Your Book Activity - May 2015

frankie

I finished The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin this morning.  It was a lovely book. :)

I'm on the horns of a dilemma (I love that saying! :P  ) because on the of the Kindle Deals today is a book I read when I was 12 or 13 and I loved it... but back then I only really read romance books - a genre I haven't really read for years!  It's Hardacre by C L Skelton.  I'm wondering whether to take a punt for old times' sake. :shrug: The thing is that I'll probably find it horribly slushy now but it's only .99p so I should probably just go for it.   I'll have to tell Amazon not to use it for recommendations if I do download it!  :giggle:

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I finished The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin this morning.  It was a lovely book. :)

I'm on the horns of a dilemma (I love that saying! :P  ) because on the of the Kindle Deals today is a book I read when I was 12 or 13 and I loved it... but back then I only really read romance books - a genre I haven't really read for years!  It's Hardacre by C L Skelton.  I'm wondering whether to take a punt for old times' sake. :shrug: The thing is that I'll probably find it horribly slushy now but it's only .99p so I should probably just go for it.   I'll have to tell Amazon not to use it for recommendations if I do download it!  :giggle:

I'm happy you thought the book was lovely :smile2: One of my favorites from last year, but I've already probably said that. 

I didn't know dilemmas had horns... :o  :hide:   How many? Does it vary for each problem?

I say go ahead, it's only 99p :)

Still enjoying Kirjastonhoitaja Topi Mullo

Edited by frankie

I'm reading this at the moment.  :P I just started it though.  Already loving it as much as the first two.

I finished it this morning. It's great, isn't it? :D So glad I finally got around to finishing the trilogy.

I've now started reading Candide by Voltaire.

Yay! 'Lovely' is the perfect word for it, I think. :)

I didn't know dilemmas had horns... :o  :hide:   How many? Does it vary for each problem?

Sounds painful, doesn't it? :(

I've now started reading Candide by Voltaire.

Oooooooh! Ooooh! :D How far are you? I can't wait to hear what you think of it :D It's... interesting, to say the least :D :D

Sounds painful, doesn't it? :(

It does. I don't like the sound of horny dilemmas! :no:

Oooooooh! Ooooh! :D How far are you? I can't wait to hear what you think of it :D It's... interesting, to say the least :D :D

I've only read the first couple of (short) chapters. But I was already tired when I started reading it last night (well, this morning), so I think I'll start from the beginning again. After only a few pages it was reminding me of The Decameron (because it was a little bit naughty and there was a bit of 'ooh, did I really just read that?!'  :giggle:). 

I thought you had enjoyed reading Candide, but then when I was adding the book on Goodreads I noticed that you only gave it two stars.

I don't like the sound of horny dilemmas! :no:

Let's just leave the horny dilemmas to Janet, then. ;)  :giggle2:

I've only read the first couple of (short) chapters. But I was already tired when I started reading it last night (well, this morning), so I think I'll start from the beginning again. After only a few pages it was reminding me of The Decameron (because it was a little bit naughty and there was a bit of 'ooh, did I really just read that?!'  :giggle:). 

I thought you had enjoyed reading Candide, but then when I was adding the book on Goodreads I noticed that you only gave it two stars.

Yep, there were definitely occasions when you were like, what in the world....?? :lol: 

I guess it's one of those books that one doesn't think too highly of right after finishing it, but then when time passes and one keeps thinking of the book, one thinks it's better than one originally thought. I don't know if it was a really, really good as such, but it was memorable. :D Well I don't remember all the specifics, I just remember that there were some very weird stuff in it :D 

Let's just leave the horny dilemmas to Janet, then. ;)  :giggle2:

Yeah, let's do that :D 

Yeah, it's a mammoth! :D They're kind of like the Harry Potter books...each book is longer than the one before it.  :giggle2: It's a gripping read though, and very difficult to put down. I'm sure you could finish it in about two days. :D

Haha, thanks :)! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. 

I'm glad you enjoyed this :).

Finished Mr Mercedes by Stephen King, very enjoyable, a real page turner, especially towards the end.

I'm glad you enjoyed this book :).

I've finished reading the omnibus Do van Ranst - Dit is Dina! Omnibus 1-4 and my next read will be John Flanagan - Ranger's Apprentice 1: The Ruins of Gorlan which I borrowed from the library based on my sister's recommendation. She reads mainly fantasy books so I hope this will be a nice one, she did say she read it quite quickly, it's an easy read. She's read the first ~8 or so books in the series. I thought I'd give it a try when I saw it at the library.

I finished House-Bound today, and it had a much stronger finish than I'd been expecting.  Back to the book jar for my next read, although I do still have my book group book to read, so if I don't like the pick, I might go for that instead.

Finished Mr Mercedes by Stephen King, very enjoyable, a real page turner, especially towards the end.

I'm so glad you liked it, my dad and I read it together and liked it too.

I've finished reading the omnibus Do van Ranst - Dit is Dina! Omnibus 1-4 and my next read will be John Flanagan - Ranger's Apprentice 1: The Ruins of Gorlan which I borrowed from the library based on my sister's recommendation. She reads mainly fantasy books so I hope this will be a nice one, she did say she read it quite quickly, it's an easy read. She's read the first ~8 or so books in the series. I thought I'd give it a try when I saw it at the library.

14 days to go!  ;)

I finished House-Bound today, and it had a much stronger finish than I'd been expecting.  Back to the book jar for my next read, although I do still have my book group book to read, so if I don't like the pick, I might go for that instead.

Wow- you finished!  :P What's your group read?

I started The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt last night.  My copy of Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neill arrived on my kindle last night too, what a nice surprise!

Wow- you finished!  :P What's your group read?

The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Moshin Hamid. It's quite short, so I should be able to read it at the weekend. :)

I started The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt last night.  My copy of Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neill arrived on my kindle last night too, what a nice surprise!

Ooh, can't wait to hear your thoughts on Only Ever Yours. :D

I loved both those books, so I hope you enjoy them too. :boogie:

I'm still reading The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. I feel like I've been reading it forever, but I am savouring it. I've also been battling a cold, so I haven't had the energy to read.  :sneeze:  I was in bed by 8pm last night, and out like a light. :sleeping-smiley-009

Reading has slowed a bit .. more due to circumstances and lack of time than anything. I'm feeling a bit frustrated that I can't devote enough time to it  :( .. never mind. Finished Clothes, Music, Boys by Viv Albertine and started Almost English by Charlotte Mendelson ... have only just started it but think I'm going to like it a lot :) Need to pick from the jar next as I've been neglecting it and choosing my own books which won't get those old books read  :blush2: 

Also I'm re-listening to Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell .. excellent! :D  So excited about the adaptation ... not long to wait now!

Finished Jumpstart The World by Catherine Ryan Hyde. Excellent little book. Not flawless but very nearly. Adored a couple of the characters. Review to follow. Also it was my 50th read of the year - halfway to my goal!

Not sure what I'm going to pick up next!

Finished Birdsong, thank goodness.  It was OK, but it dragged quite a lot, and could have done with some stronger editing.  Am somewhat bemused as to why it's so higly regarded.  Have now started Anna Karenina, which is certainly a different kettle of fish!

Edited by willoyd

The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Moshin Hamid. It's quite short, so I should be able to read it at the weekend. :)

Ooh, can't wait to hear your thoughts on Only Ever Yours. :D

Question about The Reluctant Fundamentalist in your thread.

I loved both those books, so I hope you enjoy them too. :boogie:

I'm still reading The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. I feel like I've been reading it forever, but I am savouring it. I've also been battling a cold, so I haven't had the energy to read.  :sneeze:  I was in bed by 8pm last night, and out like a light. :sleeping-smiley-009

I hope you feel better :flowers2: I am really looking forward to Only Ever Yours and am really enjoying the ease of The Sisters Brothers.

Finished Jumpstart The World by Catherine Ryan Hyde. Excellent little book. Not flawless but very nearly. Adored a couple of the characters. Review to follow. Also it was my 50th read of the year - halfway to my goal!

Not sure what I'm going to pick up next!

Congratulations- that's huge!  And I am SO glad you liked Jumpstart!

I hope you feel better soon :flowers2:!

I'm so glad you liked it :). And exciting it's your 50th book of the year. You're halfway to your goal but we're not halfway in the year yet, exciting :).

I'm quite far into John Flanagan - Ranger's Apprentice 1: The Ruins of Gorlan which is quite good so far. It doesn't have the same level of detail and depth as some adult high fantasy, but it's very enjoyable and I look forward to read how it ends. And then hopefully borrow the rest of the books in the series from the library some time.

I finished reading John Flanagan - Ranger's Apprentice 1: The Ruins of Gorlan which I really enjoyed. I've now started H. G. Wells - The War of the Worlds. It's interesting so far, though the language is of course a bit 'older' than contemporary. I've seen a film based on this book, but I don't remember a whole lot from it. I liked The Time Machine so hopefully this book will be nice too, it is so far.

So you go along to the Christian Aid book sale and you have to buy books....it would be rude not to. I did have a list and managed to find 3. I suspect there may be another visit again tomorrow evening though with hubby and son.

'Life after Life ~ Kate Atkinson
'A Week in Paris' ~ Rachel Hore
'The Secret Keeper' ~ Kate Morton

I started The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt last night. 

I read this a couple of years ago, loved it. :)

Just finished two on my kindle.  The Carpetbaggers by Harold Robbins and The Quiet Earth by Craig Harrison.  Polar opposites, both great. :)

I felt a little adrift when I finished my re reading of the Harry Potter series, and flitted from book start to book start for a day or two.

I've now started A Morbid Taste For Bones book by Eliis Peters. It centres on Cadfael, a Benedictine Monk in Shrewsbury. Really enjoying it, and Cadfael himself is a great character. 

I'm on the horns of a dilemma (I love that saying! :P ) because on the of the Kindle Deals today is a book I read when I was 12 or 13 and I loved it... but back then I only really read romance books - a genre I haven't really read for years! It's Hardacre by C L Skelton. I'm wondering whether to take a punt for old times' sake. :shrug: The thing is that I'll probably find it horribly slushy now but it's only .99p so I should probably just go for it. I'll have to tell Amazon not to use it for recommendations if I do download it! :giggle:

I say go ahead, it's only 99p :)

I took a punt and have read 35%.  It's... not very well written, I guess, but I'm enjoying my trip down memory lane nonetheless!

I tried quoting the posts about the 'horns of a dilemma' but it's not working for me on my tablet - but you guys did make me chuckle with your comments!  :giggle2: