Computer Help Thread

Nici

I just don't know how they did it! I logged on at lunchtime (at work) and everything was fine. Maybe I should mention to the IT dept?

It is one of the downfalls of web based email. Hackers and people who do this kind of thing just because they can, exist unfortunately.

Email packages that are installed onto your PC such as thunderbird, outlook etc are a lot safer, they can be a pain to set up but you can also set it to forward on to you emails from other your other web based email accounts.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have tried to link outlook with my hotmail account before, but it is (sadly) beyond my capabilities!

I know the feeling! It is ridiculously difficult to do. Ways in which your account can be hacked can range from you registering or filling in an online form that was bogus and had no other intention than stealing your details, (this is how I was caught out), to there being a keystroke logger installed onto your PC via a trojan.

Do you have security software installed? I would suggest malware bytes search and destroy

a firewall such as Comodo and an antivirus such as avira

The antivirus and firewall run and update themselves automatically the others need to be manually updated and run probably at least once a week to reduce the chances of some cretin installing something onto your computer that is not supposed to be there.

Apologies if you already know this.

I should really get some of these firewalls and stuff but I'm not 100% sure how to work them and I refuse to pay all that money for it when I'm not sure what to do with it afterwards!

Your not on the internet without at least a firewall and antivirus software are you? That is a really bad idea. You shoiuld at the very very least have a firewall and antivirus. The two that I linked to are free.

I have Norton - will that do the job? (sorry for my ignorance, easily confused!!)

People in my contact list have received an e-mail with my name on it, quoting a website called universe-cosmos saying "Hey, check out my new iPhone" or similar :blush::tong:

Maybe they just used it to send an e-mail out regarding that one thing?

I have Norton - will that do the job? (sorry for my ignorance, easily confused!!)

People in my contact list have received an e-mail with my name on it, quoting a website called universe-cosmos saying "Hey, check out my new iPhone" or similar :blush::tong:

Norton is the software that seems to be automatically installed onto new PCs and people just accept that it does the job, which it does.

It does however take up an unnecessary amount of memory and will slow your PC down. There are imo much better totally free alternatives.

Dont install another one if you already have one installed though as they will conflict and make the problem worse!

I have AVG which only works when I do a scan, thats the extend of what I know about anti virus stuff. I have norton but it was installed and was only a trial and I ain't paying for it so just left it. Is that really bad?

AVG antivirus should be automatically set to run by itself in the background, so it should be doing it's thing without you even noticing, you should be able to go into the settings and set it to run a scan every other day/week whichever you prefer so you dont have to remember to do it.

What you mention is one of the main problems with Norton, that people just get a free trial and it runs out but still stays on the PC using up memory that could be used elsewhere. It's quite a pain to remove too if you dont know what you're doing.

If you do a quick google search on free security software for beginners, or words to that effect you will find explanations and recommendations for COMPLETELY FREE security software. I have never ever paid for any security software and never would.

That sounds like it could possibly be trying to send out an email which contains a virus that will trick people into thinkiing you have sent them an interesting link which when they click on it will screw their PC up. Or that website could contain download links to infected software etc.

Try if you can to inform people you know of what's happened and not to click on any links received from that address.

I just tried to uninstall that norton thing and it won't work. My stupid laptop doesn't have much space as it is!! hmm not a happy bunny now. Will my AVG be good enough on its own?

If you do a quick google search you should be able to find step by step instructions on how to uninstall norton, it's really not a necessary piece of software and is a total memory hog.

AVG is an antivirus it will do that job fine. But you also need a firewall such as comodo and a spyware detector such as spyware terminator/malware bytes search and destroy. Again a quick search on http://www.download.com will find them all and they are all free.

What does a firewall do?

I'm sorry I'm not stupid I'm blonde and I honestly don't know.

I am by no means an authority in PC security, I just know the basics really. A firewall basically monitors the information going out of and coming into your PC, and allows you to block information you dont want to come into your PC or go out.

For example when you connect to the internet if you for whatever reason didnt want MSN messenger to connect to the internet the firewall will ask if you want it to connect and if you choose no it wont be able to.

Here is a better explanation

Maybe an idea for you all, if you are so inclined, to contact a local PC maintenance company who would be able to physically take a look at your machine and install necessary software and get rid of any nasties that maybe lurking.

DO NOT ask PC World and other such large companies to do this, contact a local independent company.

My local PC World charge about