Top 5 (or 10) Wednesday

Athena

This week's topic is: Most Unlikable Characters

Author's Note:

-- NOT VILLAINS! These are protagonists or side characters that are unlikable! (These should lean more towards characters who aren't intentionally unlikeable. Not villains, or mean girl/guys, etc.)

I would have to think about this, because villains are the first ones that come to my mind.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can think of four from recent reads.

1. The main character in Sister by Rosamund Lupton. Just didn't care about her at all.

2. Dally in The Damage Done by Linda Newbery. A semi-romantic source of fascination for the main character, to me he was dull and selfish.

3. Bunny Munro in The Death of Bunny Munro by Nick Cave. Bizzare and unrelatable character.

4. Literally everybody in The Ice Twins by S. K. Treymane.

This week's topic is: Books You Feel Differently About

Author's note:

-- Talk about the books that you feel differently about after you've had time to think about them or re-read them. These are books that you gave a low rating, and then thought about it or re-read it and ended up loving. Or a book that you loved when you first read it, but after you've thought about it or you've gotten older, you see how many problems it had.

Crocodile on the Sandbank - Elizabeth Peters

I disliked the ending so much when I first read it, that I didn't want to try the next in the series. Years later, after reading another book set in Egypt which I loved ( by Barbara erskine ), I dug out the Elizabeth peters book again, and realised how brilliant it was. I still didn't like the ending, but tried the second in the series and then realised why the author had had to give that particular ending. I know it's all a bit cryptic, but saying what the problem was, would spoil the book for others. ;)

I'm so glad you enjoyed the book more upon a second re-read :).

One that comes to mind for me:

Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time 1: The Eye of the World

When I first read this, I was a young teenager. I read the Dutch translation from the library and I think I was too young to really get into it. I LOVED the book when I read the English version a few years ago though, and this series became one of my favourite epic fantasy series.

I'm sure I have more books like that, stuff I wasn't really old enough for but that I enjoyed later on. My mind's blanking atm though..

For me this would have to be The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Attwood. Originally, I didn't like the book at all, but after reading The Heart Goes Last, I decided to 're- read THT and really, really liked it! I've also developed an appreciation for the MaddAddam books, which I struggled with last year and wish I had finished the trilogy now.

Twilight hahaha. I loved those books so much when I was like 20 and now I'm like 'what was wrong with me?'

I liked them too when I read them when I was younger. I haven't re-read them (yet), because I'm afraid I'll like them less the second time around, now that I'm older.

For me this would have to be The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Attwood. Originally, I didn't like the book at all, but after reading The Heart Goes Last, I decided to 're- read THT and really, really liked it! I've also developed an appreciation for the MaddAddam books, which I struggled with last year and wish I had finished the trilogy now.

It's so nice you liked THT better upon re-reading it :).

This week's topic is: Authors You Are Waiting on Another Book From

Author's Note:

-- These are your favorite authors who you want to write another book but haven't yet. Or they are writing something, but no title or synopsis has been released and it isn't coming out until 2018. Try to keep this to authors who haven't announced anything concrete about a new book, not authors that have a highly anticipated release coming out before the end of 2016.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice choices :). I have yet to read a Dan Brown book, but I do own a few.

This week's topic is: Favorite First Sentences

Author's Note:

-- Pretty self-explanatory. Favorite first sentences of a book.

I don't keep a list of these, but I always love the first paragraph of all of the The Wheel of Time books by Robert Jordan (in the prologue). That's the one that comes to mind right now. I'm sure there are others though.

Ooh, good one. :D

I`ve picked The Big Sleep - Raymond Chandler. Whenever I`m feeling a bit low, I pick the book up and read the first couple of paragraphs, and it cheers me up a bit.  :blush2:

" It was about eleven o`clock in the morning, mid October, with the sun not shining and a lot of hard wet rain in the clearness of the foothills." :)

1) Finders Keepers by Stephen King

2) Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver

3) Night School (Jack Reacher #21) by Lee Child (out in November)

4) American Heiress: The Wild Saga of the Kidnapping, Crimes and Trial of Patty Hearst by Jeffery Toobin

5) Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

I'm going to name 5 non-fiction books:

Old Glory by Jonathan Raban

The Outrun by Amy Liptrot

The Fishing Fleet by Anne de Courcy

Along the Wall and Watchtowers by Oliver August

Seven Brief Lessons in Physics by Carlo Rovelli

I've done quite well so far this year with tackling a number of books from my TBR pile that had been sitting untouched on my shelf for years.  Admittedly, they've only been so-so-meh reads for the most part, but no matter!  I'm going to persevere, and do my best to tackle these next five soon:

Middlesex, by Jeffrey Eugenides

Catch-22, by Joseph Heller

The Marx Brothers, by Kyle Crichton

Me Talk Pretty One Day, by David Sedaris

The Confessions of Nat Turner, by William Styron

I wonder if I'll keep to my word!   :P

Edited by Onion Budgie

The Woman in Blue by Elly Griffiths

The Last Confession of Thomas Hawkins by Antonia Hodgson

Moving by Jenny Éclair

The Magician's Assistant by Ann Patchett

Persuasion by Jane Austen

Edited by Madeleine

Some nice picks :).

This week's topic is: Books You Will Never Read

Author's Note

--Whether it's from a series that you have outgrown or don't wish to continue, or they are popular books that just don't interest you, let us know what you don't plan on reading.

I'm not sure where to start with this one to be honest. There are definitely books I don't want to read, but how do I make a top 5 of them :P.

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James

The Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer

Any Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

Game of Thrones series by George R.R. Martin

I cheated by throwing a few series in there, but I can't isolate a specific one as I haven't read any, so... ;)

The Harry Potter series is legendary, I know, but I wasn't a kid when they were first published, and the age I'm at now (46), they appeal to me even less.  The media throws Harry Potter in one's face so unrelentingly that I'm thoroughly sick of the little twit without ever having read a word of him.

I've nothing against Game of Thrones, except for the fact that the books are so humongous each one would take me six months to read, and no doubt give me a couple of sprained wrists in the process.