Janet

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

True - I like your thinking!  :D

I've had a lovely day today.  I met up with Kay, Alan and Claire in Cirencester. :wub:  We met in the Costa at the back of Waterstone's and spent four hours there chatting and drinking and cake might have been involved.  It didn't feel like four hours though - the time whizzed by.

I was tempted by several books but managed to be a good girl!  I did buy some Christmas cards, but that's all!  Cheerful.gif

Definitely - roll on next time!  :)

039-2015-Aug-14-The%20Versions%20of%20Us

The Versions of Us by Laura Barnett

The ‘blurb’

What if you had said yes . . . ?

Eva and Jim are nineteen, and students at Cambridge, when their paths first cross in 1958. Jim is walking along a lane when a woman approaching him on a bicycle swerves to avoid a dog.

What happens next will determine the rest of their lives.

We follow three different versions of their future - together, and apart - as their love story takes on different incarnations and twists and turns to the conclusion in the present day.

The Versions of Us is an outstanding début novel about the choices we make and the different paths that our lives might follow.

What if one small decision could change the rest of your life?   

I picked this up in Waterstone’s a few months ago (drawn to the cover, of course!) but as I don’t get on with hardbacks I thought I’d have to wait for the paperback, so I was pleased when it was a 99p deal of the day on Kindle.

It tells the story – in three different variations - of Eva and Jim, two students studying at Cambridge University.  In the first version, Eva has a puncture and Jim comes to her rescue.  In the second no puncture occurs, and although they pass one another they don’t meet - and in the third version they meet, but there is no romance after Eva decides to do the ‘right thing’ and stay with her current boyfriend.

I liked the idea of this book.  It’s been compared to the film Sliding Doors, but as I haven’t seen it, I can’t say whether that’s a fair comparison.

I suppose at some time in our lives everyone has wondered “what if”?  What if you said yes to that date – or what if you had said no? What if you had gone to Uni instead of taking that job…?  Although in each story Eva and Jim follow separate paths, there are elements that appear in all three books and I quite liked that aspect as it suggests that some things in life will happen whatever decision you make, even if there is no way to prove whether that is the case or not.  I found the jumping around between the stories and timeframes to be rather confusing to start with, trying to keep up with which particular event I was reading.  Once I did get my head round that I did quite enjoy it, but at the same time I didn’t find it very satisfying and I didn’t really like that there was no definitive ending.

This is Laura Barnett’s début novel, and whilst it wasn’t perfect I thought it was very good for a first book.  Would I read another by her? Maybe, if I like the sound of it enough, but with so many other books out there, I shan’t actively seek it out. 

The paperback edition is 432 pages long and is published by Weidenfeld & Nicolson.  It was first published in 2015 and the paperback version will be released on  1 December 2015.  The ISBN is 9781474600897.   I read it on my Kindle.

3/5 (I quite enjoyed it)

(Finished 14 August 2015)

038-2015-Aug-14-The%20Vicar%20of%20Nibbl

The Vicar of Nibbleswicke by Roald Dahl

The ‘blurb’

I’ve put this behind a cut as it gives away the entire story!

Reverend Lee doesn't realise that his dyslexia is affecting his sermons. His parishioners are at first amused and then shocked by the garbled messages coming from the pulpit. Finally a cure is found. The Vicar must walk backwards for the rest of his life.

This was written by Dahl to raise money for, and promote awareness of, Dyslexia.  The Reverend Lee suffers from a rare form of Dyslexia which means that when he talks, odd words come out backwards.  Well, you can imagine what happens when he meets Mrs Prewt – and when he tells his congregation where to park!    As it was written for charity, it is only a very short book, illustrated by Quentin Blake – it only takes five or ten minutes to read.  It was amusing but due to its brevity it wasn’t one of Dahl’s best.  I’m glad I borrowed it from the library rather than buying it.

The paperback edition is 48 pages long and is published by Puffin.  It was first published in 1991.  The ISBN is 978 0140348910.  

2½/5 (It was okay)

(Finished 14 August 2015)

040-2015-Aug-26-How%20to%20be%20Both_zps

How To Be Both by Ali Smith

The ‘blurb’

How to be both is a novel all about art's versatility. Borrowing from painting's fresco technique to make an original literary double-take, it's a fast-moving genre-bending conversation between forms, times, truths and fictions. There's a renaissance artist of the 1460s. There's the child of a child of the 1960s. Two tales of love and injustice twist into a singular yarn where time gets timeless, structural gets playful, knowing gets mysterious, fictional gets real - and all life's givens get given a second chance.

Oh gosh, where to start!  I’m going to find it very difficult to review this book.  I shall start by saying that if it wasn’t for the fact it was a Book Club read I definitely would have given up on it very quickly.  I probably wouldn’t have bought it at all if I’d read the first few pages in a book shop!

This book consists of two stories.   One is a contemporary tale of young girl called George who is trying to come to terms with her mother’s untimely death whilst having to look after her brother as her father deals with his grief using alcohol as a crutch - and the other is about Francesco del Cossa, a 15th century artist who painted a series of frescoes in a Renaissance palace in Italy.  It would seem that these two characters could have nothing in common, but there is a theme that weaves the two stories together quite cleverly.

Talking of cleverly, that’s exactly how the book is constructed – not only in terms of story but also because some books are published with George’s section first, and some with Francesco’s – and it doesn’t really matter which version one starts with… except that Francesco’s part is quite difficult to read in terms of structure and, early on in the book, in content. Fortunately that improved and having stuck with the book, thanks to Claire's advice, I ended up enjoying it.   I didn’t love it, but I did enjoy it and appreciate the cleverness of it. It hasn’t made me want to read any more of Smith’s books, but it made for a really good discussion at book club, and for that reason I’m glad I read it. 

The paperback edition is 384 pages long and is published by Penguin.  It was first published in 2014.  The ISBN is 9780141025209.   I read it the Kindle version.

3/5 (I enjoyed it)

(Finished 26 August 2015)

041-2015-Aug-29-Chitty%20Chitty%20Bang%2

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang by Ian Fleming

The ‘blurb’
Caractacus, Mimsie, Jeremy and Jemima Pott are no ordinary family. And Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is no ordinary car.

She can swim. She can fly. She can even think for herself... And she belongs to the Pott family – which is no ordinary family.

Inventing and exploring are what the Pott family do. But when they find themselves in danger from gangsters and explosions, there is only one way to go...

Up and away in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - can the Crackpotts beat the crooks in time?

I love the film Chitty Chitty Bang Bang starring everyone’s favourite American cockney, Dick Van Dyke! So much so that my husband recorded it one Christmas when I was at work. Over the top of our wedding video! Yes, we are still married…

I had often thought I ought to read the book on which the film is based. It was written by Ian Fleming, the man responsible for creating James Bond, and was written for his son Caspar. I didn’t realise until I was chatting to Willoyd that the book was going to be so different from the film! Really, there is very little of the book in the film. For a start, Caractacus is happily married – there is no castle, no Baron Bombastic, not even a Child-catcher! Despite this, it’s an enjoyable story. I’m sure I’d have enjoyed it more if I’d read it without knowing the film.

The paperback edition is 160 pages long and is published by Puffin. It was first published in 1964. The ISBN is 9780141313573.

3½/5 (I enjoyed it)

(Finished 29 August 2015)

042-2015-Sept-01-The%20Letter_zpspoamvp8

The Letter by Kathryn Hughes

The ‘blurb’
Tina Craig longs to escape her violent husband. She works all the hours God sends to save up enough money to leave him, also volunteering in a charity shop to avoid her unhappy home. Whilst going through the pockets of a second-hand suit, she comes across an old letter, the envelope firmly sealed and unfranked. Tina opens the letter and reads it - a decision that will alter the course of her life for ever...

Billy Stirling knows he has been a fool, but hopes he can put things right. On 4th September 1939 he sits down to write the letter he hopes will change his future. It does - in more ways than he can ever imagine...

The Letter tells the story of two women, born decades apart, whose paths are destined to cross and how one woman's devastation leads to the other's salvation.

I really loved the sound of this book. I’d been dithering for ages whether to buy it or not, but it was only 49p so I thought it was worth a punt.

Tina is unhappily married to a man who thinks nothing of using her as a punch bag. He promises that next time it will be different… but it never is. She works full time, but in order to spend as much time as possible away from the marital home she also works in a charity shop at the weekend. One day, whilst going through some clothes she finds an unopened letter, and after much deliberation, she opens it – and reads it. She decides to try to track down the intended recipient of the letter – an action which will have far-reaching effects.

Sadly, it was very poorly written – in fact, it read like one of those ‘real life’ stories from the kind of woman’s magazine I only read when I’m sitting in the dentist’s waiting room and I've forgotten my book. I kept going, hoping the book would improve, but sadly it didn’t. As I said, it’s a shame, as the storyline had promise but the execution was a real let-down.

The paperback edition is 416 pages long and is published by Headline Review. It was first published in 2015 and the paperback version will be released on 8 October 2015. The ISBN is 9781472229953. I read it on my Kindle.

2/5 (It was okay)

(Finished 1 September 2015)

041-2015-Aug-29-Chitty%20Chitty%20Bang%2

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang by Ian Fleming

The ‘blurb’

Caractacus, Mimsie, Jeremy and Jemima Pott are no ordinary family. And Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is no ordinary car.

She can swim. She can fly. She can even think for herself... And she belongs to the Pott family – which is no ordinary family.

Inventing and exploring are what the Pott family do. But when they find themselves in danger from gangsters and explosions, there is only one way to go...

Up and away in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - can the Crackpotts beat the crooks in time?

I love the film Chitty Chitty Bang Bang starring everyone’s favourite American cockney, Dick Van Dyke! So much so that my husband recorded it one Christmas when I was at work. Over the top of our wedding video! Yes, we are still married…

I had often thought I ought to read the book on which the film is based. It was written by Ian Fleming, the man responsible for creating James Bond, and was written for his son Caspar. I didn’t realise until I was chatting to Willoyd that the book was going to be so different from the film! Really, there is very little of the book in the film. For a start, Caractacus is happily married – there is no castle, no Baron Bombastic, not even a Child-catcher! Despite this, it’s an enjoyable story. I’m sure I’d have enjoyed it more if I’d read it without knowing the film.

The paperback edition is 160 pages long and is published by Puffin. It was first published in 1964. The ISBN is 9780141313573.

3½/5 (I enjoyed it)

(Finished 29 August 2015)

Goes to show what a difference it makes, the order in which you read/see things.  For me, brought up on the book, the film, fun as it is, has never been a patch on the original (There's quite a few Disney films about which that can be said, starting with The Jungle Book, Mary Poppins and Winnie-the-Pooh, the films all paling into insignificance in comparison with the books - however brilliant Julie Andrews was!)   It'll be interesting to see what they make of CCBB in the stage production - it's on as the Christmas show at the Playhouse in Leeds.

That's interesting - although I enjoyed the book of Mary Poppins when I read it last year (think I gave it a 3), I was brought up on the film and think that's much more fun! 

Just catching up on your reviews J after being in the US - the Laura Barnett sounds very interesting, shame it wasn't as well executed as the premise promised. I keep meaning to give Ali Smith a go just to see what I'll make of her, but I must admit the reviews don't exactly leave me convinced... 

Enjoyed catching up with your reads as usual. :)

043-2015-Sept-01-Dumb%20Witness_zps3ll1u

Dumb Witness by Agatha Christie

The ‘blurb’
Everyone blamed Emily's accident on the stairs on her dog, but she was convinced someone was trying to kill her. She wrote to Poirot with her suspicions on April 17th, but the letter did not arrive until June 28th, by which time she was dead.

The action opens at Little House, a residence in a small village in Berkshire where we are introduced to Emily Arundell’s family who have come to visit for the weekend. Included in the company are her companion, Minnie Lawson and also Bob who is Emily’s little fox terrier dog.

Through the dialogue we learn that each of the residents has some sort of motive for Emily’s death, which occurs a few weeks after she falls down the stairs in the night – an accident attributed to ‘Master Bob’ who enjoys dropping his ball from the top of the stairs and then rushing down to try to catch it at the bottom. Some time after her death, Poirot receives a letter from the deceased and he, together with his trusty sidekick Hastings, sets off to Berkshire to try to find out the truth…

Peter and I have watched most of the Poirots that were shown on ITV starring David Suchet as the little Belgium detective. This is one of the few stories from that series that I actually remembered not only the plot, but also ‘whodunit’ – but I took it out on audio book from the library to listen to whilst walking anyway as it was the only Christie available from the branch I had visited. It’s narrated by Hugh Fraser, who played Captain Hastings – he narrates it in character, so “Poirot said this, Emily looked crossly at him and I jumped to his defence…” – an element which added to my enjoyment.

The characterisation, as you would expect from Christie, is excellent and there is some amusing dialogue. I particularly liked the description of one of the characters as being a “Plain girl. Face like a scone”! :giggle2:  As I said, I remembered this story, but despite there being no surprises for me I really enjoyed it and I particularly loved the characterisation of Bob, who ‘talks’ to Poirot and Hastings and is very endearing! :wub:

The paperback edition is 336 pages long and is published by Harper Collins. It was first published in 1937. The ISBN is 9780008129569.

4/5 (I really enjoyed it)

(Finished 1 September 2015)

Goes to show what a difference it makes, the order in which you read/see things.  For me, brought up on the book, the film, fun as it is, has never been a patch on the original (There's quite a few Disney films about which that can be said, starting with The Jungle Book, Mary Poppins and Winnie-the-Pooh, the films all paling into insignificance in comparison with the books - however brilliant Julie Andrews was!)   It'll be interesting to see what they make of CCBB in the stage production - it's on as the Christmas show at the Playhouse in Leeds.

I agree that it's best to read the book first.  I didn't actually read that or Mary Poppins as a child, so I had no expectations of the films.  :)  I do hope your class - and you - enjoy your upcoming theatre trip. I wish I'd been in your class as a child (not that you're old enough to have been my teacher, of course! :lol:  ).

That's interesting - although I enjoyed the book of Mary Poppins when I read it last year (think I gave it a 3), I was brought up on the film and think that's much more fun! 

Just catching up on your reviews J after being in the US - the Laura Barnett sounds very interesting, shame it wasn't as well executed as the premise promised. I keep meaning to give Ali Smith a go just to see what I'll make of her, but I must admit the reviews don't exactly leave me convinced... 

I love the film version of Mary Poppins, Alex - and it's one of Peter's favourites too so we always watch it at Christmas! :)   I downloaded the Complete set of Mary Poppins last year when it was 99p on Kindle (it's currently £10.99, so that was a good buy), but I've yet to read any of it.  I'm not sure I'll read all six (I think) books though. 

I didn't hate the Barnett - and I know a few people who have loved it.  It just didn't quite live up to my expectations, but that's probably as much to do with me as with the book.  I'm not sure I will be trying another Ali Smith.  If you do fancy one, I'm sure Claire can give you a recommendation of where to start. 

Thanks.  :)

Am I going mad, btw?  Did I offer to send you a book?  It's in the back of my mind that I did! If I did and you said yes then I've not only forgotten to post it, but I've forgotten what it was!

I watched Mary Poppins as a child, I don't remember much. The boy wanted to buy bread for the pigeons, but the bankers gave him a lesson on life savings. There was also rain, and the children jumped with the nanny through a painting on the floor. There was London, and the nanny flew through it with an umbrella. The good old days, when you could use an umbrella in central London; but to be fair, she was flying.

Am I going mad, btw? Did I offer to send you a book? It's in the back of my mind that I did! If I did and you said yes then I've not only forgotten to post it, but I've forgotten what it was!

If so, I have also completely forgotten about it :D

I have put down Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie.  TBH, I'm not sure I will pick it up again, even though it's a Book Club book and I normally persevere to the bitter end with them.  It's a shame as I've read a few great books set in India which have been wonderful.  I feel like I've been reading it forever but I'm only on P92.  

I just clicked on 'time left in book' and it tells me I still have 15h, 19m left to plough through. :thud: Apparently the film was on TV on Sunday night. I wish I'd known as I could have at least watched that before our meeting.

I've decided to try The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro next.  :)

I have put down Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie. TBH, I'm not sure I will pick it up again, even though it's a Book Club book and I normally persevere to the bitter end with them. It's a shame as I've read a few great books set in India which have been wonderful. I feel like I've been reading it forever but I'm only on P92.

I just clicked on 'time left in book' and it tells me I still have 15h, 19m left to plough through. :thud: Apparently the film was on TV on Sunday night. I wish I'd known as I could have at least watched that before our meeting.

I've decided to try The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro next. :)

If you have On Demand, Midnight's Children is available to watch now. :)