Your Book Activity - June 2015

Kylie

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decided to start The Bride That Time Forgot by Paul Magrs this morning.  It's the fifth in the Brenda & Effie series, and I'm already about a third of the way through.  I love it, I love the characters, and this time around, one of them has gotten themselves into some serious trouble!!! :lol:

I haven't heard of that series, but I have two other books by the author on my TBR so I'm glad to hear you love it so far :D.

A bookie friend handed me a book over today... 'Secrets of the Lighthouse' by Santa Montefiore. Have there been any of you read this one....sure I mentioned it might be a good read, but can't remember where I saw it.

I haven't read this, but I believe my parents have, and they liked it. I hope you enjoy it :)!

I'm reading John Flanagan - Ranger's Apprentice 5: The Sorcerer in the North, which I hope to finish later today.

I'm still reading A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson, and today I bought The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, because it was only £0.99 on Kindle. I know nothing about it but the title is familiar.

Now I'm not sure what to read next...... something as light reading, again.  :blush2:

Made the decision now – There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom [Kindle Edition] by Louis Sachar

Oooooh! :exc: I hope you shall like it :smile2:  :readingtwo:

I'm still reading A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson, and today I bought The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, because it was only £0.99 on Kindle. I know nothing about it but the title is familiar.

I loved The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society :wub: A real bargain! I think the book's a bit of a favorite on here :) 

I'm on page 144 of the third Sebastian Bergman novel. 

I bought The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, because it was only £0.99 on Kindle. I know nothing about it but the title is familiar.

I loved The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society :wub: A real bargain! I think the book's a bit of a favorite on here :)

I bought it for the same reason, know nothing about it but I remember seeing a lot of discussion about it. :)

Oooooh! :exc: I hope you shall like it :smile2:  :readingtwo:

I did try to get this book through the library, but they were four requests for one copy! That's a good sign though, as it is in much demand.

So I bought the Kindle edition, as it only cost me £2 something.

I only just started the first couple of chapters last night night, but as you said in your review, Bradley is not the most lovable character!!  :o  :D

Yup, I bought the Kindle edition of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society too, for the same reasons!  :smile:

I did try to get this book through the library, but they were four requests for one copy! That's a good sign though, as it is in much demand.

So I bought the Kindle edition, as it only cost me £2 something.

I only just started the first couple of chapters last night night, but as you said in your review, Bradley is not the most lovable character!!  :o  :D

Wow, I love hearing that it's in such high demand!! :smile2: Especially as it's an older book and I would dare say kids usually go for more modern novels. And yep, Bradley is not the most lovable character at all. He's not even likable :o:D Which is strange because you usually have a protagonist you like and you want to root for. 

I just finished Introducing the Honorable Miss Phryne Fisher, which is a collection of the first 3 Miss Fisher Murder Mysteries. I loved it! I'm going to have to get the rest of the series. Until I do, though, I'll continue to plod through my giant collection of Agatha Christie's Poirot short stories, and I'm going to re-read Shirley by Charlotte Bronte.

Thoroughly enjoying The Nightingale (Kristin Hannah), halfway through now.

I've seen folk on Goodreads and Facebook have enjoyed this one Hayley.

So I said to myself only read one book at a time....lasted one day...! Have now started 'The Forgotten Garden' by Kate Morton...and it is a big read....600+ pages...(oh dear)..going to be good though.

Edited by Inver

I've seen folk on Goodreads and Facebook have enjoyed this one Hayley.

So I said to myself only read one book at a time....lasted one day...! Have now started 'The Forgotten Garden' by Kate Morton...and it is a big read....600+ pages...(oh dear)..going to be good though.

Its brilliant Diane!!

I loved The Forgotten Garden, it certainly didn't seem like 600 pages. Have you read anything else by her? I also enjoyed The House at Riverton.

I'll echo what chaliepud says - The Forgotten Garden is a great read. :yes:

Forgot to say the other day, got my latest book group book for next month, and it's The Shock of the Fall. Not sure I'm going to be able to read it.

Why don't you think you will be able to read it? Because of the subject matter, or because you don't think you will enjoy it? For what it's worth, I really enjoyed it, and found it very moving.

I'm still reading A Walk In The Woods. Once that is finished I will be moving on to The Cuckoo's Calling. And just for fun I picked out my next book from the Book Jar. Well, it certainly doesn't like to make things easy for me.....it's selected Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond. :thud: I have 4 exams in the next few months and was hoping for something to relax with in my spare time. :lol: Something tells me, I'll need to read something lighter until all my studies are out of the way.

And just for fun I picked out my next book from the Book Jar. Well, it certainly doesn't like to make things easy for me.....it's selected Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond. :thud: I have 4 exams in the next few months and was hoping for something to relax with in my spare time. :lol: Something tells me, I'll need to read something lighter until all my studies are out of the way.

:D This was the first book I picked out of my book jar this year...and I'm still only about 60 pages in! It's a good read, but I keep needing lighter books to read alongside it, and then I get absorbed in them and forget about GG&S.  :blush2:

I started reading Chris Priestley's Tales of Terror from the Black Ship last night. I've been looking forward to this for ages!

Yeah, I remember you saying that the Book Jar had picked it out for you, and was wondering how far you were through it. :D  I suspect it's going to take me a long time to read, but I don't know if I'll even start it until my exams are over.

Catherine Certitude had been on the chair next to me since I bought it, and as I finished another book yesterday afternoon, I had five minutes spare and picked it up to have a look and seem to have started reading it. :D

Why don't you think you will be able to read it? Because of the subject matter, or because you don't think you will enjoy it? For what it's worth, I really enjoyed it, and found it very moving.

When we were given the book, someone told me something in it that will hit a nerve with me and I won't be able to read it.

I'm currently reading John Flanagan - Broederband 2: De Indringers (Brotherband 2: The Invaders), I've got about a third left to read. It's good so far, though not as brilliant as the Ranger's Apprentice books. I am enjoying it though and the translation is pretty good actually.

Forgot to say the other day, got my latest book group book for next month, and it's The Shock of the Fall. Not sure I'm going to be able to read it.

When we were given the book, someone told me something in it that will hit a nerve with me and I won't be able to read it.

That's a shame, I really enjoyed it. Do you mind me asking (even for an approximation) of what it was?

I finished The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley. Resounding mehhhhh from me. Review to follow.

Not sure what's up next, but it might be a mystery/thriller type thing, as its been a while since I read one!

Finished reading the third Sebastian Bergman novel last night, and I can't wait to get my hands on the fourth novel, as the ending was so shocking! Good stuff :smile2: Haven't decided what to read next. I started reading DUFF but I have a feeling it would be a tragic waste of my precious reading time...