RIP - David Bowie

Janet

No, not keeping count. Just seriously gutted that someone so influential has died. I loved his music :(

Edit:  I didn't realise the title said #4.  That's because another large forum I admin closes threads when they reach 50 pages and that's the fourth thread of celebrity deaths since the forum started.  My phone obviously remembered it from that forum because it autofilled when I started this topic and I was making my lunch before leaving for work so I didn't notice.

Edited by Janet

No, not keeping count. Just seriously gutted that someone so influential has died. I loved his music :(

Edit:  I didn't realise the title said #4.  That's because another large forum I admin closes threads when they reach 50 pages and that's the fourth thread of celebrity deaths since the forum started.  My phone obviously remembered it from that forum because it autofilled when I started this topic and I was making my lunch before leaving for work so I didn't notice.

Ahhhh okay! :D

It's so easy to see on twitter that he's someone who has had a huge influence on people in different ways. For me, as much as I liked his music, he will always be the Goblin King, as Labyrinth is truly a cult film for me. I also think there's such a shock element, because no one knew he was ill. A sad day.

I literally only said to a friend of mine a few weeks ago, 'is he still making music? Never hear anything from him anymore'. They thought he was. 69 isn't really old at all anymore, a lot of people would get another 15-20 years. Only just 69, too. Did nobody at all know he was ill, or were a bunch of us just unaware?

That was what my friend said, he thought Bowie had released an album. That is a shock. Got Starman stuck in my head now. Love that, and Space Oddity.

Going to see Chris Hadfield in a couple of weeks, and I believe a part of the evening includes him performing Space Oddity. Will be a somewhat more sombre experience now I suspect.

Just days after his 69th birthday and the release of his latest album, the world is a little less shiny and melodic today.

Xander is as big a fan of Bowie as I am, and I knew he would be as saddened by the news as I am. I told him shortly after he got up this morning, and this was our conversation:

Me: Darling, I’ve heard some sad news this morning. David Bowie has died.
Xander: Oh no! That’s so sad! Was it cancer?
Me: Yes, sweetie. He’d been ill for quite a while.
Xander: It’s always cancer. I hate it! I just wish cancer wasn’t real!
Me: Yes, so do I, darling.
Xander: We’re running out of singers. There’ll be no good music left at this rate!

Bearing in mind that Xander is only seven years old, I thought he showed a startling grasp of the tragedy of Bowie’s death, his illness, and also his loss to the music world, all in one fell swoop.

Farewell, Major Tom, Ziggy Star Dust, and my favourite, The Goblin King. You will be sorely missed, but your legacy will continue to delight generations of music lovers forever.

Such an icon who has left us.  I have been singing ground control to major tom now for weeks since one of our astronauts went into space.  Does anyone else remember that he narrated at the beginning of The Snowman I so enjoyed that bit and was very impressed that he did it.

'Oh no! Don't say it's true!'  :cry2: I'm heartbroken .. he's a hero. My iPod features him heavily as most of the songs are from the 70's and David's songs are just genius. Alan and I were only singing along to 'Starman' in the car a couple of days ago and talking about his new album. Listened to some of it on YouTube as it was getting such rave reviews. Now I understand that it was all as he planned .. to go out with a bang!! I'm so glad the reviews were great .. he probably would have known that.

Thank God for the music .. hope the world rings out with the sound of Bowie today!

Yes .. his intro to The Snowman is my favourite .. if I see anyone else I'm annoyed :D 

I didn't know he did an intro to The Snowman until Alan told me when we met you guys just before Christmas. I said I was going to buy the film and he said I must be sure to buy the one featuring Bowie... which I did - only there was no introduction on the DVD - I think it might be one of the extras?

The word legend is used far too often these days - but I think Bowie definitely falls into that category.  People from 7 to 77 (and other ages too) knew and loved him.  When they played Space Oddity on the radio this morning just after I heard the news it made me cry.  I'm gutted.  :(

With the exception of all the fuss about Life on Mars a few years back, Bowie seems to have completely passed me by. 

I don't own any of his albums, I've never seen Labyrinth, so the extent of the collective outpouring of grief on Twitter this morning was a bit of a surprise.

69 is far too early to go though.

*ETA added "by"!

Edited by Raven