Top 5 (or 10) Wednesday

Athena

I hope you don't mind my curiosity, willoyd, but why did you dislike this particular novel? I personally really liked it and it's a rather popular novel, so I'm really curious about what you have to say about the novel :)

Of course I don't mind - that's what the forum is about!  I think the simplest way to explain is to quote you my summary in my book log at the time:

I did try to read, in between times [i was reading David Copperfield], The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas for a book group, but failed to get anything out of it, and packed in early. Maybe the contrast was too much, but the language was simple and bland, the writing clunky, and the main protagonist totally without credibility (the nine year old son of a major Nazi player who apparently doesn't know the word Fuehrer, and doesn't seem to know much else, including the fact that he's missing from the Hitler Youth.  Not like any 9-year old I've ever taught)  I can't understand its popularity, at least amongst adults.

Aside from the writing, my recollection is dominated by the fact that it just didn't work for me on an historical accuracy front - too much jarred.  It felt grossly under-researched.  The stupid thing that really niggled me is that there is no way a German child would have substituted English words like 'Fury' for Fuehrer or 'Out-With' for Auschwitz. 

Edited by willoyd

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course I don't mind - that's what the forum is about!  I think the simplest way to explain is to quote you my summary in my book log at the time:

I did try to read, in between times [i was reading David Copperfield], The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas for a book group, but failed to get anything out of it, and packed in early. Maybe the contrast was too much, but the language was simple and bland, the writing clunky, and the main protagonist totally without credibility (the nine year old son of a major Nazi player who apparently doesn't know the word Fuehrer, and doesn't seem to know much else, including the fact that he's missing from the Hitler Youth.  Not like any 9-year old I've ever taught)  I can't understand its popularity, at least amongst adults.

Aside from the writing, my recollection is dominated by the fact that it just didn't work for me on an historical accuracy front - too much jarred.  It felt grossly under-researched.  The stupid thing that really niggled me is that there is no way a German child would have substituted English words like 'Fury' for Fuehrer or 'Out-With' for Auschwitz. 

Thanks for going through the trouble of going back to find your review for me and explaining your reasons for me! Having read the above ^ I now recall the thing about 'Fury' and 'Out-With'  (Edit: that is, I remember reading your comment about it earlier on here). My problem is that I read the book in Finnish and so I didn't have to deal with those two word 'plays', and the other problem is that I read the book so many moons ago that I can't remember if there were any substitute word plays the Finnish translator came up with. Hmph!  So I can't really say how I would've reacted to the same thing had I originally read the book in English. 

Yes, even without ever having read DC I'm pretty sure that the writing of the two novels differed a great deal :D I liked the simplicity of TBitSP, personally. As for the 9 year old being so clueless... I get your point. I don't think I noticed it myself, or even if I did, I wasn't bothered by it. Maybe the kid was just not interested in the business of the adults, maybe the adults were always shooing him off and trying to stop him from asking any questions. They were busy being Nazis! I don't know... 

I'm tempted to re-read the novel (I have an English copy so that will work in my favor on a second reading :) ). You've made some interesting points :)

Edited by frankie

Ooh, I'd go for something by Agatha Christie, Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier or anything by the Bronte sisters. Anything with a bit of mystery and atmosphere (I guess I'm thinking of a cold and rainy day). :)

As for the 9 year old being so clueless... I get your point. I don't think I noticed it myself, or even if I did, I wasn't bothered by it. Maybe the kid was just not interested in the business of the adults, maybe the adults were always shooing him off and trying to stop him from asking any questions. They were busy being Nazis! I don't know...

I suspect it's because I work with 9-year olds every day of my working life, so I'm probably more likely to notice!

The topic for this week is: Rainy Day Reads. I'm not quite sure what I'm going to answer for this one, but it's not Wednesday yet, so :P.

Something meaty to get one's teeth into. I'd agree with Kylie (and Madeleine and woolf woolf) on the Brontes, or du Maurier, as being good choices (after my recent reading of Jamaica Inn). But my own choice would probably be Dickens - Old Curiosity Shop is my next one - or my ultimate comfort read, Jane Austen. Alternatives would include Anthony Trollope, George Eliot. Or, as a complete contrast, Georgette Heyer!!

Hi Willoyd, you didn't like The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, can I ask if you have ready any books on the holocaust you would recommend? I can highly recommend The Blue Door by Lise Kristensen and Night by Elie Wiesel (I am yet to buy and read his other two books).

I suppose if I felt like I wanted to be taken away from the rain, then I would pick something fantastic and/or adventurous. So maybe some Tolkien or Treasure Island maybe. Something a bit "boy's own".

But if I felt a bit melancholy and wanted to indulge myself, then definitely something gothic - Bronte sisters or Wilkie Collins.

Actually, it would just be nice to say " Oh look, it's raining! The day's cancelled. Just stop in and read!" 

Hi Willoyd, you didn't like The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, can I ask if you have ready any books on the holocaust you would recommend? I can highly recommend The Blue Door by Lise Kristensen and Night by Elie Wiesel (I am yet to buy and read his other two books).

No I can't, simply because it's not a subject I tend to read about much, if at all, at least in fiction.

This week's topic is: Books with "Hard" Topics (ie. mental health, sexual assault, illness, etc.)

I wasn't sure if fictional or nonfictional reads were meant, so I listen some for both.

Fiction reads:

Catherine Ryan Hyde - Where We Belong (autism)

Elizabeth Moon - Speed of Dark (autism)

Jodi Picoult - House Rules (autism)

Esther Verhoef - Tegenlicht (mental illness)

Nathan Filer - The Shock of the Fall (mental illness)

Biographies:

Gunilla Gerland - Een Echt Mens (autism)

Liam Creed - Puppy's Hebben Ook ADHD (A Puppy Called Aero) (ADHD)

Arthur Fleischmann and Carly Fleischmann - Haar Stille Stem (Carly's Voice) (autism)

Anya Peters - Abandoned (child abuse)

Robin Corbee - Het Leven Is Fanspastisch (disability / illness)

All of mine are autobiographical:

Night by Elie Wiesel (holocaust)

More Now Again by Elisabeth Wurtzel (Addiction/ mental illness)

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath (mental illness)

Man's Search for Meaning by Victor E Frankl (holocaust)

Drinking: A Love Story by Caroline Knapp (Addiction)

Shoot- I need 6. I forgot Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand (WWII POW)

Edited by Anna Begins

The book with a "hard" topic I remember reading is If This Is a Man, a memoir by Primo Levi about his imprisonment in Auschwitz.

Primo Levi's book was amazing too. Elie Wiesel quotes Levi in his memoirs, All River Run to the Sea, "There is Auschwitz, so there cannot be God."

I didn't think about the Holocaust, in that case I might want to replace one of the biographies I picked, with Anne Frank - Het Achterhuis: Dagboekbrieven 12 juni 1942 - 1 augustus 1944.

Good suggestions from both of you :).

My contribution, in my opinion, all 5* reads..

Only Ever Yours - Louise O'Neill (disturbing!)

Tell The Wolves I'm Home - Carol Rifka Brunt (illness)

Johnny Got His Gun - Dalton Trumbo (war)

Night - Elie Weisel (holocaust)

The Blue Door - Lise Christensen (holocaust)

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak (war)

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - John Boyne (holocaust)

Her Fearful Symmetry - Audrey Niffenegger (disturbing)

I can only think of three at the moment;

Room by Emma Donoghue (sexual abduction)

and The Kite Runner  / A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khalid Hoseinni (sexual violence / abuse)

This week's topic is: Books You're Intimidated By.

I know this topic has been mentioned in other threads. Personally there are quite a few books I'm intimidated by, but to pick 5.. I'll have to think about it. The number 1 that comes to mind is War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy. I don't know if I'll ever read it to be honest, I am not so brave.

I'm not sure I could narrow that down - the other topics are necessarily books you have read or at least attempted, but this one could be every book I've ever heard of :lol:

War and Peace definitely, but more immediately because they are on the English Counties list I'm a little intimidated by The Mill on The Floss and Mrs Dalloway.

Oh - and 1Q84 is on my TBR and has been for years. Plus 2666 by Roberto Bolano looks horrendous :lol:

Hmm, maybe we can narrow it down to, books you're intimidated by that you do want to read some time? Or is that still too broad? That is true :P.

Nice choices :). For me, books I'm intimidated by are generally long books (ie. more than 600 pages) or books that contain a lot of old language or are complicated in some other way (in the case of War and Peace it's all three of these things), or it could even be a long series of books.

For example, I'm intimidated by Malazan: Empire of the Fallen by Steven Erikson, which is a long series of books that are all long books, and it's complicated.

I'm also intimidated by the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, because they're long books and it's a long series (that isn't finished yet).

I'm also intimidated by 1Q84. I have an omnibus edition.

I'm also reluctant to start the books by Terry Brooks, by Robin Hobb, by Raymond E. Feist and by David & Leigh Eddings, mainly because there are a lot of them.

Likewise I quite want to read the second half of the Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons, which I have in the Endymion Omnibus, but first I want to re-read my Hyperion Omnibus or I'll be totally confused. So that's two big omnibusses, that are both long, they intimidate me (though I did love the Hyperion Omnibus so it's got that going for it).

A lot of classics in English intimidate me, particularly if they're written before the 1900s or if they contain a lot of slang. I'm less intimidated by my Dutch literary works (those I own are I think all published after the 1900s). But I haven't felt like reading many classics the past while, anyway.

I guess you could say in general, it's usually long complicated books I'm intimidated by.

I was intimidated by The Stand by Stephen King, but I read it two months ago and I loved it. So sometimes it's not necessary to be intimidated, yet I continue to be intimidated by those I've not read yet.