• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks.  :)

I hope you enjoy it.  :friends3:

I was a bit naughty (and extravagant  :blush:  )  as I had the paper book and then bought it on Kindle!

I had it on my Wish List but I ordered it for a friend for her birthday... knowing she'd probably lend it to me to read anyway... but it didn't arrive in time so I bought something else for her - but then I bought it on Kindle because it was only £1.99 and I wanted to read it on my Kindle because I was going on a bus journey.   I think I might give the book to my friend anyway.  :)

I finished The Family from One End Street by Eve Garnett today.  It was very enjoyable.

I'm horribly behind with my reviews.  My big stumbling block is The Dynamite Room.  I loved it, so the review should be easy, right.  :shrug:  And yet I can't seem to assemble any coherent thoughts about it.  :confused:

I finished The Family from One End Street by Eve Garnett today.  It was very enjoyable.

I'm horribly behind with my reviews.  My big stumbling block is The Dynamite Room.  I loved it, so the review should be easy, right.  :shrug:  And yet I can't seem to assemble any coherent thoughts about it.  :confused:

I think it's harder when it's a book you love. Don't let it stress you lovely Janet :hug:

Awwww :(.

I struggled a bit with my review of The Dynamite Room as well, because I try to avoid spoilers (even putting them in spoiler tags), and it was difficult to express how I felt about it and why I loved it.

I think it's harder when it's a book you love. Don't let it stress you lovely Janet :hug:

That happens to me a lot, Janet. There are several books I've loved and read multiple times (The Magicians, for one) about which I've simply never managed to write a coherent review.

Awwww :(.

I struggled a bit with my review of The Dynamite Room as well, because I try to avoid spoilers (even putting them in spoiler tags), and it was difficult to express how I felt about it and why I loved it.

Thanks all - it's good to have your support.  :friends3:  That's the wonderful thing about fellow Bookworms - you understand things like this. :)

Having mulled things over I think I'm going to leave a blank space in my blog for The Dynamite Room in the hope that I have some inspiration, because I haven't reviewed anything I've read since (and I like to do my reviews in order) and I'm concerned I might forget what I was going to write about those too!  :doh:  It won't be until the weekend some time though. 

Yesterday I started The Young Ardizzone by Edward Ardizzone and I finished it today.

What a gorgeous book!  I will write a proper review at some stage, but I loved this so much!  Ardizzone is probably my favourite illustrator (even more favourite than the wonderful Quentin Blake or the equally wonderful Ernest Shepard) so I treated myself to this - and it was a real treat as I don't think I've ever paid £12 for a paperback but this was worth every penny  - not just for the content but for the beautiful book.   It's the Slightly Foxed paperback edition.  I can see myself buying more (even though I think they're quite an extravagant purchase). I already have my eye on a couple of other titles.  :wub:

I forgot to say that I had an absolute disaaaster yesterday, dahlings.  :irked:  Okay, maybe not, but it was annoying.

I had some Waterstone's gift cards for Christmas and a couple of book tokens as leaving gifts from my very lovely ex-Tesco colleagues, so yesterday when I went into Bath I spent a fairly long time browsing in Waterstone's and settled on two titles to buy (I don't like spending them quickly - I love them and I enjoy the anticipation of spending them almost as much as the actual act of doing so), but as I headed for the tills I remembered that I'd decided not to take my handbag and my backpack with me so I just took the latter and... you've guessed it... the cards were in my handbag.   :Tantrum:  Aaaaargh!  :cray:

At least I realised before I'd got to the tills but I was so annoyed with myself.  Grr!

I'm catching up on reading logs as I've been very very behind again, so some of these comments will be about things that happened ages ago, sowwy! 

I stayed at my Mum's last night and this morning we took some donations to a 'pop-up' charity shop in her town and they had a sign outside saying "4 paperbacks for £1" so she bought two for me and two for herself.  I was drawn to the cover (the photo really doesn't do it justice) which is gold and sparkly!   The book is about the plague and (I think from the blurb) it's set 'now' and in 1599 - it sounds good.

Awww, what a lovely Mom, getting two for herself and two for you! =) 

002-2015-Jan-02-TheTimeMachine_zpsb8e5db

The Time Machine by H G Wells

What an absolutely gorgeous cover! If I had a cover like that on my copy, I'd start reading the book immediately. But no... Here's a picture of my copy.

Vintage sci-fi is a genre that I seem to find deeply satisfying, despite my best intentions! :P

:lol: Great review, I'm happy that you've discovered a new genre you enjoy.

And by the way, I'm happy to hear your new work is going well and that you now have your weekends off, after so many years of weekend work. It must feel absolutely blissful, and you definitely deserve all the weekend freedom and happiness! :smile2: 

Thanks.  The mug came from Waterstone's.  They had a BFG one in the window, but I wasn't so keen on that. I asked and the assistant if they had any more and she said she could 'only find a Matilda one' - but that was what I'd just said to Peter that I'd like if they had one!

What a wonderful coinkydinky! :D And I love the gesture, it was so nice and thoughtful of Peter. Awwww! And the picture of the Mudmare was really gorgeous! :o We don't have anything like that over here. Beautiful! 

That's a lovely pic of Weston-super-Mare, Janet (you Brits have the oddest place names!)

Agreed. :giggle2:

Edited by frankie

I spent some of my Waterstone's voucher money on a new book today...

2015%20New%20Books%204b%20-%2029.01.15_z

It's one I've had on my wish list for some time.  

I'm pleased to report that the vile-sticker-of-evilness   came off leaving the book unscathed!   

2015%20New%20Books%204a%20-%2029.01.15_z

Thank god the sticker came off, I would've been mighty p*ssed off it it hadn't!!!!  :censored:   Especially when it's a gorgeous cover and it was the stupidest place for the sticker they could've come up with!! 

Fancy putting the sticker right over the poor woman's face!  Especially when there's plenty of space where the window is.

Exactly! 'Buy a room with a view. Just £1,99.'

I know!  That's just cruel.  It's not like she looks like the back end of a bus even!   I really hate stickers, especially as I've had a few that have taken the shiny surface off the book off with them - but I hate leaving them on!

Back end of a bus  :rolol:  :lol: 

What a terribly nightmare with the book vouchers  :empathy:  So very frustrating! I hope you can soon find copies of the books you were going to buy with the vouchers!

And.... Mega mega excited about you starting The Shadow of the Wind!! :exc: No pressure :D 

Thanks, Kylie. I think I'm going to a large shopping centre in Essex next weekend so hopefully they'll have a Waterstone's. :)

I am going to start The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruis Zafon today. :)

If I had been in your position, I probably would have used the opportunity as an excuse to buy extra books (buy those two without the voucher and then use the voucher another time). :) In fact, I have a feeling that I have done exactly that before. I wish I had a better memory...

I think you'll really enjoy The Shadow of the Wind. :) (Oh dear. I hate saying that in case I'm wrong  :lurker:.)

If I had been in your position, I probably would have used the opportunity as an excuse to buy extra books (buy those two without the voucher and then use the voucher another time). :)

Hehe, I agree :giggle2:

I think you'll really enjoy The Shadow of the Wind. :) (Oh dear. I hate saying that in case I'm wrong  :lurker:.)

But you're always right! :o:lol:

Awww Janet, that's annoying :( I hope you get to buy some books soon :). I hope you enjoy The Shadow of the Wind, it's on my TBR but I haven't yet got around to reading it.

Thanks Gaia :)  I've only read the first few pages (in my lunch hour) but I think I'm going to like it.  :)

I'm catching up on reading logs as I've been very very behind again, so some of these comments will be about things that happened ages ago, sowwy!

That’s okay –it can be hard to keep up with all the blogs. :)

Awww, what a lovely Mom, getting two for herself and two for you!

She’s not bad! I’m a lucky girl. :wub:

What an absolutely gorgeous cover! If I had a cover like that on my copy, I'd start reading the book immediately. But no... Here's a picture of my copy.

It’s lovely, isn’t it. I read it on my Kindle though – although that’s the cover that shows up for Kindle. Your cover isn’t the most attractive. :(

:lol: Great review, I'm happy that you've discovered a new genre you enjoy.

I know – it’s really quite exciting! :D I’ve read a few now and really enjoyed them.

And by the way, I'm happy to hear your new work is going well and that you now have your weekends off, after so many years of weekend work. It must feel absolutely blissful, and you definitely deserve all the weekend freedom and happiness! :smile2:

Thanks. :) I’m really enjoying the new job. And I can’t deny it’s really, really good not to have to get up early or to have to work both days of the weekend. In the last 20 years I’ve done 14 (not consecutively) years of working Saturdays and Sunday so I’ve definitely done my time.

What a wonderful coinkydinky! :D And I love the gesture, it was so nice and thoughtful of Peter. Awwww! And the picture of the Mudmare was really gorgeous! :o We don't have anything like that over here. Beautiful!

He is thoughtful. :) I feel a bit mean now as locals call it Weston-Super-Mud because the tide goes out for miles and the beach is muddy rather than sandy when it’s out. It’s really called Weston-Super-Mare. It’s a typical British seaside town though. A bit tacky – but lots of people love it.

Agreed. :giggle2:

Some of our place names are odd (I grew up near a place called Thong, and there is a river in Dorset called the Piddle :giggle2: ) - but then Kylie has names like Wollongong and Mullumbimby so it’s not just us! :giggle:

Thank god the sticker came off, I would've been mighty p*ssed off it it hadn't!!!! :censored: Especially when it's a gorgeous cover and it was the stupidest place for the sticker they could've come up with!!

I really wonder what they were thinking? I wonder if they have some kind of game going on where they try to stick it in the most ridiculous place possible. But then I’d have thought people working there would be book lovers, so that doesn’t make sense. There were plenty of places to put it (if they have to put them anywhere) without it being on the main bit of the picture.

Back end of a bus :rolol::lol:

It’s a bit of a silly expression, isn’t it! :giggle:

What a terribly nightmare with the book vouchers :empathy: So very frustrating! I hope you can soon find copies of the books you were going to buy with the vouchers!

Thanks. :) Fingers crossed I can find them the next time I pop into a Waterstone’s.

And.... Mega mega excited about you starting The Shadow of the Wind!! :exc: No pressure :D

I know! I hope it lives up to my expectations now, or there will be trouble.

:giggle2:

If I had been in your position, I probably would have used the opportunity as an excuse to buy extra books (buy those two without the voucher and then use the voucher another time). :) In fact, I have a feeling that I have done exactly that before. I wish I had a better memory...

Hehe, I agree :giggle2:

I'm really trying to be good this year. I say that every year, but this year might be the year I read more books than I buy. :giggle2:

She’s not bad! I’m a lucky girl.

You really are, and I think you're continuing the tradition with your own kids :yes:

It’s lovely, isn’t it. I read it on my Kindle though – although that’s the cover that shows up for Kindle. Your cover isn’t the most attractive.

That's a diplomatic way of putting it! :D Remember when you first got your Kindle and you were a bit apprehensive about it? :D And now look at you go!

I know – it’s really quite exciting! I’ve read a few now and really enjoyed them.

And here's another thing that's been somewhat surprising to you (and me, a fellow sci-fi avoider)! Soon you'll have outread him-who's-name-shall-not-be-mentioned when it comes to sci-fi :D

He is thoughtful. I feel a bit mean now as locals call it Weston-Super-Mud because the tide goes out for miles and the beach is muddy rather than sandy when it’s out. It’s really called Weston-Super-Mare. It’s a typical British seaside town though. A bit tacky – but lots of people love it.

I think I would love British seaside towns. Sigh :)

Some of our place names are odd (I grew up near a place called Thong, and there is a river in Dorset called the Piddle) - but then Kylie has names like Wollongong and Mullumbimby so it’s not just us! 

Thong and Piddle :lol: But yeah, Kylie's really one to talk, she got some crazy names going there, down under! :giggle2:

I really wonder what they were thinking? I wonder if they have some kind of game going on where they try to stick it in the most ridiculous place possible. But then I’d have thought people working there would be book lovers, so that doesn’t make sense. There were plenty of places to put it (if they have to put them anywhere) without it being on the main bit of the picture.

Stranger things have happened than people doing a repetitive job and trying to find some way to make it a bit more fun :rolleyes::D I guess we ought to call ourselves lucky that they didn't put the sticker up her skirt! 

It’s a bit of a silly expression, isn’t it! :giggle:

It is but I love it :D I don't hear it very often. It's a bit wack though if you start thinking about it a bit too literally :D 

I know! I hope it lives up to my expectations now, or there will be trouble.

Yeah! Trouble for Kylie!!

:giggle2::D 

Emoticons culled.

but then Kylie has names like Wollongong and Mullumbimby so it’s not just us! :giggle:

I was going to remind you that you English people were the ones who settled in this country and named our places...and then I realised that both of the names you mentioned are Aboriginal names.  :doh: Most of our cool names are Aboriginal names, and the more conventional ones tend to be copies of your own towns (Liverpool, Gloucester etc.)

My Mum moved to a different area of the state recently, and when she was looking for a place to buy, I begged her to move to the suburb of Watanobbi (yes, what-a-knobby) or Kangy Angy, but she bought in a boringly named area instead. :( But still, every time I visit her now, we drive past the signs to those suburbs and I always have to point them out and laugh, like the mature person I am. :blush2: Come to think of it, Mum and Dad and I often used to play around with place names when we went on driving trips. I'm sure people would think we were nuts if they had overheard us.  :blush2:

My ex and I once went camping on New Year's Eve to some place in the middle of nowhere just because we liked its name (Wantabadgery). Places with interesting names simply must be explored.

Still, I think your towns with multiple hyphenated names beat all! What about that 'Elephant and Castle' place?! Not hyphenated, I know, but it's so random (and therefore cool). I love it!

I'm really trying to be good this year. I say that every year, but this year might be the year I read more books than I buy.

And I bet you say that every year too. ;)

But yeah, Kylie's really one to talk, she got some crazy names going there, down under! 

I'm one to talk? But I didn't say anything until just now! :o

Yeah! Trouble for Kylie!!

Y U pickin' on me, woman? :P You were the first to say how excited you were. I was just backing you up! :P