Top 5 (or 10) Wednesday

Athena

What readily comes to mind is Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (who I like a lot btw), it took me, I think, 23 days. Which is a long time for me. I know it took me ages to read Clive Barker's The Great and Secret Show too, but that was about 18 years ago and I was hit by a car :D. (I was on foot!) It was good though and I enjoyed it. Even The Stand didn't take me longer than 10 days.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What readily comes to mind is Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (who I like a lot btw), it took me, I think, 23 days. Which is a long time for me. I know it took me ages to read Clive Barker's The Great and Secret Show too, but that was about 18 years ago and I was hit by a car :D. (I was on foot!) It was good though and I enjoyed it. Even The Stand didn't take me longer than 10 days.

Yikes !! Poor Anna.:(

It took me ages to finish Ken Folletts Pillars of the Earth, cos I cared so much for the characters. I couldn't bear putting the book down if someone was in the midst of some awful experience, so I'd read until all was fine, then put the book down until I felt up to tackling it again... and since the characters had a real roller coaster time of it, there w s a lot of putting the book down.:)

Nice answers so far :)!

It took me ages to finish Ken Folletts Pillars of the Earth, cos I cared so much for the characters. I couldn't bear putting the book down if someone was in the midst of some awful experience, so I'd read until all was fine, then put the book down until I felt up to tackling it again... and since the characters had a real roller coaster time of it, there w s a lot of putting the book down. :)

That's an interesting way of reading :).

• 2 weeks later...

This week's topic is: Inaccurate Book Covers

Author's Note:

--Those books that have nothing to do with the story, or the cover model doesn't look anything like the actual main character, or it's a really cheesy cover for a great read!

I know I've had books with inaccurate book covers, but I'm going to have to think hard which ones they were!

None of those covers of Poppy and Pixie match their stories! Good finds :).

My copy of To Kill a Mockingbird has a sort of painting of a court room filled with people on it.

My copy of The Book Thief has a picture of Death on it.

I posted this on my Facebook last week, but I have recently read The Warden by Anthony Trollope, and whilst searching for the cover for my book blog I came across this raunchy version of this Victorian classic.  Trollope must be spinning in his grave!  :giggle2:

the%20warden_zpsyzromdoy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This week's topic is: Spooky Settings

Author's Note:

--These can be settings that exist in books or ones you'd like to see in books. Also, if you are like me, you don't really have to make this about horror or scary settings. You can also use eerie, atmospheric settings. Macabre settings. Eclectic settings. I'm not a scary horror person either, but I do enjoy the latter.

The spookiest book by far that I have read is a fantastic Icelandic (where else) ghost story I Remember You by Yrsa Sigurdadottir. I love all her books, but this is by far the best. I have read a lot of Icelandic books, but never read anything quite like this one. I actually went to the deserted village where it is set a few summers ago, and I can imagine that to be alone is such an isolated place really would be creepy.  

This is easy! Just sort of... disturbing or dark books? Here are mostly horror books. Actually, I guess they all are!

Yesterday's Gone by Sean Platt and David Wright

Horns by Joe Hill

World War Z by Max Brooks

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame- Smith

Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin

Psycho Robert Bloch

I, Zombie by Hugh Howey

Mister B. Gone by Clive Barker

Coldheart Canyon by Clive Barker

Damned by Chuck Palahniuk

Not a horror fan at all but really enjoy atmospheric books like ...

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

The Greatcoat by Helen Dunmore

Mr Pip by Lloyd Jones 

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

Mr Chartwell by Rebecca Hunt
and all Neil Gaiman's books.

The most macabre and disturbing book I've read is William Golding's Lord of the Flies. I hated it.

This week's topic is: Most Misleading Synopses.

Author's Note:

-- Ever read a synopsis and think it sounds dumb, but then you read the book years later and it's actually amazing? Ever read a synopsis and think it sounds amazing, but it actually turns out to be nothing like the synopsis? Ever have a synopsis spoil something that happens 75% of the way into the book so you just spend most of your time waiting for that one element you already know? This is the topic for you.

I know I've read a bunch of these, ie. where they talk about something that happens 67% into the book, but at the moment I can't remember which book it was. I do know that often children's books give away a little more than I'd like, but the book I'm thinking of was a book for adults and I was waiting the whole book for the thing to happen that was mentioned in the synopsis on the back. I can't remember which book it was though..

Btw, please, no spoilers! If a synopsis spoils something that happens late in the book (something Amazon for example seems to do sometimes), please post it has a spoiler, rather than quoting the synopsis so more people get spoiled.

The Radleys by Matt Haig.   The blurb was very vague - and I'm so pleased!  If it had said more about the subject matter (I shan't say what it is) then I would never have picked it up, and I loved it! 

Conversely, the blurb for Another World by Pat Barker hinted at something that didn't really take off and left me feeling dissatisfied with the book.

Is a synopsis and a blurb not the same thing?

I always thought they were the same but it appears officially there are different definitions: link and link. By the Author's Note though it seems that she meant the blurb, which I've personally been calling synopsis, so maybe the two have become a bit intertwined in internetland. I took what Samantha (the author) said as to mean 'the text on the back of the book or on the inside of the flap, or the description on Amazon or wherever you buy your e-books'. That's what I thought she meant (my words).

Janet, those are two interesting examples. Sometimes a vague blurb can actually be helpful. Shame about the blurb for Another World though, I can imagine that wasn't very satisfying.