The Last Film You Saw - 2015

Athena

Watched The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Book Thief and Paddington with my mum and dad. Bit disastrous really and a warning to me not to attempt to watch films with them again  :D Unless it's The Sound of Music or something on the TV.

Wish I had seen Easter Parade .. I expect they do too  :blush2: 

Aw, didn't any of you enjoy the movies? I loved The Grand Budapest Hotel, but I can see why others wouldn't.

I watched parts of Easter Parade on the weekend. :) I love Judy Garland!

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw, didn't any of you enjoy the movies? I loved The Grand Budapest Hotel, but I can see why others wouldn't.

I watched parts of Easter Parade on the weekend. :) I love Judy Garland!

Yes .. I love all three. I particularly love The Grand Budapest Hotel and bought it for them .. forgetting that a lot of its charm is in the visuals. It's so madcap etc too .. and not being able to properly see it Dad couldn't follow it and Mum just about clung on. 

I felt bad then .. for not thinking it through properly  :blush2: 

I've been watching High Fidelity this week. It's not been grabbing me, so instead of watching it in one go, I've been watching 20-30 minutes clips when eating lunch or dinner :rolleyes:

I really like John Cusack and Jack Black, Frankie, and I wish that film would've been nothing but the guys interacting in the record store.  Otherwise the rest of the story with John and his 'top five breakups' really kind of bored me after the first viewing.

This past weekend we watched The Judge and it was pretty good.  The most outstanding thing about it was the acting by Robert Downey Jr. and Robert Duvall.  Superb!

PS:  And I also loved Grand Budapest Hotel!  But Wes Anderson is a god among filmmakers, IMO, so that's not a stretch for me :lol:

Edited by Peacefield

Yes .. I love all three. I particularly love The Grand Budapest Hotel and bought it for them .. forgetting that a lot of its charm is in the visuals. It's so madcap etc too .. and not being able to properly see it Dad couldn't follow it and Mum just about clung on. 

I felt bad then .. for not thinking it through properly  :blush2: 

Aw. We have to choose movies for our parents very carefully, don't we? My Dad would watch pretty much anything with me, but Mum is more picky. She doesn't like anything that jumps all over the place or is too weird, so I wouldn't recommend The Grand Budapest Hotel to her. Then again, I thought she wouldn't like Across the Universe (the Beatles musical) because it was a bit strange, but she really liked it and has seen it several times.

I really like John Cusack and Jack Black, Frankie, and I wish that film would've been nothing but the guys interacting in the record store.  Otherwise the rest of the story with John and his 'top five breakups' really kind of bored me after the first viewing.

One of the two reasons I watched the movie was because of the talk you and I had about the movie :) (The other one was that since first watching it, I've read the book and wanted to re-watch the movie). I too like John Cusack and Jack Black and I totally agree with you about what the movie should've been more about :D The listing and top five this and that was getting really annoying. And I don't like it when characters in TV series and movies talk straight to the camera and the viewer. Gives me the creeps :D 

I just finished watching Snow White and The Huntsman. I wish i hadn't.

Looked great, especially the scenes in the fairy sanctuary. Charlize Theron is deliciously evil, and the dwarves are definitely watchable, but oh my goodness, the others. 

Chris Hemsworth gave an average performance, ticking the boxes but with an air of not wanting to be there. And Kristen Stewart clearly can only give one kind of performance, a kind of dull witted pained young woman, who inexplicably inspires intense loyalty and adoration in others.

What am I missing when it comes to her? Is there a movie of hers out there that could give me a better impression of her acting? 

What am I missing when it comes to her? Is there a movie of hers out there that could give me a better impression of her acting? 

I haven't seen it, but she recently won a Cesar Award (one of the most reputable in the world) for her performance in "Clouds of Sils Maria", by Olivier Assayas; the film was a candidate for 2014's Palme d'Or. She was also praised by her performance in "Still Alice", by Richard Glatzer. Her fame for the freezing face might not be so much for her bad acting, but for people in general only seeing the dubious quality films when she might be restrained by character, plot or production limitations. Her counterpart in "Twilight", Robert Pattinson, has also earned critical praise for his performance in several less-known films.

Edited by Sousa

The Imitation Game

A very good film, but I think they have taken some liberties with actual events for dramatic purposes.  I need to find a good book on Bletchley Park . . . 

I really want to watch this.  If you find a good book, let me know, as I'd be interested to read it too. :)

^ Watch it, it is very good!

The Secrets of Station X, by Michael Smith and The Hut Six Story, by Gordon Welchman look to be two front runners at the moment.  I read an earlier version of the Station X book a number of years ago, when it was written to go with the Channel 4 program that was made at the same time, and it was quite good (though it focused more on the code breaking effort than the people involved).  Will have a more in-depth look at the weekend.

Anyway, now to watch Interstellar . . .

Yesterday we re-watched The Secret of my Success, a film from 1987 with Michael J. Fox. It was great to see it again! I was quite tired though, so I wasn't able to concentrate every moment, but it was very enjoyable.

The Imitation Game, thought it was brilliant! Not a huge fan of Cumberbatch but he did great. Wish they had filmed a bit more at Bletchley and Bletchley Park though, I grew just around the corner and worked there during my summers when I wasn't at Uni. It's a beautiful location.

^ The same thing happened with Enigma.  Bletchley Park just doesn't seem to be suitable for filming films about, err, Bletchley Park!

Interstellar

Some good, solid science fiction elements, but otherwise too long, too pretentious and too sentimental for my liking.

Yesterday we re-watched The World's End. It was very enjoyable, though I do prefer Hot Fuzz. Which I really want to re-watch too now, even though I've seen it quite a few times already. Maybe we can do so soon. I also want to see Shaun of the Dead again but unfortunately we don't have that one on DVD. I haven't seen it in any shops here in the Netherlands, but I can order it online. Might have to do that some time.