Your Book Activity - May 2016

frankie

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished The Girl With All the Gifts about a week ago. I actually I really enjoyed it.

I'm over two thirds of the way through, so should get it finished tomorrow. For the most part I'm really enjoying it too. Dying to read the end, I've no idea what happens but I've heard a lot of references to the end in reviews!

I've had a very slow reading month, but I've finally gotten into Ben Aaronovitch's Moon Over Soho. I've read about 100 pages today, on top of a lot yesterday, and I plan to finish it today. :)

I've had a very slow reading month, but I've finally gotten into Ben Aaronovitch's Moon Over Soho. I've read about 100 pages today, on top of a lot yesterday, and I plan to finish it today. :)

Kylie, I hope you don't mind, but I think you meant to post this in the "Your Book Activity" thread rather than the "Books you can't finish" thread, so I moved your post here. If you disagree, feel free to move it back but I thought this is what you meant to do as it didn't make any sense to me in the other thread.

The next book I'm going to read is Geronimo Stilton - Reis Door De Tijd 4 (Viaggio Nel Tempo 4).

I finished The Girl With All the Gifts about a week ago. I actually I really enjoyed it.

I'm over two thirds of the way through, so should get it finished tomorrow. For the most part I'm really enjoying it too. Dying to read the end, I've no idea what happens but I've heard a lot of references to the end in reviews!

I thoroughly enjoyed this too, what did you think Noll? I noticed you gave it 5 stars on Goodreads, high praise from you! I bought his new book, Fellside on Monday, I need to get to it soon to make it worth the silly price I paid for the hardback in Waterstone's! :)

I thoroughly enjoyed this too, what did you think Noll? I noticed you gave it 5 stars on Goodreads, high praise from you! I bought his new book, Fellside on Monday, I need to get to it soon to make it worth the silly price I paid for the hardback in Waterstone's! :)

I loved it - it definitely had a couple of flaws and early on I was thinking 'it would be better if', but I absolutely bloody loved the ending. I thought it was a really solid read - if I was still doing half stars I'd probably give it 4.5, but I was feeling generous so I rounded up rather than down. 

Oooh he has another book?! Must look into that. 

I loved it - it definitely had a couple of flaws and early on I was thinking 'it would be better if', but I absolutely bloody loved the ending. I thought it was a really solid read - if I was still doing half stars I'd probably give it 4.5, but I was feeling generous so I rounded up rather than down. 

Oooh he has another book?! Must look into that. 

Yes, it is called Fellside, this is the Goodreads synopsis:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26030697-fellside

Kylie, I hope you don't mind, but I think you meant to post this in the "Your Book Activity" thread rather than the "Books you can't finish" thread, so I moved your post here. If you disagree, feel free to move it back but I thought this is what you meant to do as it didn't make any sense to me in the other thread.

Oops, thanks! That's what happens when you have so many tabs open at once. :)

I finished Crimson Shore over the weekend and took a day or two to decide what to read next.  I started A Place of Execution by Val McDermid last night and I'm feeling a little so-so about it.  Oh well, we shall see!

I'm still reading Terry Brooks - Original Shannara Trilogy 1: The Sword of Shannara. It's enjoyable, but it is a bit slow paced sometimes so I don't feel like I'm making much progress compared with reading time (this bothers me! The omnibus pages are so huge and it's awkward to hold). I also feel it's a bit too similar to The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien, at times. The plot twists are good for the most part though. I'm pretty far into it, so hopefully I can read something else in a little while.

I finished Moon Over Soho this morning. I thought about moving straight on to the next book in the series, but instead I've decided to (finally) get back to reading the Sookie Stackhouse series. So I've started reading the ninth book, Dead and Gone.

Still reading Sister by Rosamund Lupton - found it slow to start, and I still keep getting confused about whether we're in the present or past when she's talking to the two different police guys, but I'm enjoying it a lot more than I was.

Next up/concurrently will be The Loney by Andrew Michael Hurley.

I also seriously need to catch up on book reviews.

Still reading Sister by Rosamund Lupton - found it slow to start, and I still keep getting confused about whether we're in the present or past when she's talking to the two different police guys, but I'm enjoying it a lot more than I was.

Next up/concurrently will be The Loney by Andrew Michael Hurley.

I also seriously need to catch up on book reviews.

I'm eager to hear how you like Sister...I nearly bought The Loney today but decided against it as have bought far too many new books this week. That said, I had £15 of birthday money left so thought I would see what I could find in the charity shops in town! Not a bad haul I thought:

The Lake House - Kate Morton

The Virgin Blue - Tracy Chevalier (I've heard good things about Chevalier on here so thought I should give her a go sometime!)

The Guest Cat - Takashi Hiraide

The Secret Scripture - Sebastian Barry

A Cornish Affair - Liz Fenwick

Hothouse Flower - Lucinda Riley

The Girl on the Cliff - Lucinda Riley

The Beekeeper's Daughter - Santa Montefiore

The Italian Matchmaker - Santa Montefiore

That makes 32 books bought or acquired since Monday! :o I'm stopping now.  :D

32 new books :thud: Enjoy!

I've read a couple Chevaliers and enjoyed them, though I have to admit they didn't stick with me. Might go back and read one or two, coz it's been a few years.

32 new books :thud: Enjoy!

I've read a couple Chevaliers and enjoyed them, though I have to admit they didn't stick with me. Might go back and read one or two, coz it's been a few years.

This one doesn't get amazing reviews so maybe not the best one to choose, but it was cheap! :D

Completed a reread of Mrs Dalloway last night as my alternative London choice for the English Counties Challenge - continues to be a major favourite.  Moved straight on to A Man Called Ove.  About 50 pages in according to my Kindle, so will reserve judgement.

Just finished The Little Shop of Happy Ever After by Jenny Colgan, a nice easy (and predictable!) read, now starting The Girl in the Blue Coat by Monica Hesse, set in Amsterdam during WWII.

I'm not too much into WWII fiction, but I must thank you for The Girl in the Blue Coat! I picked it up and am really liking it so far. I have a special place in my heart for Amsterdam.

Have you read The Girl From Krakow? One of my favorites of the year!

Edit: I hope you enjoyed your shopping spree :)

Edited by Anna Begins