Sign in to follow this  
chesilbeach

Your Book Activity - December 2017

Welcome to the December book activity log!

I read an easy M. C. Beaton book yesterday called Duke's Diamonds, and I've now started How To Be A Heroine by Samantha Ellis which is a non-fiction book looking at how the heroines of the books she read growing up actually stack up to scrutiny as a grown up, and whether they should be heroines in today's society.  It's brilliant so far, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Finished listening to The Summer Seaside Kitchen by Jenny Colgan this afternoon, and I'm halfway through How To Be A Heroine which is fantastic.

Spent a bit of time this morning planning some reading lists for next year.  There's a few authors I'd like to read more of as well as starting some lists based on some book podcasts I listen to, so I've been starting getting some lists together. :) 

Completed Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson early today.  A book to which I need to return to get the most out of it, especially as I was reading it most evenings on the verge of sleep.  It needs (demands!) more from the reader!

Started Arnold Bennett's The Card.  A much lighter feel to this than my two earlier Bennet reads this year - The Old Wives' Tale and Clayhanger.

Edited by willoyd

On 06/12/2017 at 8:38 PM, willoyd said:

Started Arnold Bennett's The Card.  A much lighter feel to this than my two earlier Bennet reads this year - The Old Wives' Tale and Clayhanger.

And finished - a quick, easy read.  Moved on to Roger Knight's doorstopper biography of Nelson, The Pursuit of Victory - I promised myself at least one historical biggie this year, and haven't got around to it - running a bit short of time now (it's not as big as John Sugden's two-parter though!)  !  It promises much, but my hardback copy is fairly (!) chunky and untransportable, so have also put Elizabeth Taylor's Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont in my bag to read when travelling round, although, knowing me, I'll need to finish what I've started and will struggle to sustain two books simultaneously.

I'm halfway through Mansfield Park by Jane Austen. It's not Christmas reading but I'm loving it. 

This is is my third Austen (after P and P and Emma) but this - so far - is my favourite. I'm finding it really engaging and can't wait to have a chance to pick it up. Just wish December wasn't so busy and I could devote more time to it! 

I'm just past the halfway mark with The Man With a Load of Mischief by Martha Grimes, and it's REALLY good!  If anyone's looking for a Christmassy, snowy, murder mystery, then this one gets two thumbs up.

Currently reading Five Little Pigs by Agatha Christie.  Sent my daughter to the library for me last week when I was sick and she came back with this (and a few others).  She chose well.

Round Robin Challenge for 2018

Madeleine and I would like to invite you to join in on a new challenge for 2018 - one designed to help you make at least some inroads into any 'to read' book list/pile/shelf/shelves that you might have.  Please see the post I've put up in the Reading Challenges area - here.  It's a bit wordy, but it's trying to explain reasonably comprehensively how the challenge works.

Please feel free to ask any questions on that thread - and to sign up if you'd like to take part!

Edited by willoyd