Goodreads

It's not a perfect site but it's, in my opinion, the best one around. I prefer my Book Collector though for keeping track of my collection. But for seeing what your friends read and all that, GoodReads is good (plus, recommendations and information).

It's not the content of the site I had an issue with, it was the privacy policy.  I refuse to sign up to a site where I'm not happy with the level of personal information of mine that they may want to share(/sell) with other websites and/or companies, and not have the right to opt out.  I'll stick to BCF.

There's always LibraryThing if you don't like GoodReads. They are similar in many ways but there are things to LT that I personally don't like (like, if you add more than 200 books, you have to pay an annual sum. Not that it's very expensive and not worth it, but I personally like my book cataloguing business to be free of charge). 

Edit: The thing in red is something I am not quite sure about, it's just this vague possible memory of mine. People who use LT would know better!

I did look at LibraryThing, but the amount of books I have, I would have had to pay the annual sum, and I've already got a database at home for my own catalogue, plus I share all my reading and reviews with people here, so I didn't think it was worth it.  Goodreads does look fun for comparison with other users and recommendations based on my own reading, but never mind, you can't miss what you've never had! :D

Edited by chesilbeach

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's not the content of the site I had an issue with, it was the privacy policy.  I refuse to sign up to a site where I'm not happy with the level of personal information of mine that they may want to share(/sell) with other websites and/or companies, and not have the right to opt out.  I'll stick to BCF.

I did look at LibraryThing, but the amount of books I have, I would have had to pay the annual sum, and I've already got a database at home for my own catalogue, plus I share all my reading and reviews with people here, so I didn't think it was worth it.  Goodreads does look fun for comparison with other users and recommendations based on my own reading, but never mind, you can't miss what you've never had! :D

I can't remember what's on the privacy policy of Goodreads :blush: And what I don't know, doesn't hurt me, right? :blush: Don't tell me!! :D 

Yes, you can't miss what you've never had. You're not missing anything, actually. This thread is an elaborate hoax and Goodreads actually sucks ass. :yes:

:giggle::D

There's always LibraryThing if you don't like GoodReads. They are similar in many ways but there are things to LT that I personally don't like (like, if you add more than 200 books, you have to pay an annual sum. Not that it's very expensive and not worth it, but I personally like my book cataloguing business to be free of charge). 

Edit: The thing in red is something I am not quite sure about, it's just this vague possible memory of mine. People who use LT would know better! 

Library Thing does charge for over 200 books.  However the subscriber has a choice.  Either pay the annual fee of 10.00 USD or a one-time only fee of 25.00 USD.  At that rate, it's paid for itself in two and a half years, and subscriber is home free. 

I like that I can add duplicates, of which we have, er....a few.  :lurker:

There is a huge list of languages in the upper right of the home screen one can see prior to signing in to choose from as well. 

Also, if the ISBN is not in their system, one can manually add a book with ease. 

Just sayin'.  :D

Edited by pontalba

Like Frankie, I'm also not sure what their policy is. But since I've signed up and am using it, it's probably better not to know. I don't like it when sites do too much with your information. I'm very much for keeping accounts seperate, my facebook/twitter/youtube/goodreads/etc etc etc aren't linked to each other.

Also, if the ISBN is not in their system, one can manually add a book with ease.

Could you tell me how to do this? Or is it a feature they added recently, therefore I should see it easily if I sign in?

Could you tell me how to do this? Or is it a feature they added recently, therefore I should see it easily if I sign in?

After you log in, on the Home Page you'll see "add books", it's in the upper brown stripe at the top of the page. 

click on that, then when that page comes up, scroll down a bit and you'll see "Other Options".  There are three options in a row there.  The middle one, "add manually" is clickable.  Click on that and you'll be given a page with a form to fill in with book title, author.....all the particulars of the book.  Fill in as much as you can and scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Save".   Once you click on "Save", you'll be given back the "add books" page with the just added information in the "Recently added" list of books.  :)

This feature has been there for the years I've been using Library Thing, maybe as much as 8 years ago.  If you run into trouble, just post here and I'll answer as best I am able. :)

Edited by pontalba

After you log in, on the Home Page you'll see "add books", it's in the upper brown stripe at the top of the page. 

click on that, then when that page comes up, scroll down a bit and you'll see "Other Options".  There are three options in a row there.  The middle one, "add manually" is clickable.  Click on that and you'll be given a page with a form to fill in with book title, author.....all the particulars of the book.  Fill in as much as you can and scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Save".   Once you click on "Save", you'll be given back the "add books" page with the just added information in the "Recently added" list of books.  :)

This feature has been there for the years I've been using Library Thing, maybe as much as 8 years ago.  If you run into trouble, just post here and I'll answer as best I am able. :)

Thanks Pontalba! I must have missed it when I was using it before :).

A notebook is nice, I love notebooks with book stuff on them, but Goodreads has it's own perks :cool: I would say 650 books is a very good and big collection, no need to be humble! :D

I hope you get all your book boxes unpacked, they must be feeling abandoned and lonely  :empathy:  Brave little fellas! 

I also have a great appreciation of notebooks...and type of stationery to be honest. Anything book related to to be favourited lol. I must own that a healthy chunk of my book collection is made up of my childhood, text, and reference books. A little less impressive with them removed from the quota. :)

I hope to begin showing my books how well loved and appreciated all their individual souls are on the morrow when I begin my unpack.

I love using goodreads, because it's an easy way to keep track of the books I have read and the ones I want to read whether I own them or not. It's really great for when I'm not feeling like reading any of the books I own and I check some out from the library. I usually go on goodreads, pick a couple of my want to read books, and then place a hold on them online. 

The internet is a beautiful thing :D

*light bulb moment* You have given me an idea when it comes to ordering my books, BSchultz! I do not have direct access to a library due to the remoteness of where I dwell, however, I am able to order from a mainland library and have books delivered every 4 weeks. Many a time when ordering I simply go blank on which books to pick, but once I have my Goodreads up and running sufficiently I can just peruse my TBR list whilst on the phone ordering. :D

I also have a great appreciation of notebooks...and type of stationery to be honest. Anything book related to to be favourited lol. I must own that a healthy chunk of my book collection is made up of my childhood, text, and reference books. A little less impressive with them removed from the quota. :)

I hope to begin showing my books how well loved and appreciated all their individual souls are on the morrow when I begin my unpack.

We actually have a thread on here for notebookholics anonymous :D I'll try and find it for you! Don't you just love notebooks and stuff? I guess it's basically a fondness of paper :wub: And the idea of writing on it. The things people like.... :rolleyes::D

Oh and when you are unpacking your books and cataloguing and putting them on your shelf, do take pictures, please! We have a thread for that, too. I'll come up with the links soon. 

Edit: 

Notebookholics Anonymous

Show Your Bookshelf 

Edited by frankie

*light bulb moment* You have given me an idea when it comes to ordering my books, BSchultz! I do not have direct access to a library due to the remoteness of where I dwell, however, I am able to order from a mainland library and have books delivered every 4 weeks. Many a time when ordering I simply go blank on which books to pick, but once I have my Goodreads up and running sufficiently I can just peruse my TBR list whilst on the phone ordering. :D

I have a notebook too. Mainly because I just love writing things down despite my awful boyish handwriting  :giggle2:

Also, I'm glad I could help! I get the same way when I get ready to get books from the library. I completely go blank about what I really want to read. The easiest thing to do in that moment is look at my "To Read" on goodreads and pick three or four. I'm very sad that I'll be leaving the area of my library  :cry: 

We actually have a thread on here for notebookholics anonymous :D I'll try and find it for you! Don't you just love notebooks and stuff? I guess it's basically a fondness of paper :wub: And the idea of writing on it. The things people like.... :rolleyes::D

Oh and when you are unpacking your books and cataloguing and putting them on your shelf, do take pictures, please! We have a thread for that, too. I'll come up with the links soon. 

Edit: 

Notebookholics Anonymous

Show Your Bookshelf 

Thank you for the links, frankie!

Notebooks, notepads, writing paper etc are all things that I would buy without hesitation...even if I have a enough to fill a warehouse. Writing paper is my particular fancy at present. I love writing the traditional snail mail letters, and presenting them on something like a linen notepaper is a sugar high to me. :giggle2:

I have my bookshelves set up, albeit haphazardly, but I shall take pics as I fill them with my old paper friends.

I have a notebook too. Mainly because I just love writing things down despite my awful boyish handwriting  :giggle2:

Also, I'm glad I could help! I get the same way when I get ready to get books from the library. I completely go blank about what I really want to read. The easiest thing to do in that moment is look at my "To Read" on goodreads and pick three or four. I'm very sad that I'll be leaving the area of my library  :cry: 

I *think* writing things down becomes habitual after awhile. I carry a notebook with me wherever I go and jot down thoughts, ideas and little notes that may be of interest or be helpful in regards to my WIPs. My handwriting is more akin to a chicken scratch lol.

Yes, thank you, BSchultz, your idea was grand. :smile: I'm sorry, you'll not be near another library?

Thank you for the links, frankie!

Notebooks, notepads, writing paper etc are all things that I would buy without hesitation...even if I have a enough to fill a warehouse. Writing paper is my particular fancy at present. I love writing the traditional snail mail letters, and presenting them on something like a linen notepaper is a sugar high to me. :giggle2:

I have my bookshelves set up, albeit haphazardly, but I shall take pics as I fill them with my old paper friends.

I *think* writing things down becomes habitual after awhile. I carry a notebook with me wherever I go and jot down thoughts, ideas and little notes that may be of interest or be helpful in regards to my WIPs. My handwriting is more akin to a chicken scratch lol.

Yes, thank you, BSchultz, your idea was grand. :smile: I'm sorry, you'll not be near another library?

I will be near it, but I don't have a card and it is much smaller than the one here at home. The beginning of the year is the only time that the space between breaks is too long to get books from home and just renew them.  :blush2:

I will be near it, but I don't have a card and it is much smaller than the one here at home. The beginning of the year is the only time that the space between breaks is too long to get books from home and just renew them.  :blush2:

How disappointing. :( 

I've found Goodreads a great place to wander around seeing people's recommendations and ratings of books. The is another place where people can see the old adage 'one man's trash is another man's treasure' at work.

I've been on Goodreads for a couple of years now. I had been looking for a way of keeping track of what I'd read and where I could write reviews and this fits the bill. I love reading book reviews; I like seeking out ones with the opposite opinion to the one I have of a book, it's good to see a different perspective.

• 2 weeks later...

I just started a Goodreads account- Anna Begins.  What do I do now? :giggle2:  I'm just adding things and rating right now.  So far, it's all horror :P Need to throw some Catherine Ryan Hyde into the mix!

Hopefully I swnt the right Anna a friend request on goodreads :)

:smile: Thanks!  I gotcha!  And I've already downloaded one book sample!  I'm only up to 121 read books, but I'm not at my house with my shelves so that's all this year's reads and my memory of what I've read! :giggle2: I only spent an hour on it but am going back soon tonight before bed (which should be now!!)

I'd rather see discussion stay here to be honest. :)

Me too.  I'm still getting used to it, just noticed there was a Book Group section :smile: I'm mainly just checking it out.

Edited by Anna Begins

How do I change my "reading now" book?

One way to do it is to go to your Home page, look to the right upper corner.  You'll see "Currently Reading" with a list of your current books.  You can "update your status", "add a book", or add a "general update". 

Your Home page will list "discussions" on books on your shelves, or if you click the tab "updates", you'll get updates from your friends. 

P.S.  I've added you as a friend over there, I'm Cateline on GR. :)

Edited by pontalba

One way to do it is to go to your Home page, look to the right upper corner.  You'll see "Currently Reading" with a list of your current books.  You can "update your status", "add a book", or add a "general update". 

Your Home page will list "discussions" on books on your shelves, or if you click the tab "updates", you'll get updates from your friends. 

P.S.  I've added you as a friend over there, I'm Cateline on GR. :)

Oh that is much easier than trying with all those edit clicks in the main list.  :doh: I friended you back- thanks :smile: I'm still getting a feel for the place, but already have one recommendation :giggle2: (Trying to be happy today)

Is anyone else having problems with being (automatically) signed out on GoodReads?  If I change tabs and then go back, maybe 10 minutes later and click to go to the "Home" page, I get the sign in page.  It's happened about 4 times this morning.  Annoying, to say the least, as I usually keep several tabs up and go back and forth.  It's never done this before, and I haven't changed anything.

• 2 months later...

When you have to manually create a book on the site, how do you add a picture of the book cover? :shrug:

Edit: Oh, I found out how to do it. Never mind! :)

Edit: Hm... If someone's manually added a book to the collection, and I've read the book, too, but that book doesn't have a book cover... How can I go edit it and download a book cover for it? Without making just a new edition. Can I edit someone's manual addition, to add a book cover?

Edited by frankie