The meaning behind your forum names

Virginia

When I joined the site I was a crime drama fan, I enjoyed The Hannibal Films, CSI and Dexter. I chose dex as a user name as I identify with Dexter's feelings for the world around him.

Later after joining I found that a 3 letter, short user name doesn't search well. So I have had to add tags, so I can find my own stuff. Othrewise I have found my un describes me well and have no wish to change.

Edited by dex

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the name SunnyShadows because I think I can be quite contradictory at times. I get quite down sometimes, and I think very deeply about things, but at the same time, I'm a very cheerful person. I also suffer with some social anxiety, but people always say I'm very chatty and confident, and I've even sung karaoke in public. So, I thought a 'Sunny Shadow' described me quite well. :D

Lovely name.

It's lovely learning how people came about their SN/username.

I agree

mine is from thinking about the crucifixion of Christ, mirrored in a near death experience for me. Stiggy comes from 'stigmata' and 'stigma'. Don't tell anyone. :P

here's the full story of why i relate to stigmata

http://incubusview.com/messboard/viewtopic.php?t=31535

Wow interesting story Stiggy. Thank you for sharing!

Mine is just my plain old name. Yawn :P

mine is from thinking about the crucifixion of Christ, mirrored in a near death experience for me. Stiggy comes from 'stigmata' and 'stigma'. Don't tell anyone. :P

here's the full story of why i relate to stigmata

http://incubusview.com/messboard/viewtopic.php?t=31535

Wow, interesting story, Stiggy.

I don't think you can beat Homer tripping on Guatemalan Insanity Peppers.

'twas pretty good, yes.

• 2 weeks later...

When I joined the site I was a crime drama fan, I enjoyed The Hannibal Films, CSI and Dexter. I chose dex as a user name as I identify with Dexter's feelings for the world around him.

Later after joining I found that a 3 letter, short user name doesn't search well. So I have had to add tags, so I can find my own stuff. Othrewise I have found my un describes me well and have no wish to change.

Should we be worried you identify with Dexter's worldview? :o

I love reading these stories!  :D

Mine has a small backstory. When I got to high school there was another freshman with the same first and middle name (Becca Lynn), so I have been called BSchultz for 4 years now. And 19 is my favorite hockey player's number  :smile:

I think the picture explains my choice. ;)  Her name was Luthien, after Tolkien's character. She died far too young. She was the most amazing feline personality.

I'm so sorry for your loss :(. She looks really pretty in the picture :).

Mine has a small backstory. When I got to high school there was another freshman with the same first and middle name (Becca Lynn), so I have been called BSchultz for 4 years now. And 19 is my favorite hockey player's number  :smile:

That's interesting :).

• 2 weeks later...

I did try various things including my own name but it was taken (by someone who has only posted 47 times or something .. since 2005 .. ungrateful swine  :D) and so .. out of sheer desperation .. I took the name from the book I was reading. I was enjoying it and it is more than a bit barmy so it seemed apt. I shortened it though .. to make life easier.

poppyshakespeare.jpg

I always called my eldest son Charlie Pud when he was young as he was rather a pudding, so I thought it would be a good name to use as a username, unfortunately I forgot the 'r' the first time I used it.. but it stuck and I've used it for years all over the place. (He is 15 now!) :D

When you first joined the forum, Chaliepud, I had trouble for ages trying to remember not to include the 'r' in your name. In fact, I'd be willing to bet there are a few posts by me around the place where I did call you Charliepud. :D Curse you for forgetting the 'r'! :P

When you first joined the forum, Chaliepud, I had trouble for ages trying to remember not to include the 'r' in your name. In fact, I'd be willing to bet there are a few posts by me around the place where I did call you Charliepud. :D Curse you for forgetting the 'r'! :P

I now pronounce it 'Chay-lie pud'. Have done since I noticed the missing R. Sorry! :P

Ha ha!!! :D :D

I always called my eldest son Charlie Pud when he was young as he was rather a pudding, so I thought it would be a good name to use as a username, unfortunately I forgot the 'r' the first time I used it.. but it stuck and I've used it for years all over the place. (He is 15 now!) :D

I love it that you forgot the r :D 

Poppyshake: I love the book cover :D 

OMGosh!  I never would have guessed.  I LOVE Clive Barker.  Had the fortune of seeing him 3 times!  :o

Tell me more!

I did try various things including my own name but it was taken (by someone who has only posted 47 times or something .. since 2005 .. ungrateful swine  :D) and so .. out of sheer desperation .. I took the name from the book I was reading. I was enjoying it and it is more than a bit barmy so it seemed apt. I shortened it though .. to make life easier.

poppyshakespeare.jpg

Ah :D!

It confuses me a bit too, the missing 'r'! It's a nice name though :).

Ooh I just realised this is actually a new thread (we had one like it years ago).

IN THAT CASE - my forum name is my actual name. My actual name is the Irish word for Noel, Noelle, December and Christmas. December in Irish is 'mí na Nollag' - the 'month of Christmas', father Christmas is 'Dadaí na Nollag' and Christmas itself is 'An Nollaig'.

Naturally, my name elicited endless taunts from kids growing up, and even as an adult people do a double take and sometimes try not to smile when they hear it because it's so silly. But there you go.

I like having an unusual name, but I wish it wasn't such a silly one.

Ooh I just realised this is actually a new thread (we had one like it years ago).

IN THAT CASE - my forum name is my actual name. My actual name is the Irish word for Noel, Noelle, December and Christmas. December in Irish is 'mí na Nollag' - the 'month of Christmas', father Christmas is 'Dadaí na Nollag' and Christmas itself is 'An Nollaig'.

Naturally, my name elicited endless taunts from kids growing up, and even as an adult people do a double take and sometimes try not to smile when they hear it because it's so silly. But there you go.

I like having an unusual name, but I wish it wasn't such a silly one.

I didn't know any of this, I can see that the taunting must have been difficult :(. Personally, since I'm not Irish, your name just reminds me of you and nothing else.

I didn't know any of this, I can see that the taunting must have been difficult :(. Personally, since I'm not Irish, your name just reminds me of you and nothing else.

That's the one upside to my name - only the people of one small country know what it means. Unfortunately, it's where I live XD

I knew that your name meant Christmas, Noll, but for some reason I never considered it an unusual name. I guess I just thought it must be a 'typical' name in Ireland. I think it's an awesome name, and it's a shame you copped flak for it.

Oh god no, its a rare name even here. A lot of people don't know it is a name, they just assume I was born at Christmas haha. (I wasn't, I was christened on Christmas eve, apparently.)

My boyfriend Michael is born on Christmas (25 December), he doesn't like it to be honest. As a child he's never had a proper birthday compared to those born on 'non-holidays', he's always had to share his birthday with Christmas presents and Christmas dinner. Nowadays, since in the Netherlands we have two Christmas days, we celebrate one day as his birthday and the other as Christmas. This year on his birthday, we still spent a lot of time preparing for Christmas dinner though, but I think he had fun :).

P.S. Michael doesn't like his name, apparently his parents looked at the newspaper and it was the first name they found. He also doesn't like his last name because it reminds him of his dad (he didn't like his dad and his dad never treated him nicely). His online alias is Mig Eater, so sometimes I just call him Mig instead. He doesn't mind too much either way what I call him but I know he's not a big fan of his name.

[ / rambling ]

My boyfriend Michael is born on Christmas (25 December), he doesn't like it to be honest. As a child he's never had a proper birthday compared to those born on 'non-holidays', he's always had to share his birthday with Christmas presents and Christmas dinner. Nowadays, since in the Netherlands we have two Christmas days, we celebrate one day as his birthday and the other as Christmas. This year on his birthday, we still spent a lot of time preparing for Christmas dinner though, but I think he had fun :).

P.S. Michael doesn't like his name, apparently his parents looked at the newspaper and it was the first name they found. He also doesn't like his last name because it reminds him of his dad (he didn't like his dad and his dad never treated him nicely). His online alias is Mig Eater, so sometimes I just call him Mig instead. He doesn't mind too much either way what I call him but I know he's not a big fan of his name.

[ / rambling ]

Cute story :smile:

OMGosh!  I never would have guessed.  I LOVE Clive Barker.  Had the fortune of seeing him 3 times!  :o

Did you? I am so jealous Anna! :)