Waterstones Points Card Changing

Janet

Waterstones are changing the way their loyalty scheme works.

At the moment they give 1 point for every £3 spent - plus, if you spend £10 you get a stamp on a paper card.  Once the card is full (10 stamps, so £100 total spend) you were able to get £10 off a book purchase.  However, the 'new' card replaces the paper one and now when you spend 10 x £10 (€12 in the ROI/European stores) you will get £10 off, but no more 1 point for £3.

If you spend between £5 and £9.99 on eligible items, they will earn half a stamp as a single item purchase 'Single Book Bonus'.

I have asked what will happen to the points I've been saving on my plastic card but so far have had no reply.  I hope they don't reduce in value - I will have to spend them quickly if they will!  Paper cards can be swapped for electronic points.

I hope all that makes sense!

I will be very sad to say goodbye to my card which is one from when Bath was one of five stores participating in the trial!

Terms & Conditions here

I've had a couple of emails from them and they say that points can be transferred onto the new card from the old one, so don't worry about using them up now - if you go to their website they have details on there as well.  I've lost 2 stamp cards now (including one which was full:angry: so will be quite glad to only have one to worry about!

Always thought it was a bit odd that they were running two loyalty schemes at the same time.  

I like the stamp cards, there's something a tad old-school about them that appeals to me.

I currently have one that is half-full, so I'm guessing I'll need to trade it in at some point!  Good that they are giving half points for spending a fiver, when a lot of books are in the £7-9 range.

• 4 weeks later...

I got  the new card the other day, and they transferred my existing balance over.  I'm also glad that you get a half-stamp now for a fiver, as I always thought that was a bit unfair, especially when so many paperbacks are £8 or £9 now.

That’s fine, but you used to get points for every pound spent, so if I had a coffee in the cafe I would get points for that but now only if I spend over £5, which I never do as I’m usually on my own. I would have preferred to stop the stamp cards and just stick with points.

Yes I think the points card is better too, especially as I was in the habit of losing the stamp card as it was much lighter and used to fall out of my wallet all the time!  I lost two that way, including one which was full:angry:

On ‎24‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 11:11 AM, chesilbeach said:

That’s fine, but you used to get points for every pound spent, so if I had a coffee in the cafe I would get points for that but now only if I spend over £5, which I never do as I’m usually on my own. I would have preferred to stop the stamp cards and just stick with points.

Go to Costa! (I quote often walk around my local Waterstone's holding one!).