Frankie reads 2015

frankie

^ I only just noticed that I accidentally gave the book 4/5 when I meant to give it 3/5. 

In other, unrelated news, that have actually no place here in my reading log but as I've already been talking about my studies....: I had two oral expression essays to write plus the abstract for the BA thesis, and then the maturity exam on Friday. Today I've finished one of the oral expression essays and I'm currently writing the second and final one. I hope, hope, hope to finish it by the end of the day! Then I only have the short abstract to write... I really want to finish everything before I leave for Nurmes on Sunday. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't believe what that was all like :empathy: I would've completely lost it if I were you! Your dilemmas were more serious than mine, too, because you actually did have to do some extra work whereas mine was just a false alarm, and you had such incompetent staffers who didn't think to tell you in time about the extra work!! Did they even apologize??

And the money worries on top of everything else... Over here we have free university education so I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to have to pay for uni. I'm so grateful for that and I've had it so easy compared to other people. I'm so glad you talked to your study advisor about it and he was so understanding and professional about it. :empathy: Well, of course it was his job to make it all easier for you... But I've realized that professors and other staffers are only people, too, and you can really talk to them if you're worried about things, and they'll try and make things easier for you. They are not just academic robot monsters! (Well not all of them :giggle2:)

I cannot believe that they sent you the wrong invitation, too! They managed to fudge up everything, didn't they! :empathy: I bet you were really relieved when you finally got your diploma. It's awful that the last memories of your uni years are ones where so many things went wrong. I hope you have nice memories of your uni, too!

Thank you so much for your kind words, Frankie :hug:. It was a difficult time (and they didn't even apologise!!) (I cried several times), but I'm very glad it's all over now. I do have nice memories of uni, gladly :).

In other, unrelated news, that have actually no place here in my reading log but as I've already been talking about my studies....: I had two oral expression essays to write plus the abstract for the BA thesis, and then the maturity exam on Friday. Today I've finished one of the oral expression essays and I'm currently writing the second and final one. I hope, hope, hope to finish it by the end of the day! Then I only have the short abstract to write... I really want to finish everything before I leave for Nurmes on Sunday.

Good luck!! I'll think of you in the coming times :friends3:.

Thank you so much for your kind words, Frankie :hug:. It was a difficult time (and they didn't even apologise!!) (I cried several times), but I'm very glad it's all over now. I do have nice memories of uni, gladly :).

Good luck!! I'll think of you in the coming times :friends3:.

I can't believe they didn't apologize!! That's so incredibly rude of them and so, so unprofessional :( :( :empathy:   Never again!

I've now finished the abstract and one of the essays and only have half of the second one left, should be easy goings tomorrow :)

Oh, Mom had bought me a book at some flea market or second hand shop! It was a copy of the Huckleberry Finn book by Mark Twain. A nice Finnish hardback, in really good condition :smile2: She'd also gotten me a book on smoothies, and then a general cook book. :smile2:

Edited by frankie

Oh .. lovely Mum :hug: .. bookie presents!! :D 

Well done with getting so far with the abstract and the essays .. hope you can have a more restful day tomorrow :hug: .. perhaps you'll get time to look at the smoothie recipes :D Look forward to you trying them out .. I could do with recommendations :)

I can't believe they didn't apologize!! That's so incredibly rude of them and so, so unprofessional :( :( :empathy:   Never again!

I've now finished the abstract and one of the essays and only have half of the second one left, should be easy goings tomorrow :)

Oh, Mom had bought me a book at some flea market or second hand shop! It was a copy of the Huckleberry Finn book by Mark Twain. A nice Finnish hardback, in really good condition :smile2: She'd also gotten me a book on smoothies, and then a general cook book. :smile2:

Well done on finishing the abstract and the essay :).

Congratulations on the new books, that's so sweet of your mum :)!

Quick post: finished Finnish spoken communication essays and sent them their way and got an e-mail from prof saying the abstract's just fine. I now only have the maturity exam on Friday :exc:

I was worried about the abstract, I thought the prof might say it's a bunch of bolloksies. But she said it was fine, and that's kind of made me think, whatever kind of crap I write in the maturity exam, as long as it's based on the crap I wrote in my BA thesis, I should be fine :giggle2:

I feel so liberated! :wub: I'm not yet worried or scared or anxious about the maturity exam, I'm just feeling absolutely fantastic about having finished everything else. I think the nerves might set in tomorrow, but that's tomorrow's problem.

I'm meeting a friend soonish, we're going to her place to watch last night's episode of Big Brother. We're big reality TV fans, have been for over a decade and this particular friend's the one with whom I'm always talking about different shows. It's been ages since we've been able to watch BB together, so this should be fun :lol: Especially when we always agree on the different people. We like and dislike the  same people :D

I'm back but I'm dead tired (have had very little of sleep in the past two nights), but I did the maturity exam and I think I did fine and I'm pretty sure I'll pass. The Finnish spoken communication essays were approved and will be graded next week and then I'm just waiting to get the results from the maturity exam. 

I hope I don't jinx it but I think I'm soon going to be a Bachelor of Arts, bloody hell :smile2: 

Also got some new (used) books... Found The Dirt by Mötley Crüe at a Nurmes flea market, for 5e, and it's an English original, will you believe it?! Bloody hell :D 

Have also read two books off TBR pile so that's good. 

I'm going to Helsinki later today to celebrate my friend graduating and I need to take a nap before that, otherwise I'll be wrecked. So very tired. 

Well done!

Coincidentally, my colleague at work has left his lunch time reading book on his desk and it's The Dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band by Tommy Lee and Vince Neil.   :D  Is that the same one as you've found?

Thanks everyone! :smile2: I don't know if it's fully sunk in yet. The idea that I don't have any uni business to do anymore. This is the first Monday in ages that I don't have to think about how I should get going with the uni business. It's such a weird feeling! Trying to take it all in... :D 

Well done with getting so far with the abstract and the essays .. hope you can have a more restful day tomorrow .. perhaps you'll get time to look at the smoothie recipes  Look forward to you trying them out .. I could do with recommendations

I haven't had a second to look at my new books yet :D I haven't even written down the titles of the books I've finished, in my reading log or goodreads. I feel very disorganized at the minute but I'm trying to enjoy it. I'll have plenty of time to sort things out! :smile2: 

I'm so pleased you found an (English) copy of The Dirt! I know you've been wanting it for ages. 

Yep, ever since I left my first copy :giggle2: So happy about finding it!! 

Coincidentally, my colleague at work has left his lunch time reading book on his desk and it's The Dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band by Tommy Lee and Vince Neil.    Is that the same one as you've found?

Yep, that's the one! :D Is your colleague shocked or laughing at the book? :D Might say something about his personality.... :D 

I want to show you which books I took home with me from my trip to hometown :smile2:

These I got from my Mom (she rarely buys me books these days, unless it's Christmas and I've given her a list from which to choose, so I was thrilled when she said she had something of the bookish nature for me! :smile2: ): 

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (I had an English copy of this but it was in small print and didn't like it so I'd given it away. I love this Finnish copy, though, it's beautiful! Need to read the Tom Sawyer book first, me thinks...)

Kotiruoka by Kaisa Isotalo & Raija Kuittinen (A Finnish book on home made food. The cover's gorgeous, and the book's really heavy, and there's loads to learn! Poor Mom, she thinks I'm useless in the kitchen. Which is partly true, but only partly :D )

Smoothiet ja mehut ('Smoothies and Juices. This is a gorgeous book, too.)

post-4458-0-50487600-1433170183_thumb.jpgpost-4458-0-43642600-1433170211_thumb.jpg

Edited by frankie

Then I got two books from the library removed books section, one being a Danish - Finnish - Danish dictionary, and one being a book called Anttu ja minä by Pertti Pakarinen. He's a doctor who used to live on the same street I grew up in, and whose other book I've already talked in my thread, the book containing a story about my Grandpa's dog :lol: Anttu ja minä is about the doc and his new dog called Anttu and I can't wait to read it :smile2: Funny thing is, the doc also lived in Espoo :D He moved here from my hometown. He must've skipped the Joensuu part, but otherwise I'm starting to feel like a stalker :D

post-4458-0-74207200-1433170613_thumb.jpg

And then, as I've already mentioned, I found an English copy of The Dirt by Mötley Crüe! I've been hoping to find a copy since the end of 2011 :blush:

post-4458-0-73702900-1433170637_thumb.jpg

Edited by frankie

#33. Emma and I by Sheila Hocken

From AmazonA tale of the unique bond between a girl and the dog who gave her sight, this story proves that miracles do happen. As a girl, Sheila never let her gradual descent into blindness prevent her from trying to do everything a sighted person could do. Then at 17, unable to see to find her way around the house she grew up in, she found herself dreading her future in an "ever darkening vacuum." But then the remarkable Emma enters her life, and Sheila begins a journey that brings her the independence, love, and happiness she never dreamed possible. Set in the 1960s, this ultimate dog story is a fascinating insight into the life of a young teenage girl and the black Lab who gives her a new lease on life.

Thoughts: I had this book on my wishlist thanks to chaliepud's recommendation!  :flowers2: I'd rather forgotten what it was about, other than a book about a dog and a girl. Had quite forgotten it was a true story, too :blush: But the title's stuck in my mind and I happened to find a free copy at the library's book swap section. You gotta love book swapping :smile2:

I found it really interesting to read about someone who was going legally blind, and it was even more interesting to read about how Sheila got her guide dog Emma. I loved reading about their daily life. I only wanted pictures included, though! :blush: Emma was incredibly smart and intuitive, I sometimes couldn't believe the things she did. She had better sense of direction than me! 

For those who've read the book: 

I didn't know Sheila went to have some kind of surgery and then became able to see again! :o That was a huge 'twist' in the book :D I'm glad the operation was successful. I can't imagine how emotional she must've felt about being able to see things. And to see Emma for the first time :wub: It was really funny when she could finally see when Emma was about to rob the cats' food and she could yell at her to stop before she did, and Emma was like, holy crap, how did you know what I was going to do?!? I was in stitches :D 

A really lovely book :smile2:

4/5

Edited by frankie

#34. A Maiden's Grave by Jeffery Deaver 

From AmazonEight vulnerable girls and their helpless teachers are forced off a school bus and held hostage. The madman who has them at gunpoint has a simple plan: one hostage an hour will die unless the demands are met. Called to the scene is Arthur Potter, the FBI's best hostage negotiator. He has a plan. But so does one of the hostages-a beautiful teacher who's willing to do anything to save the lives of her students. Now, the clock is ticking as a chilling game of cat and mouse begins.

Thoughts: I didn't pack many books with me for my trip to Nurmes, and so when I finished my then current read, I had to go for the books on my bookshelves there. I saw my copy of A Maiden's Grave that my Mom borrowed from me three years ago and which she started to read but never finished, and it's only been gathering dust ever since then. Mom's got enough books to read as it is and so I felt entitled to take back what was mine :giggle2: She can borrow the book from the library if she desperately wants it!

I knew the premise of the story, and I've seen a few clips of the film. I thought I'd be in for a real treat... And I wasn't wrong. I don't think hostage situations are my favorites in novels, I think it's always pretty much the same thing. Demands and negotiations and people getting hurt. Not my thing! But I think Deaver pulled it off really well, I was hooked. Didn't get bored at all. I also became rather attached to one of the main characters... I always hate having finished a book that has great characters. I want to know what happened to them afterwards! 

There was one twist that I saw coming pretty much from where it could have been sussed out, and oh, I thought I was so smart. Okay, so I did get that one thing right, but I should know by now that Deaver isn't a one-trick-pony: he's got his arsenal of surprises, ready to be dished out. 

I really want to watch the movie now! :smile2: 

Oh and I thought it was a bit amusing that I'd just recently read a book about a blind woman, and now I was reading about deaf people. I didn't plan it, and I only realized it half way through the book. Ha! 

4/5

Oh good, I'm glad you liked it - nice to know that I didn't pick a bad one :smile:

I had no idea there was a film version :o

But if it was a bad Jeffery Deaver and you liked it, think how much you'd enjoy one of the good ones :D