The End of Mr Y by Scarlett Thomas

Janet

• 3 weeks later...

This is one of my favourite books. I read it last September, but I'm itching to read it again. I found the physics/maths/thought experiment element of the book hugely appealing, though it did take a while to try and comprehend what on Earth a wavefunction was.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone, though. It may be the best book I read last year. :lol:

• 1 month later...

I read this last month and, to my surprise, I actually enjoyed it (I'm not normally into sci-fi or fantasy). Here is my review:

This is a very odd book, but strangely enjoyable. Ariel is a PhD student with hardly any money to live on, and consequently hardly eats. She uses only one room in her flat, the kitchen, in which she has placed her settee. She turns up all the gas rings just to stay warm.

She

I'm glad you enjoyed it to the extent you did - though I understand why it could alienate some readers. Personally, being a fan of learning about physics generally, I knew most of the material in the book and yet it still managed to provide a conclusion I hadn't come to in reality (which I later posed to my genius brother, and he concurred about it being a nifty idea) - that of quantum physics necessitating the existence of a multiverse or a sentient God outside this universe due to the indefinite nature of unobserved quantum particles. (That's not really a spoiler, it's just a random discussion had in the book.)

God I loved this book. I must read it again.

Edited by Nollaig

I robbed this book from my parents house as I was browsing the bookshelves in the den and it looked burnt so I was like 'WOW a burn-' :D But I took it anyway and plan on reading it within the next three or four months :friends0:

• 4 months later...

I was really excited about reading this book, I got about half way through and realised I wasn't really enjoying it and have stopped. I don't really know what to do, it's rare that I don't get to the end of a book but I had such high expectations of this and I found myself drifting when I was reading it. Perhaps I was just in the wrong mood for it!

Reading through some of the posts here, I feel as though I have missed out on something, perhaps I'll have to pick it up again.

I was really excited about reading this book, I got about half way through and realised I wasn't really enjoying it and have stopped. I don't really know what to do, it's rare that I don't get to the end of a book but I had such high expectations of this and I found myself drifting when I was reading it. Perhaps I was just in the wrong mood for it!

Reading through some of the posts here, I feel as though I have missed out on something, perhaps I'll have to pick it up again.

I'm not sure you should.

While I really enjoyed the book I did form the opinion while reading it that it was the type of book you either really like or really don't like. I think that if you are around half way through it and are not enjoying it its probably just best to ditch it and move on.

I'm just about to pick this one up again while I'm waiting for a book order. I'm not really into it as yet, but I'm hoping it picks up and I'll not want to leave it so quick when the other books arrive! :D

• 2 months later...

I picked up this book when I was in Southampton last week, our local bookstore didn't have it (their english section is very small) and couldn't resist buying this one. I haven't quite finished it, but I love it! I'm about 2/3 in, and it's very diffrerent from everything I have read so far, I love that it's got philosophical (usually not a big fan of that) and science issues in it. Ariel took some getting used to, but now that the perspective is being switched around she doesn't annoy me anymore. I don't quite know what to make of this book, but that's why I love it. I can barely put it down everytime I start reading, and have to say it's both an easy and a complicated read. Easy is just the story, and complicated are some of the philosophy things. Or the science, if you have trouble with that, but am a science girl, so quite a bit of that I can understand at least partly. ;) Not everything, am no quantumphysicist. :blush:

Anyway, before I start rambling more, and the book hasn't sunk in yet since I haven't finished it, but just wanted to say I LOVE it! First recommendation I got from this forum that I bought and loved, and was something I'd never read otherwise. So thanks guys. ;)