crime was so heinous that Shay has been given the death penalty for the first time in 69 years in New Hampshire. Shay is going to die, and he is looking for redemption. He wants to give June's daughter his heart . . .

Started: 21/02/09

Finished: 28/02/09

Rated: 5/5

Comments: Absolutely fantastic book. Easily Picoult's best book, on par with My Sisters Keeper. An utterly compelling read and thought provoking all the way through.

Little Women

Louisa May Alcott

Set in a small New England community, it tells of the March family: Marmee looks after daughters in the absence of her husband, who is serving as an army chaplain in the Civil War, and Meg, Jo,Beth, and Amy experience domestic trials and triumphs as they attempt to supplement the family's small income. In the second part of the novel (sometimes known as Good Wives) the girls grow up and fall in love.

Started: 01/03/09

Finished: 22/05/09

Comments: Please don't take the time it took me to read this book as a reflection on it's quality. It was only because it's on my DS that it made it difficult to carry around with me for a quick read. I used to have this book on an audio record when I was little and the first chapter came back to me almost word for word. I loved it when I was little and I still love it now. It took me a while to get into the flow of the writing style but it wasn't too difficult to understand. Such a charming story, full of ups and downs that you really get drawn into.

• 2 weeks later...

Grave Suprise

Charlaine Harris

Charlaine Harris is already a star and a New York Times bestseller with her vampire mysteries starring Sookie Stackhouse and her Lily Bard mysteries. This second installment to her new supernatural mystery series might just be her biggest hit yet. Grave Sight's Harper Connelly is back, and her ability to find the dead and see their last moments is in higher demand than ever...

A college class gets more than it bargained for when Harper gives a demonstration of her uncanny talent. Instead of just finding one body in an old grave, she finds two: the original occupant and a recently deceased girl whom Harper had tried, and failed, to find two years previously. To dispel suspicions about her own innocence, Harper and her stepbrother Tolliver undertake their own hunt to find the killer-only to find yet another body in the same grave.

Started: 05/03/09

Finished: 14/03/09

Comments: Another good read from Harris. Although once again, I started to lose interest towards the end. I have the third in the series to read so I'm not quite ready to give up on them yet.

An Ice Cold Grave

Charlaine Harris

Harper Connelly was struck by lightning as a teenager, and now she can find the dead. In her third case, Harper and Tolliver, her stepbrother, are hired to find a missing grandson. But the truth is far worse than a single dead child, for numerous teenage boys, all unlikely runaways, have disappeared from Doraville, North Carolina. Harper soon finds the eight bodies, buried in the half-frozen ground, but then, still reeling from coming into contact with her first serial killer, she is attacked and injured. Now she and Tolliver have no choice but to stay in Doraville while she recovers, and as she reluctantly becomes part of the investigation, she learns more than she cares to about the dark mysteries and long-hidden secrets of the town: knowledge that makes her the most likely person to be next to end up in an ice-cold grave.

Started: 15/03/09

Finished: 15/03/09

Comments: This one I enjoyed most out of the Harper Connelly series. I think it's better written than the others, with a much better plot to it. I don't like the 'personal' plot involved but I kinda saw this developing from the first book.

The Shack

W.P. Young

Mackenzie Allen Philips' youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later in the midst of his Great Sadness, Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend. Against his better judgment he arrives at the shack on a wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change Mack's world forever. In a world where religion seems to grow increasingly irrelevant "The Shack" wrestles with the timeless question, "Where is God in a world so filled with unspeakable pain?" The answers Mack gets will astound you and perhaps transform you as much as it did him. You'll want everyone you know to read this book!

Started: 17/03/09

Finished: 25/03/09

Comments: I didn't pick this book up thinking it was as religiously orientated as it was. Obviously you get the idea from the back of the book that it is based in faith and belief but I wasn't quite expecting what I got. None the less, I have really enjoyed this book and have found that I appreciate the story within and the purpose. It has made me question some aspects of both my beliefs and religion in general. I think it's definately worth a read and I think it can be quite comforting and inspiring to many people.

Trudi Canavan ~ The Priestess of the White

Trudi Canavan ~ Last of The Wilds

Trudi Canavan ~ Voice of The Gods

Tess Gerritsen ~ Body Double

Tess Gerritsen ~ The Bone Garden

John Connolly ~ The Book of Lost Things

Natsuo Karino ~ Out

I've read all of the above books in your TBR pile, and enjoyed them all, you have some great reads ahead of you if you have not already read them.:yes:

I've not come across anyone else on this forum yet that has read the age of the five by Canavan or is waiting to, they all seem to read the magicians guild which I have not read myself but am still under the impression the age of the five is the best trilogy by Canavan. Its great to see some interest in it :)