Looking for a good WW2 book

I'm looking into reading a intresting World war 2 book. Mainly about the Nazi's side of the story. I've been looking at "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" but i also saw alot more books about the Nazis. If anybody have read books about the Nazi's side of the story can you give one to recommend me? Thanks!

Hey there Fuji! I am not really interested in the subject but I read a Danish author religiously back when I was in highschool and his name was Sven Hassel. He participated in WW2 on the German side and after the war wrote the books about his experiences. He fought all over Europe, from Italy to Russia and he showed a very different side of the war. A human and cruel one, the war of the random soldier. There is a certain degree of controversy surrounding his works mind you, some even saying that he never even served in the war but I find it hard to believe and even so it does not make his books any less good. 

Hope this helps you a little. 

Hi Fuji,

I can recommend Das Boot by Lothar Gunther Buchheim. While it's a fictional story, it is drawn from the author's actual experiences on a U-boat during WW2.

Although not about Nazis, The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer would be my recommendation. He was a young French/German soldier in the GrossDeutchland Division on the Russian Front. 

Hi Fuji,

I can recommend Das Boot by Lothar Gunther Buchheim. While it's a fictional story, it is drawn from the author's actual experiences on a U-boat during WW2.

Wow the movie was made after a book? Thx for mentioning it, I will add it to my TBR list. The movie was excellent so I now have high hopes for the book. 

I'm looking into reading a intresting World war 2 book. Mainly about the Nazi's side of the story.

Do you mean from a Nazi viewpoint, or from a German viewpoint?  Or do you mean focusing on the Nazis/Germans?  Fiction or non-fiction? You give The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich as an example, but that's not from the Nazi/German perspective, so am a bit uncertain what precisely you would like recommended.

In the meantime, I can second Das Boot simply because it's a great novel.

Edited by willoyd

I can recommend I Flew For The Fuhrer by Heinz Knoke - he was a pilot in the Luftwaffe in WW2. A fascinating account of how his experiences - dogfights, seeing friends killed, etc - changed his outlook on life and his opinions of Germany and their role in the war.