Muggle Not - Books Read - 2015

muggle not

Did the 50 fall off?   Probably the shock of it all :giggle2:

No, No - it is Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde. :readingtwo:  And so far it is a pretty darn good book and I can't wait to get further into the book as I believe it is going to be very, very good.

Edited by muggle not

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, No - it is Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde. :readingtwo:  And so far it is a pretty darn good book and I can't wait to get further into the book as I believe it is going to be very, very good.

I was teasing Muggles, I looked it up and saw there was a book by that name written by Jasper Fforde, but I wanted to see what you'd say :P  :giggle2: 

A description from Amazon of Fifty Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde:

As long as anyone can remember, society has been ruled by a Colortocracy. From the underground feedpipes that keep the municipal park green to the healing hues viewed to cure illness to a social hierarchy based upon one's limited color perception, society is dominated by color. In this world, you are what you can see.

Young Eddie Russett has no ambition to be anything other than a loyal drone of the Collective. With his better-than-average red perception, he could well marry Constance Oxblood and inherit the string works; he may even have enough red perception to make prefect.

For Eddie, life looks colorful. Life looks good.

But everything changes when he moves with his father, a respected swatchman, to East Carmine. There, he falls in love with a Grey named Jane who opens his eyes to the painful truth behind his seemingly perfect, rigidly controlled society.

Curiosity--a dangerous trait to display in a society that demands total conformity--gets the better of Eddie, who beings to wonder:
Why are there not enough spoons to go around?
Why is everything--and everyone--barcoded?
What happened to all the people who never returned from High Saffron?
And why, when you begin to question the world around you, do black-and-white certainties reduce themselves to shades of grey?

An update on books read this year.

13. Shades of Grey - Jasper Fforde - 8/10...The deeper into the book I got the more I liked it. I can't wait until the next book in this series is written.

12. Thursday Next: First Among Sequels - Jasper Fforde - 7/10.....first half of book was ok, second half was very good and I enjoyed it. I like Thursday Next. :)

11. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd - Agatha Christie - 9/10

10. The Bridge - Robert Knott (Robert B. Parker follow-up) - 7/10

9. Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut - sorry, no review / no rating....this just wasn't my type of book and it wouldn't be fair for me to rate it.

8. Murder On The Orient Express - 9/10 - Excellent & enjoyable book

7. The Universe Versus Alex Woods by Gavin Extence - 8/10 or probably 9/10 ...I really liked this book which is the first written by Gavin Extence.

6. Criminal by Karin Slaughter - 7/10

5. 1984 by George Orwell - 7/10 or maybe 8/10

4. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie 9/10

3. The Girl Who Saved The King of Sweden by Jonas Jonasson - 8/10....a delightful book and I enjoyed it tremendously. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

2. Gray Mountain by John Grisham - 8/10

1. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee - 10/10....I can't say enough about this book. Absolutely a great book. One of the best I have ever read

Tonight I will start reading "Gathering Blue" which I downloaded from the library this evening.

Chesilbeach - If you haven't read Shades of Grey I do recommend it for you.

Edited by muggle not

13. Shades of Grey - Jasper Fforde - 8/10...The deeper into the book I got the more I liked it. I can't wait until the next book in this series is written.

Could you please elaborate on this book? I'm curious about what you thought of, and I don't know it. Is it called because Jane only percepts the world in different shades of grey? Is there anyone in the book capable of seeing all the colours from the spectrum? Also, the author's name is very cool.

I have read Shades of Grey, muggle, but I've just looked up my review and it was five years ago!  :o  I was looking forward to it so much, I actually bought it on the day of publication in hardback, so it was expensive, but definitely worth it.  No sign of any further books in the series yet though :(

Could you please elaborate on this book? I'm curious about what you thought of, and I don't know it. Is it called because Jane only percepts the world in different shades of grey? Is there anyone in the book capable of seeing all the colours from the spectrum? Also, the author's name is very cool.

I really, really liked the book and rate it at least a 8/10 and even possibly a 9/10. I would rather not answer at least one of your questions in fear of giving away part of the plot, also because I am not good of writing reviews. Please, though, read Chesilbeach's "excellent" review of the book here....http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/5271-shades-of-grey-by-jasper-fforde/

I have read Shades of Grey, muggle, but I've just looked up my review and it was five years ago!  :o  I was looking forward to it so much, I actually bought it on the day of publication in hardback, so it was expensive, but definitely worth it.  No sign of any further books in the series yet though :(

At the end of the Shades of Grey book they show where there will be 2 more books in the series. I do not understand why they haven't been written as Shades of Grey was an excellent book and begs for follow-ups. I so much anticipated reading the next two in the series that after finishing the first book I immediately went to Amazon to look for the follow-ups only to find they haven't been written (or released). :readingtwo:  :cry: I became attached to Jane in the book and really look forward to finding out what direction the story goes.

I really, really liked the book and rate it at least a 8/10 and even possibly a 9/10. I would rather not answer at least one of your questions in fear of giving away part of the plot, also because I am not good of writing reviews. Please, though, read Chesilbeach's "excellent" review of the book here....http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/5271-shades-of-grey-by-jasper-fforde/

Chesilbeach wrote a good opinion of the book, but that isn't what I'm searching for. You don't tell me plot elements, but the truth is I don't intend to read the book, regardless of how good it might be. If sometime later I read it, the spoilers are something I'll have to accept; if the book is good, I'll enjoy it either way. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, by R.L. Stevenson, is an amazingly built suspenseful thriller; sadly, popular culture already spoiled me the book's climax. However, it did not take from me the pleasure of reading it. David Copperfield, idem. If this changed your mind, you can use the spoiler tag [ spoiler ] [ / spoiler ]

At the end of the Shades of Grey book they show where there will be 2 more books in the series. I do not understand why they haven't been written as Shades of Grey was an excellent book and begs for follow-ups. I so much anticipated reading the next two in the series that after finishing the first book I immediately went to Amazon to look for the follow-ups only to find they haven't been written (or released). :readingtwo:  :cry: I became attached to Jane in the book and really look forward to finding out what direction the story goes.

Fforde doesn't seem to have any news on further books in the series any more.  I wonder if Shades of Grey didn't sell well enough, and the publishers have said they don't want any more. :(  Mind you, I went to see him at an event in 2007 just after First Among Sequels was released, and he was talking about a third Nursery Crimes book then and there's still no sign of it!  

While I was typing this, I've just looked up some more info, and I've found this from the Next Book page on his website:

• 2015: US/UK Publication of thriller set in a world where humans have always hibernated: Early Riser
  • 2016: US/UK Publication of Dragonslayer IV: Humans V Trolls
  • 2016: USA/UK Publication of Shades of Grey Prequel: 7 Things to do before you die in Talgarth

Fforde doesn't seem to have any news on further books in the series any more.  I wonder if Shades of Grey didn't sell well enough, and the publishers have said they don't want any more. :(  Mind you, I went to see him at an event in 2007 just after First Among Sequels was released, and he was talking about a third Nursery Crimes book then and there's still no sign of it!  

While I was typing this, I've just looked up some more info, and I've found this from the Next Book page on his website:

• 2015: US/UK Publication of thriller set in a world where humans have always hibernated: Early Riser
  • 2016: US/UK Publication of Dragonslayer IV: Humans V Trolls
  • 2016: USA/UK Publication of Shades of Grey Prequel: 7 Things to do before you die in Talgarth

So, it seems then that he is writing a "Prequel" to Shades of Grey. I was hoping for book #2 but a Prequel is better than none. :)

I wonder what Early Riser is, a new series?

I think Fforde has so many great ideas for books that it's just a matter of getting the time to write them all! I think we'll see another Nursery Crimes book one day.

I think I will have to break down and actually "buy" one of the kindle  Nursery Crimes since our library doesn't have them. :) Of course I will request the library to buy it first. :)

btw, I am about 55% into Gathering Blue and loving the book so far.

Edited by muggle not

So, it seems then that he is writing a "Prequel" to Shades of Grey. I was hoping for book #2 but a Prequel is better than none. :)

I think I will have to break down and actually "buy" one of the kindle  Nursery Crimes since our library doesn't have them. :) Of course I will request the library to buy it first. :)

btw, I am about 55% into Gathering Blue and loving the book so far.

I'm glad you're enjoying Gathering Blue, Muggles! :)

Early Riser certainly sounds like it could be the start of a new series, doesn't it?

I found some more info about Jasper Fforde's writing plans. I'm going to post it in the Jasper Fforde thread shortly. :)

I think I will have to break down and actually "buy" one of the kindle  Nursery Crimes since our library doesn't have them. :) Of course I will request the library to buy it first. :

It took me a while to get in the right mindset for the first Nursery Crimes book as it was only my second ever Fforde, but I started it in a café and it wasn't conducive to concentration, so I went back and read the first chapter again when I got home, and it all fell into place. It was just as good as the Thursday Next series, and made me realise I do like crime novels, they just need to be quirky and unusual! Hope you get the chance to read them soon. :)

An update on books read this year.

14. Gathering Blue - Lois Lowry - 8/10 - I loved the book and the surprises it sprung on me although I thought something was going on. I immediately put the Messenger on hold at the library.

12. Thursday Next: First Among Sequels - Jasper Fforde - 7/10.....first half of book was ok, second half was very good and I enjoyed it. I like Thursday Next. :)

9. Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut - sorry, no review / no rating....this just wasn't my type of book and it wouldn't be fair for me to rate it.

7. The Universe Versus Alex Woods by Gavin Extence - 8/10 or probably 9/10 ...I really liked this book which is the first written by Gavin Extence.

3. The Girl Who Saved The King of Sweden by Jonas Jonasson - 8/10....a delightful book and I enjoyed it tremendously. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

1. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee - 10/10....I can't say enough about this book. Absolutely a great book. One of the best I have ever read

Tonight I will start reading "The Last Dragonslayer"  by Jasper Fforde which I downloaded from the library a little while ago. :)

I've started that one today too! :D

I know, that is where I got the idea, and it was available from the library while I wait on a couple other books. :)

http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/437-jasper-fforde/page-10

Edited by muggle not

I seemed to be going slower with my reading this year. An update on books read this year.

15. The Last Dragonslayer - Jasper Fforde - 8/10 - Nice book. I really enjoyed it. The heroine, Jennifer Strange, was a delight.

14. Gathering Blue - Lois Lowry - 8/10 - I loved the book and the surprises it sprung on me although I thought something was going on. I immediately put the Messenger on hold at the library.

I started reading "The Humans" by Matt Haig (I actually bought the kindle book) :)

Edited by muggle not

I seemed to be going slower with my reading this year. An update on books read this year.

16. The Humans - Matt Haig - 9/10 - What a wonderful book. One of the best I have read this year,

15. The Last Dragonslayer - Jasper Fforde - 8/10 - Nice book. I really enjoyed it. The heroine, Jennifer Strange, was a delight.

1. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee - 10/10....I can't say enough about this book. Absolutely a great book. One of the best I have ever read.

Edited by muggle not

Glad to hear you enjoyed The Humans, Muggles. :) What's up next?

I'm so glad you enjoyed The Humans :)! I echo Kylie's question, what will you read next?

Last night was the first night in a long time that I did not have a book to read.  I am in a quandary right now. Books I have on hold at the library are:

Son by Lois Lowry - I am # 46 on hold and there are 4 copies

Messenger by Lois Lowry - I am #32 on hold and there are 4 kindle copies

The Girl on the Train - I am #352 on hold and there are 13 kindle copies (long wait :))

Unbroken - I am #10 on hold and there are 26 kindle copies (so, I could get my copy very soon)

The Rosie Project - I am #112 on hold and there are 9 kindle copies

Do I wait for Unbroken by Laura Hildebrand to come available or look for another book which is available now. I could get another Jasper Fforde book but I have read about 3 of his recently. Need to decide soon as I cannot go without a book to read. :)

Edited by muggle not