Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones

kitty_kitty

Mister Pip - Lloyd Jones

Synopsis

'You cannot pretend to read a book. Your eyes will give you away. So will your breathing. A person entranced by a book simply forgets to breathe. The house can catch alight and a reader deep in a book will not look up until the wallpaper is in flames.' Bougainville. 1991. A small village on a lush tropical island in the South Pacific. Eighty-six days have passed since Matilda's last day of school as, quietly, war is encroaching from the other end of the island. When the villagers' safe, predictable lives come to a halt, Bougainville's children are surprised to find the island's only white man, a recluse, re-opening the school. Pop Eye, aka Mr Watts, explains he will introduce the children to Mr Dickens. Matilda and the others think a foreigner is coming to the island and prepare a list of much needed items. They are shocked to discover their acquaintance with Mr Dickens will be through Mr Watts' inspiring reading of Great Expectations. But on an island at war, the power of fiction has dangerous consequences. Imagination and beliefs are challenged by guns.Mister Pip is an unforgettable tale of survival by story; a dazzling piece of writing that lives long in the mind after the last page is finished.

I loved this book in fact i would have read it in one sitting but there was torchwood to watch.

I really enjoyed this but although i found some bits disturbing such as

Such as brning of Mr Watts possesions and the murder of Mr Watts and the rape and murder of Matildas mother

What do other people think?

I've not read it yet, but I bought it just last weekend and hope to get to it fairly soon (ie within the next couple of months - LOL!). It just really grabbed my attention and I think that reading this might even make reading the Dickens (which I intend to do at some point) a little easier and more fun!

Mister Pip - Lloyd Jones

I really enjoyed this but although i found some bits disturbing such as

Such as brning of Mr Watts possesions and the murder of Mr Watts and the rape and murder of Matildas mother

What do other people think?

I enjoyed the book but was shocked by the same bits - I really didn't see them coming.

• 1 month later...

I agree with all of that (except the amount of time it took me to read the book), Janet.

[i don't know how much of this needs spoiler tags, but just in case...]

As I mentioned in my bloggy thing, I tend to find books about books to be awkward, forced, and generally a lack of imagination on the part of the author; and desperately self-referential. This doesn't have that failing in the slightest.

I was wondering about the marshes, too, by the way, because I've cycled along past Erith along the Thames, and they definitely seemed to be there; as are the marshlands further out on the Isle of Grain and around Cliffe.

The way the book accelerates in time towards the end reminds me of something I've found frustrating in other books (particularly Captain Correlli), but again it works here because of the way the book ends.

I love the multiple levels of Pip, too. Not that I've ever read Great Expectations, but that seems to not be a problem. The Mr Watts as Pip, and then Matilda as Pip, as well as Pip as Pip, all work. They're all kind of family-free; all have a sort of benefactor; you don't really know how much of each story is true and how much is exaggerated for effect (as Matilda describes Dickens doing to all his characters).

Oh, and 2 more things, not in my Spoilered post:

(1) What a great book. Well worth reading. Interestingly different yet easy to read. I quite often think people will struggle with some books I like, and advise them away. I don't think there's anyone who should be afraid of this

(2) The other Lloyd Jones book I read, Biografi, was also great.

• 4 months later...

Yes, a wonderful book, so easy to read, funny and shocking at times. I had a hard time placing the setting within the last twenty years, partly because it seemed so colonial, but also because I had no memory of the events described (bless Wikipedia for a quick history lesson of Papua New Guinea for the woefully ignorant like me).

• 6 months later...

This was a one day read for me. I had a day off, so went for a day trip, and with a 90 minute train ride, plus a few coffee shops, I was nearing the end as I had lunch in a cafe. I was so shocked by the events everyone above has mentioned (see the spoilers!), as they were unexpected and brutal, that I ate my lunch with tears running down my face. I loved the book completely, and some of the highlights were the villagers coming into the school house to tell stories to the children, and the joy of the children remembering words, lines and scenes from the book.

A very enjoyable read, and I absolutely loved it.

I finished reading this a couple of weeks ago. It was very easy to read and as many of you have already mentioned - certain parts shocked me. I also had trouble placing the events and like Ravenwood I researched the island to find out the exact details. The additional research aided my enjoyment of the book. The author captures the prejudices of the time and also the horrors of war extremely well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...