Salman Rushdie novels

robson65

Hello everyone.

I'm new so please forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong place.

Salman Rushdie has been in the news a lot lately with the Booker of Bookers etc. but I've never read any of his stuff.

Which would be the best one to start with ?

Thanks

Robson

Midnight's Children, winner of all the prizes, is an utterly fantastic novel.

The only problem with it is that it has spawned millions of second-rate Anglo-Indian magical realist novels that keep undeservedly winning prizes.

But if you take it on its own merits, rather than those of its pale imitators, it's one of the best British books of the past 3 decades.

I am currently reading Midnight's Children and think it is wonderful, Salman Rushdie is a master story teller and his writing is beautiful, I can fully appreciate why this book was recently selected as the best ever booker.

Edited by shelbel

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm halfway through Midnight's Children now (was so curious about it as many of you said it's utterly great so I bumped it first on my pile) -- I can see why it's a masterpiece and very interestingly written (it's like everything in the book, including the writing, follows the pattern of being made out of fragments); however I find the story in itself advancing quite slowly, so I am not sure whether I actually do like it. Better yet, I think I would have absolutely loved it had it been about half the size (but then a lot of its feeling of many colorful fragments would have been lost).

As you can see I'm still in two minds about it, I'm looking forward to see how everything will develop and how I'll think about it in the end.