New Members - Questions, Problems?

Michelle

• 2 years later...

To reply to a reply, I think you want to quote someone, so in the bottom right of the post, you should see a button called Quote.  This will put a quote of the post you want to reply to in the Reply to this topic field at the bottom of the thread where you would normally post a reply.

So for example, if I click on the Quote button in your post above, the following appears in the Reply to this topic field:

How do i reply to a reply on a post?
Is it possible to download a profile picture from my computer instead of finding a picture from google images?

It should be possible to add your own photo to your profile.  Click on your username in the top right of the menu bar at the top of the screen, then click on My Profile.  When your profile page appears, click on the Edit My Profile button.  On the My Settings page, click on the Change My Photo button, and you should see three options.  Under the Use A Custom Photo section, in the Upload from file field, click on Choose File and browse to the location of the photo you want to upload. 

You might like to have a look at the Rules, Guidelines and FAQ section which may answer some other questions you have. :)

To reply to a reply, I think you want to quote someone, so in the bottom right of the post, you should see a button called Quote.  This will put a quote of the post you want to reply to in the Reply to this topic field at the bottom of the thread where you would normally post a reply.

So for example, if I click on the Quote button in your post above, the following appears in the Reply to this topic field:

It should be possible to add your own photo to your profile.  Click on your username in the top right of the menu bar at the top of the screen, then click on My Profile.  When your profile page appears, click on the Edit My Profile button.  On the My Settings page, click on the Change My Photo button, and you should see three options.  Under the Use A Custom Photo section, in the Upload from file field, click on Choose File and browse to the location of the photo you want to upload. 

You might like to have a look at the Rules, Guidelines and FAQ section which may answer some other questions you have. :)

Okay, thanks. Nothing happens when i click on choose file - must not be working.  :smile:

Unfortunately, we're still not sure whether it's related to the number of posts you've made, but the function is working for others, so this may be the case.  The only thing I can suggest is waiting until you have a few more posts on the board, and then try again.  :)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...
30 minutes ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I'd like to know why it is the members have their own personal book blogs and don't just post a review of what they have read on the main forum (I hope that's not insulting, I genuinely want to know)?

Honestly Luna, I have no idea. There is no official reason. It’s been that way since I joined, many years ago. I just assumed it’s what people preferred and joined in with a book blog. I might send the forum’s original creator an email and see if she knows more about why it changed! 

3 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I'd like to know why it is the members have their own personal book blogs and don't just post a review of what they have read on the main forum (I hope that's not insulting, I genuinely want to know)?

2 hours ago, Hayley said:

Honestly Luna, I have no idea. There is no official reason. It’s been that way since I joined, many years ago. I just assumed it’s what people preferred and joined in with a book blog. I might send the forum’s original creator an email and see if she knows more about why it changed! 

I'd just put it down to how the forum has developed over time.

When I first started posting here (over a decade ago now) people used to start threads for individual books more often, or threads for popular authors or series, but that has largely dropped off over the years as people have left and the remining posters have focused more on their own reading blogs.

1 minute ago, Raven said:

When I first started posting here (over a decade ago now) people used to start threads for individual books more often, or threads for popular authors or series, but that has largely dropped off over the years as people have left and the remining posters have focused more on their own reading blogs.

Thank you Raven! I just came back to say that I did send Michelle a message and she can't really remember. She thinks it might be from when she was developing the BCF reviews blog and trying to direct people there specifically, but she also thinks that people just really liked the individual blogs in the end!

3 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I'd like to know why it is the members have their own personal book blogs and don't just post a review of what they have read on the main forum

If it's something you think would be good for this forum though I'd appreciate it if we could talk about it in the new 2021 updates thread :) 2021 Updates and Improvements - Forum Updates - Book Club Forum

I tend to click 'unread content' but if I don't see any books I've read, want to read, or might be interested in etc, I move on. 

Which is a shame. I'm probably missing interesting stuff. 

13 hours ago, Hux said:

I tend to click 'unread content' but if I don't see any books I've read, want to read, or might be interested in etc, I move on. 

Which is a shame. I'm probably missing interesting stuff. 

I do that too.

On 03/05/2021 at 1:55 PM, lunababymoonchild said:

Simply for me, I don’t want to feel as if I’m back to school, writing an essay about the book I’ve just read. There are so many book reviews online/newspapers et al, I think that it’s easy to find other peoples reviews, so I just give a very short opinion on whether I enjoyed/disliked the book.

1 hour ago, Marie H said:

Simply for me, I don’t want to feel as if I’m back to school, writing an essay about the book I’ve just read. There are so many book reviews online/newspapers et al, I think that it’s easy to find other peoples reviews, so I just give a very short opinion on whether I enjoyed/disliked the book.

I am spectacularly awful at writing reviews but have been told that practice makes perfect. I never finish a book that I don't like so assume that my reviews are boring and lacklustre especially, as you say, in the face of other's reviews. I find it very useful, however, to read the thoughts of someone I can trust on books as opposed to the usual 'this is the best book evah' reviews that can be paid for.

Thank you for your answer, that does help. 

Edited by lunababymoonchild

14 hours ago, Marie H said:

There are so many book reviews online/newspapers et al, I think that it’s easy to find other peoples reviews,

Indeed there are - but so many of them are spam reviews, posted by people with hardly disinterested motives

Reading a review of their latest read, and sharing their delight (or otherwise), from someone whose opinions you have learned to respect over time is the joy (and to my mind the primary purpose) of a book group.

Possibly the word 'review' is a bit scary. It seems to put a lot of people off posting in a more public space.

Perhaps that is why they have become fewer over time on BGO, and why members of BCF are more comfortable with the blog format?

6 hours ago, megustaleer said:

Possibly the word 'review' is a bit scary. It seems to put a lot of people off posting in a more public space.

Perhaps that is why they have become fewer over time on BGO, and why members of BCF are more comfortable with the blog format?

I have definitely fallen into that group with regards to 'reviews'. I always felt like I don't write well enough to claim my thoughts on a book constitute a review. I suspect that comes from the fact that in my head book reviews are linked with school assignments and require 'literary' knowledge. Over time I became comfortable with the fact that my thoughts on books that I post are not scrutinised in that way.

19 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I am spectacularly awful at writing reviews but have been told that practice makes perfect. I never finish a book that I don't like so assume that my reviews are boring and lacklustre especially, as you say, in the face of other's reviews.  

Yes, I did make reviews, when I joined the Forum, but I realised that they were rather dull, compared to other members ☺️. It’s not my forte, and I was relieved not to try again 🙂

4 hours ago, Marie H said:

Yes, I did make reviews, when I joined the Forum, but I realised that they were rather dull, compared to other members ☺️. It’s not my forte, and I was relieved not to try again 🙂

That I don't understand.  

I would want to know what you thought of a book we'd both read,  however haltingly expressed, as I couldn't have a 'conversation' with you about the book if you didn't post your thoughts. 

From them, over time, I would find out if we had the same tastes, and whether or not I should read a book you loved - or of I should avoid it.

My reading tastes have expanded over the years by just that method. I might still be reading the same light mysteries I read in my twenties if my horizons hadn't been expanded by other readers willing to share their book experiences.

14 hours ago, megustaleer said:

That I don't understand.  

I would want to know what you thought of a book we'd both read,  however haltingly expressed, as I couldn't have a 'conversation' with you about the book if you didn't post your thoughts. 

10 years ago I was in involved and engaged with book club and reviewing for the BCF, but I found that both of them were tiring and (as the book club at my local library especially) disheartening. Found that I’m not that into people, and their cliquey ways.

I’m must happier just reading book that I want to read, plus reading over people’s reviews at the BCF, and occasionally mention book that I have recently read and particularly enjoyed. I am happy with that at this Forum, and the community within it. 

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Goose said:

Hi there! How do I go about editing my posts? I cant seem to find an edit option on any of them. Thanks!

5 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

If you look at the bottom of the post the word in the middle is edit, press that and you can edit

One of the other mods should be able to confirm this, but I don't think new members can edit posts until they have made 10(?) which Goose has now done, so I would expect they can see the edit option now.

8 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

If you look at the bottom of the post the word in the middle is edit, press that and you can edit

3 hours ago, Raven said:

One of the other mods should be able to confirm this, but I don't think new members can edit posts until they have made 10(?) which Goose has now done, so I would expect they can see the edit option now.

That makes sense as right after I posted this I was then able to see the edit button! Felt a bit stupid haha but I feel better knowing that it wasn't actually there and it wasn't just me being dim!! Thank you 😊😊