Janet

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Emoticons culled.

You really are, and I think you're continuing the tradition with your own kids :yes:

Thank you. :) I am (well, we are – Peter must get some of the credit :) ) very lucky indeed – they are great company and lovely people. I still find it hard to believe I’m the parent of two adults! Well, nearly – Abi is 18 in July. In fact it’s quite a year as Luke will be 21 this year, and will be Peter 50!

That's a diplomatic way of putting it!  Remember when you first got your Kindle and you were a bit apprehensive about it? :D And now look at you go!

I know. I actually really love it! There will always be a place for some paper books in my life but I love the convenience of the Kindle – especially since I upgraded to the Paperwhite one.

And here's another thing that's been somewhat surprising to you (and me, a fellow sci-fi avoider)! Soon you'll have outread him-who's-name-shall-not-be-mentioned when it comes to sci-fi :D

:giggle: Hehe – don’t let him hear you say that! Although I think he’s diverted to swashbuckling adventures at the moment!

I think I would love British seaside towns. Sigh

Some are lovely, it’s true. I really like the seaside out of season. I’d love to live somewhere like Aldeburg on the East Coast – Peter and I saw a house there once which was right on the beach and they had a study upstairs with a bay window right on the seafront. I could see myself sitting in that window reading – although I’d probably be distracted watching the rough seas crashing on the pebbly beach. :wub:  It would have to be far back enough not to be swallowed up by the sea though.  That can happen with coastal properties.

Thong and Piddle :lol: But yeah, Kylie's really one to talk, she got some crazy names going there, down under!

We do have some odd ones – I believe there is a camp site in Dorset at a place called Sandy Balls! :giggle:

Stranger things have happened than people doing a repetitive job and trying to find some way to make it a bit more fun :rolleyes::D I guess we ought to call ourselves lucky that they didn't put the sticker up her skirt!

:rolol:  That would have been funny!

It is but I love it :D I don't hear it very often. It's a bit wack though if you start thinking about it a bit too literally :D  

We certainly do have some odd expressions.  Do you have the Finnish equivalent for someone looking like the back end of a bus?!  

Yeah! Trouble for Kylie!!

:giggle2::D

:giggle:  I’m not very far in (lack of reading time as much as anything else) but so far I’m liking the writing style – it’s very easy to read.  :)

Emoticons culled.

I was going to remind you that you English people were the ones who settled in this country and named our places...and then I realised that both of the names you mentioned are Aboriginal names. :doh: Most of our cool names are Aboriginal names, and the more conventional ones tend to be copies of your own towns (Liverpool, Gloucester etc.)

I love many of the Aboriginal names – they sound so much fun! I don’t envisage ever being able to visit Australia. It’s such a long way and I’m terrified of flying so I really don’t think it’ll ever be an option.  :( It’s a shame as I know so many Brits who have been and who love it. It’s such a large country that I think we’d need at least a month and then we’d only scratch the surface of it.

My Mum moved to a different area of the state recently, and when she was looking for a place to buy, I begged her to move to the suburb of Watanobbi (yes, what-a-knobby) or Kangy Angy, but she bought in a boringly named area instead. :( But still, every time I visit her now, we drive past the signs to those suburbs and I always have to point them out and laugh, like the mature person I am.  Come to think of it, Mum and Dad and I often used to play around with place names when we went on driving trips. I'm sure people would think we were nuts if they had overheard us.

:rolol: Watanobbi! Kangy Angy sounds like a marsupial-type book character – you should write a book about him (or her)!

I would point and laugh at place names like those too! Growing old is compulsory but growing up is definitely optional! :D

My ex and I once went camping on New Year's Eve to some place in the middle of nowhere just because we liked its name (Wantabadgery). Places with interesting names simply must be explored.

I agree. :yes:

Still, I think your towns with multiple hyphenated names beat all! What about that 'Elephant and Castle' place?! Not hyphenated, I know, but it's so random (and therefore cool). I love it!

Yes, it’s a great name, isn’t it!

Wales has some corkers! We went here a couple of years ago just to see this sign at the railway station!

IMG_0185%20-%20Copy_zps1ftouvb3.jpg

(It’s known locally as Llanfair PG, I believe!)

And I bet you say that every year too. ;)

You might be right! :giggle:

I'm one to talk? But I didn't say anything until just now!

Y U pickin' on me, woman? You were the first to say how excited you were. I was just backing you up! :P

Hehe – you two! :giggle:

:lol:  Can't wait to find out if you bought anything! :D

Ta-dah!

2015%20New%20Books%206%20-%2008.03.15_zp

A friend recommended this one as her 'favourite book every' and I liked the sound of it, so I thought I'd give it a go.  :)

That's a nice sign :). I presume full English means an English breakfast? With sausages and egg and beans and toast or something? Excuse me for being a foreigner :blush2:.

No apology necessary, Athena.  Your English is excellent and you are exactly right - that is what a full English is.  :)  :hug:

006-2015-Jan-28-The%20Enormous%20Crocodi

The Enormous Crocodile by Roald Dahl

The ‘blurb’

With his "secret plans and clever tricks," the Enormous Crocodile desires to lunch not with but on a nice, juicy child. His croc companion, the Notsobig One, is the first to try to talk him out of his scheme, claiming children are no good to eat. "'Tough and chewy!' cried the Enormous Crocodile. 'Nasty and bitter! What awful tommyrot you talk! They are juicy and yummy!'" One jungle critter after another--from Trunky the elephant to Muggle-Wump the monkey to the Roly-Poly Bird--tries to prevent the Enormous Crocodile from carrying out his dastardly deed, but on he waddles toward the village. Unfortunately for him, the animals have a few secret plans and clever tricks up their furry sleeves, too!

The Enormous Crocodile tells the Notsobig One that he is going to find something much tastier than fish to eat… children.  He sets out for a sumptuous feast, but things don’t go according to plan for the Enormous Crocodile…

What I love about Dahl’s books is that they aren’t all sweetness and light.  There is a dark side to them and Dahl doesn’t patronise children or assume that they’re all sensitive souls who can’t cope with anything remotely scary. 

Although I’m not the target audience, and I definitely wouldn’t have read this if it wasn’t for my Dahl challenge, I loved the ending!   If there is any chance of you reading this at any time then don’t read the spoiler…

The entire last page reads…

BANG!

the enormous crocodile crashed

headfirst into the hot, hot sun.

and he was sizzled up like a sausage!

Brilliant!

The paperback edition is 60 pages long and is published by Puffin.  It was first published in 1978.  The ISBN is 9780141311524.  

3/5 (Enjoyable)

(Finished 28 January 2015)

I thought of you on Saturday, Janet … I went to the fabric shop and they had a whole stack of Roald Dahl/Quentin Blake fabrics! :)  They were more for upholstery though, and a bit too heavy in weight for patchwork, so I didn't get any, but it made me think of you and your Matilda cushion. :)

Aww yes - I love my Matilda cushion.  :)

The photo really doesn't do it justice, but my Mum made me this for Christmas out of some of the leftover material.  I use it to take my tablet and lunch to work in!  :D

xMatilda%20Bag_zpsiqitixxy.jpg

:wub:

Aww yes - I love my Matilda cushion.  :)

The photo really doesn't do it justice, but my Mum made me this for Christmas out of some of the leftover material.  I use it to take my tablet and lunch to work in!  :D

This is lovely :D! My boyfriend bought me the same fabric while he was in the UK and is going to make pillow cases or cushions out of it for me. I love this fabric :wub:.

Y U pickin' on me, woman? You were the first to say how excited you were. I was just backing you up!

:giggle2: I was feeling cheeky!

I  know. I actually really love it! There will always be a place for some paper books in my life but I love the convenience of the Kindle – especially since I upgraded to the Paperwhite one.

I would be very worried if it had turned you completely off of tree books!  :hide: 

Hehe – don’t let him hear you say that! Although I think he’s diverted to swashbuckling adventures at the moment!

I hope those swashbuckling adventures will keep him busy and out of this thread so he won't hear us :giggle2:

And thanks for the new word of the day: Swashbuckling :D

Some are lovely, it’s true. I really like the seaside out of season. I’d love to live somewhere like Aldeburg on the East Coast – Peter and I saw a house there once which was right on the beach and they had a study upstairs with a bay window right on the seafront. I could see myself sitting in that window reading – although I’d probably be distracted watching the rough seas crashing on the pebbly beach. :wub:  It would have to be far back enough not to be swallowed up by the sea though.  That can happen with coastal properties.

Oh, I can imagine how beautiful the view must be. I'd love to live in something like that myself! Have you seen the movie A Series of Unfortunate Events? There's this house on top of the sea and it's great! :wub:

We do have some odd ones – I believe there is a camp site in Dorset at a place called Sandy Balls! 

:D  I hope it's close to a sea or a lake so it can have itself a wash :giggle2: 

We certainly do have some odd expressions.  Do you have the Finnish equivalent for someone looking like the back end of a bus?!

Yes we do! We say someone looks like a predatory bird's ass :giggle2: There's the added bonus of alliteration as it's 'petolinnun perse' in Finnish!

And I agree with everyone: the Matilda bag is absolutely gorgeous! :wub: 

It's adorable!   :wub:

This is lovely :D! My boyfriend bought me the same fabric while he was in the UK and is going to make pillow cases or cushions out of it for me. I love this fabric :wub:.

Aw that's amazing Janet!

She's very clever. :) My best friend is getting married in May and she's made some table runners - they're brilliant (they're not the Matilda pattern, sadly! :lol: )

Emoticons culled.

I would be very worried if it had turned you completely off of tree books! :hide:

That’ll never happen! For a start I always buy my Book Club books in paperback and sometimes Kindle too if they’re long!

I hope those swashbuckling adventures will keep him busy and out of this thread so he won't hear us

And thanks for the new word of the day: Swashbuckling :D

I think we've got away with it so far!  And I'm pleased to have been of service. :D

Oh, I can imagine how beautiful the view must be. I'd love to live in something like that myself! Have you seen the movie A Series of Unfortunate Events? There's this house on top of the sea and it's great! :wub:

Oh yes – I’d forgotten about that house! Has it got a big circular window or am I getting it muddled up with Hugo? It’s been a long time since I’ve seen either.

I hope it's close to a sea or a lake so it can have itself a wash :giggle2:

:rolol: Let’s hope so! :giggle2:

Yes we do! We say someone looks like a predatory bird's ass :giggle2: There's the added bonus of alliteration as it's 'petolinnun perse' in Finnish!

:giggle2: I like it!

And I agree with everyone: the Matilda bag is absolutely gorgeous! :wub:

Thanks.

I acquired two more books today!

2015%20New%20Books%207%20-%2011.03.15_zp 2015%20New%20Books%207b%20-%2011.03.15_z

The Chingiz Aitmatov has been on my wish list for a long, long time as the author was born in Kyrgyzstan so it counts towards my World Challenge.  I haven't read a book for that challenge for some time and this is under 100 pages long, so hopefully it won't take too long.  :)

Requiem for a Wren was one of the books that I was going to buy in Bath last week (when I forgot to take my Waterstone's vouchers and Book Tokens with me).  I looked in Mr B's Emporium of Reading Delights on Sunday but they didn't have it.  When I mentioned it to my Mum today she said she had a copy that I could have!  It's not the cover I wanted, which is more prettyful™ (this one, which matches my copy of On the Beach), but I didn't want to turn down a freebie.  If I ever come across the Vintage copy cheap I will replace it.

This years Stats (so far)

Total new books acquired in 2015: 10
Number of these read: 5
Total cost* of books acquired: £9.03

In 2014 at this point I had acquired 9 books, so I'm not doing as well as I'd hoped, but if I compare it to the same point in 2013 I had acquired 25 new books, so it could be worse! :giggle2:

Wales has some corkers! We went here a couple of years ago just to see this sign at the railway station!

IMG_0185%20-%20Copy_zps1ftouvb3.jpg

(It’s known locally as Llanfair PG, I believe!)

That.... is just impractical. :o

In 2014 at this point I had acquired 9 books, so I'm not doing as well as I'd hoped, but if I compare it to the same point in 2013 I had acquired 25 new books, so it could be worse! :giggle2:

If I had managed to buy 10 books for £9 I'd be DELIGHTED!