Your Book Activity - July 2015

Kylie

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not reading but I have had the go ahead for a new bookcase! Am waiting for my Mum to order it as she gets a discount so please everyone keep fingers crossed that they have it in stock when she goes in store on Wednesday.. Is it crazy to be excited about a bookcase?! :D

Finished Tim Lebbon's The Silence during lunch. Very good horror/thriller.

Glad you enjoyed it. :boogie:

Started The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society but I don't think it's hit the spot with me yet. I've also postponed my exams by a couple of months because I can't cope with the stress ( :drama: ), so at least I can take it a bit easy instead of trying to do it all at once. Maybe I'll enjoy the book a bit more without worrying about other things while I'm reading it. :drama::roll2:

Finally gave up on The Memory Keeper's Daughter. Too many distractions going on in my life right now, and it wasn't good enough for me to focus on it and get through to the end.

I'm starting on The Black Swan by Mercedes Lackey. I have never read any of her works before. I hope I enjoy it. I do love a re-telling of a fairy tale if it's done well.

Edited by alicedrinkwater

Not reading but I have had the go ahead for a new bookcase! Am waiting for my Mum to order it as she gets a discount so please everyone keep fingers crossed that they have it in stock when she goes in store on Wednesday.. Is it crazy to be excited about a bookcase?! :D

This is very exciting! I always love getting a new book case. I hope you can get it soon :).

I've also postponed my exams by a couple of months because I can't cope with the stress ( :drama: ), so at least I can take it a bit easy instead of trying to do it all at once. Maybe I'll enjoy the book a bit more without worrying about other things while I'm reading it. :drama::roll2:

I hope you feel better soon :(:empathy:!

I'm starting on The Black Swan by Mercedes Lackey. I have never read any of her works before. I hope I enjoy it. I do love a re-telling of a fairy tale if it's done well.

I've got a few books by this author on my TBR, I hope you enjoy it!

So far Walter Moers - Zamonië 4: De Stad van de Dromende Boeken (Zamonien 4: Die Stadt der Träumenden Bücher) is a bit different than the previous book I read by the author. I was expecting them to be more similar. But I'm enjoying the story so far, I look forward to see where it goes from here. I'm just over 20% into it at the moment (page 116 out of 504).

Thanks for your thoughts, Frankie.  I would definitely lean towards this interpretation.  I rented the film from iTunes over the weekend, and I think that supports the theory.

I agree, the film supports that theory :yes: 

Fingers crossed over here, and keeping my thumbs up, too, as that's what we do! :D It's crazy if you don't  get excited about a new bookcase!!! :D 

Started The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society but I don't think it's hit the spot with me yet. I've also postponed my exams by a couple of months because I can't cope with the stress ( :drama: ), so at least I can take it a bit easy instead of trying to do it all at once. Maybe I'll enjoy the book a bit more without worrying about other things while I'm reading it. :drama::roll2:

I'm sorry to hear you're stressing  :empathy:   I hope you can relax a bit and recharge your batteries, and enjoy recreational reading at the same time. Perhaps it's best to put TGLaPPPS aside if it's not grabbing you and find something else that does. 

I have 106 pages left of The Girl on the Train. This week's going to be a bit mad so I hope I get to finish the novel soon! 

Finished Desolation Island, fifth book in the Aubrey-Maturin series. Another superb read. The consistency of O'Brian's writing and story telling is amazing!

Not sure what I'm reading next - quite a lot to choose from!

Finally gave up on The Memory Keeper's Daughter. Too many distractions going on in my life right now, and it wasn't good enough for me to focus on it and get through to the end.

Hope your next read is better. :smile:

I hope you feel better soon :(:empathy:!

Thanks! :friends3:

I'm sorry to hear you're stressing  :empathy:   I hope you can relax a bit and recharge your batteries, and enjoy recreational reading at the same time. Perhaps it's best to put TGLaPPPS aside if it's not grabbing you and find something else that does.

It's picked up a bit since last night....I was struggling to keep up with who was who, with all the letters going back and forth. And it also threw me a bit that (so far) it has just been letters between the characters, rather than a 'normal' story.

I have 106 pages left of The Girl on the Train. This week's going to be a bit mad so I hope I get to finish the novel soon!

Oooh, enjoying it so far?

I also gave up on this recently. I just found I couldn't be bothered to read it at all.

And I've read the first couple of chapters of Go Set a Watchman. :)

I know this might sound silly, but having read some of the reviews, I've decided not to read it.  It's too easy to see it as a sequel, with all the character changes that are implied, rather than what it really was, an early version of the same book (even if the story itself has been changed so dramatically that it reads like a follow-on).  Too many reviewers have said that it changes one's views on Atticus, and frankly I feel no need to have them changed!

As I said, I know that probably sounds silly.

I know this might sound silly, but having read some of the reviews, I've decided not to read it.  It's too easy to see it as a sequel, with all the character changes that are implied, rather than what it really was, an early version of the same book (even if the story itself has been changed so dramatically that it reads like a follow-on).  Too many reviewers have said that it changes one's views on Atticus, and frankly I feel no need to have them changed!

Nope, I have precisely the same reasons for not reading it :)

I've read a few more chapters of The Winter Queen. Nearing the end now.

Very exciting!!! :exc: Pyrvu!! :D 

It's picked up a bit since last night....I was struggling to keep up with who was who, with all the letters going back and forth. And it also threw me a bit that (so far) it has just been letters between the characters, rather than a 'normal' story.

Ah yes, I know it can be somewhat difficult at first, remembering who's who and how they are all connected. I hope it's all making sense now and that you'll like it very much! :smile2: 

I've got a few books by this author on my TBR, I hope you enjoy it!

I am, actually! :D

Hope your next read is better. :smile:

Thank you, it is! :D

Really enjoying The Black Swan by Mercedes Lackey. It's light reading, but it keeps my interest and I am a sucker for a good fairy tale. :grinhat:

I am, actually! :D

Thank you, it is! :D

Really enjoying The Black Swan by Mercedes Lackey. It's light reading, but it keeps my interest and I am a sucker for a good fairy tale. :grinhat:

I'm glad to hear it :)!

I've started to read Peter F. Hamilton - The Void Trilogy 3: The Evolutionary Void. I read the first book of this trilogy in April and the second one last month. It took me a little bit of time to remember what had happened in the previous books. So far this third book is good, there was a twist pretty early on that I wasn't expecting.

Picked up Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami and Funny Girl by Nick Hornby for £7 in Tesco last night. 

Part of me feels dirty for buying books in Tesco, and not supporting Waterstone's or another dedicated book shop, but another part of me is going "Yay! Cheap books!!"

I'm glad to hear it :)!

I've started to read Peter F. Hamilton - The Void Trilogy 3: The Evolutionary Void. I read the first book of this trilogy in April and the second one last month. It took me a little bit of time to remember what had happened in the previous books. So far this third book is good, there was a twist pretty early on that I wasn't expecting.

I'm glad you are liking it!

I finished The Girl on the Train last night, very good :smile2: Then I started reading Never Look Away by Linwood Barclay. 

Woohoo!  More praise.  I must read this soon, I even own it!

I'm have about 125 pages left in Take Me With You by Catherine Ryan Hyde, hope to finish today as a treat for a big test this afternoon, or finish tomorrow, on a rest day.

Glad you enjoyed it. :boogie:

:D  Not to put you off the book.........heh.......but I really loved Guernsey. :)

It doesn't sound silly at all.  For one thing we as readers have to go with our gut feelings, there are far too many good books, good as in 'to our own taste' to bother with something just because it comes out with many flourishes and horns blowing away to announce it's coming.  While publicity is a necessary thing, it doesn't make a book "our taste".

Lots of times I'll read a review of a book, an uncomplimentary one at that, one that goes on about how "slow" and "complicated" a book is (as though that's a bad thing  /giggle/).  Then I'll know it's more than likely up my alley. :)

And, I agree, if a book is seems as though it's only an earlier version of a previous book, what's the use?   It's like alternate endings to films.  Anti-climatic.  Only my opinion. :)

If that's not your cuppa, that's the end of it. 

I finished The Girl on the Train last night, very good :smile2: Then I started reading Never Look Away by Linwood Barclay. 

So glad you enjoyed it! :)

Picked up Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami and Funny Girl by Nick Hornby for £7 in Tesco last night. 

Part of me feels dirty for buying books in Tesco, and not supporting Waterstone's or another dedicated book shop, but another part of me is going "Yay! Cheap books!!"

I'd go with the "Yay! Cheap Books!"..  grocery stores have to survive too! :D

The money is better in my pocket than any store.  Most of our books are second hand. . And really, that supports a whole cottage industry of Marketplace sellers.....who are by definition small booksellers.  Plus Library Sales, supporting libraries, and a plethora of 'little people' selling books on their own.

Edited by pontalba

I wish my Tesco sold cheap books, they all cost €10-€15 each! Might as well be buying them in Waterstones! :roll:

I'm re-reading Paper Towns by John Green, in honor of the upcoming film. It's such a quoteable book. Here's one of my (spoilerless!) favourites:

"Getting you to prom is so hard that the hypothetical idea itself is used to cut diamonds."

There isn't a teenager (and few adults!) on the planet as insightful and witty as any of John Green's characters, but I love to read them all the same.

I'm simultaneously reading The Rest Of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness, despite seeing lukewarm reviews on Goodreads. It's not really doing much for me, and I think it may soon be time to concede that I don't actually like Patrick Ness at all, I just happen to like A Monster Calls.

Finished Sheer Folly, the eighteenth(!) book in Daisy Dalrymple series, today.  It was a good 'un too. :smile2:

:cry: Did you stop reading Jasper Fforde. The Kazam series is pretty good, especially the 3rd book.

Ah, the library just emailed me that Nightingale is ready for me to download. Timing is good as I am just finishing book 5 of the Alan Bradley Flavia series.

Edited by muggle not