What's Up in January? - 2015

Athena

Nope- just a few people joking about it :smile:

At least measles are curable!  No picnic though, for sure.  Did you have them?

Yeah, both varieties, when I was a child.  I was lucky though.  It kills some people, and blinds some as well.  It's no joking matter. And if a pregnant woman catches Rubella, it can certainly harm the child.

The vaccine wasn't available when I was a child. It came out about 7 years after I'd already had it.

Edited by pontalba

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, both varieties, when I was a child.  I was lucky though.  It kills some people, and blinds some as well.  It's no joking matter. And if a pregnant woman catches Rubella, it can certainly harm the child.

The vaccine wasn't available when I was a child. It came out about 7 years after I'd already had it.

Ya, my mom had it, as well.  All of my grandmother's siblings (obviously before the vacc was around) had it too.  Only one of 8 had any lasting problems though, he was sterile. 

Schools here in our district are SUPER strict about vacc's though.  Which, the way these colds and flu's are passed around, is a good thing.  We have been sick since week 2 of school.

Ya, my mom had it, as well.  All of my grandmother's siblings (obviously before the vacc was around) had it too.  Only one of 8 had any lasting problems though, he was sterile. 

Schools here in our district are SUPER strict about vacc's though.  Which, the way these colds and flu's are passed around, is a good thing.  We have been sick since week 2 of school.

Hmm, didn't realize measles could cause sterility.  Mumps can, I know. 

We saw something yesterday on CBSN showing a pediatrician that is telling his patients that if they don't get their children the vaccine, he won't keep them as a patient. 

He is afraid of exposing the children too young to receive the vacc to the disease. 

Yeah, re the flu...the latest version of the flu shot is only 25% effective.  The strain mutated too late for them to change the shot. 

I can't take the flu shot anyhow, I had a bad reaction about 10 years ago.

Yeah, re the flu...the latest version of the flu shot is only 25% effective.  The strain mutated too late for them to change the shot. 

I can't take the flu shot anyhow, I had a bad reaction about 10 years ago.

My daughter is just getting over the flu that she got (thankfully or we'd thought it measles lol) the day before we got to Disneyland.  She had the flu vaccine too, so.  Every week, at least one of her classmates is sick.  They are all just little germs!