Do you keep your books?

Michelle

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too used to keep them all, then one day I just bagged stacks up and gave them away :shock:

Now I wished I'd kept them and sold them on ebay or something, I could have made lots of money to buy more books.

Nowadays I get alot of books from the library, but the ones I do buy I tend to sell as I find it hard to reread a book, once is generally enough for me, seeing as there are so many books I want to read, I'd never get through them if I kept rereading everything.

I keep most of mine as I like ot be able to go back & reread them. Many are gifts too, so I feel like it'd be a bit of a slap in the face to pass them on (unless I really didn't enjoy them - LOL!). Occasoinally I have a clearout to make room for new books & in the past they either got sold or sent to a charity shop. Recently, though, I've gotten into swapping, so I'm not really clearing much space, but still getting new books - LOL! Still, it's a great way to try out new authors without having to hand over loads of cash.

I keep all my hardback books, but generally give away the paperbacks. If I like an author I tend to collect their books in hardback. Although at the moment all of our books are packed away apart from the ones bought recently. We desperately need more bookcase space.

I keep the books by the authors I love and read faithfully no matter what but anything else I tend to get rid of. If I know I'm never going to read it again there is absolutely no point in me keeping it. So I either give them to a used book store (most of them here tend to give you store credit so you can buy books there for cheaper) or give them away to someone who wants them. I'm not picky about these either, if they're hardback and I'm not going to touch them again they go. The only hardbacks I buy that are expensive are by the authors that I love so I'm not going to get rid of those.

The biggest problem I have with being such a bookworm is I always seem to run out of space. I had 4 bookshelves in our apartment, then we had to cut back due to more limited space and adding a baby to the household so I cut back to 2 and am about to cut back further because I have no room to get more of my favorites.

• 6 months later...

I’m finding that I keep fewer books these days. Unless I really adore them, they’re getting passed on, whether via sale or swap. It used to be much more of a wrench to have a clear out when the shelves got too full and the cupboards were bursting, but I recently barely blinked an eye when I took about 30 books off my TBR pile and decided not to read them after all, but to give them a chance at a home where they’ll be loved. Not so long ago, I couldn’t have done that at all! However, I still keep books that are gifted to me and books that are part of a series that I particularly like (all my Pratchetts, Scarrows and Armstrongs are staying put, I’m afraid!) and I occasionally get one through a swap that I decide I’ll want to read again at some point in the future…

My Dad is going to be moving within the next few months and will be clearing out his loft. No doubt I’ll have to sort through more books!

My books are mine - hand off!

I occassionally bookcross books - but they tend to be books that I end up with duplicates of, or things that were given to me that I didn't really connect with.

The dream is to make sure the house that we buy (eventually!) has an extra room to keep my books in!!!

I keep many of my books, to lend to others or reread if I enjoyed them. If I didn't really like them enough to share or reread I give them away, I usually do a BookCrossing wild release but no one has claimed to have caught them yet, maybe I should leave better books.

• 5 weeks later...

Ah, now lending.....a friendly thing to do. However I have had unfortunate experiences with lending, so try to avoid it. If I do lend a book, I count it as gone in my mind.

I do enjoy giving someone a book I know they will enjoy though. Almost as good as getting one myself. :)

Mine, mine mine, mine!!!!! Think Golum and that precious ring. For me books are a comfort and I hoard them. Lending...... rare for me. They NEVER come back. I've bought three copies of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime because I keep lending it out and it keeps disappearing. I try to buy only hardbacks when possible and I have no problem with used so that saves me some money. However if it came down to a choice between books and food, books would win, hands down.

One bright side; when I die someone is going to get an amazing hard cover book collection. :)

Well I have lent about seven books to a friend at church. He might keep them for ayear or two until he has passed them round his wife and children, but they always come back. My sister is reading a couple too.

I am just anxious about the Da Vinci Code that I lent to a Christian friend at uni not long before I left. I kepp sending her texts (as a gentle reminder) asking what she thinks.