The Last Film You Saw - 2015

Athena

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Muppets Most Wanted. Very thin plot stretched out over what felt like four hours .. though I'm sure it was probably only a couple at most. Some funny bits but mostly padding. Ironic title.

Probably okay if you sit down every day to watch movies, I have to be persuaded if not downright coerced into it so to be so poorly rewarded was annoying. I probably did put it on the rental list though so deserved to suffer  :blush2: 

Edited by poppyshake

Apollo 13

It's been a while since I last saw this and some of the special effects are starting to look anything other than special, but it's still a jolly good film.

Disturbing to realise it is 20 years old this year, though . . .

I remember watching that film at the cinema. It was on a Saturday afternoon, and we were doing a marathon of three films in a day, and this was the middle one (although I can't remember what the other two were now).  It was packed out, and we had to sit on one of the side areas on the aisle, quite close to the front as it was the only place with two spaces left. Thought it would spoil the film for me, but it was so completely captivating, I don't think I even thought about it while the film was on.

Yesterday we rewatched X-men. I had forgot a lot for some reason (and I don't recollect what some of the other X-men films in our boxset were about), but it was enjoyable. I did find though that the last 40 mins were too much action, but overall I did enjoy re-watching it.

We went to see Shaun The Sheep Movie this afternoon … absolutely brilliant, and as it's half term, the cinema was packed with kids, and apart from the odd comment from the younger ones, they were captivated and didn't hear a peep out of them.  As usual with an Aardman film, spent the entire time spotting familiar Bristol buildings and streets :lol:

We went to see Shaun The Sheep Movie this afternoon … absolutely brilliant, and as it's half term, the cinema was packed with kids, and apart from the odd comment from the younger ones, they were captivated and didn't hear a peep out of them.  As usual with an Aardman film, spent the entire time spotting familiar Bristol buildings and streets :lol:

You can't go wrong with Aardman :) I read Mark Kermode's review and he loved it too .. though I'd rather take your word for it :D 

I watched Misery a few days ago. Managed to keep looking during the 'hobbling' scene. :blink:  Bit shocked to realise that film is 23 years old now. 23 years old!! :thud:

I'm now watching JFK. I haven't seen it in years....given that it's over 3 hours long I will probably watch it in stages. I rarely have the patience to watch films in one sitting. :icon_eek:

Yesterday evening I watched The Help, by Tate Taylor. Set in 1963 in a town in the state of Mississipi, United States, depicts the local black minority's struggle in a community where coloured people are explored by their white employers and have to fear for their lives everyday. The protagonists are Eugenia Phelan, a white young woman who aspires to become a journalist and writer, and Aibileen Clark, a black maid with a lifetime of servitude. As Eugenia's interested in what black people have to say, she decides to write a book based on their stories and interviews and seeks help from Aibileen in both knowing her story and convincing other black maids to tell theirs. However, there are many white people in Mississipi uninterested in the growing civil movement that aspires to give the people of colour their deserved equality and civil rights. It's a good film altogether, although the characters seemed one-dimensional and the story generic.

The film is based in Kathryn Stockett's novel of the same name.

Edited by Sousa

Has anyone watched Gone Girl. I see where it is now on cable and was thinking of possibly watching it.

Did you end up watching it? I thought it was ok, but I kept constantly comparing it to the book. I wish there had been more time between reading the book and watching the movie, so I could distance the two of them.

Yesterday we re-watched Futurama: The Beast with a Billion Backs which is our least favourite Futurama film. It was more enjoyable than I remembered, though, and I enjoyed watching it (even if I don't like it as much as the other ones).