2007 - 49
2008 - 85
2009 - 47
2010 - 43
2011 - 61
2012 - 61
2013 - 69

1. The Stuff of Nightmares by Malorie Blackman
2. The Madness Underneath by Maureen Johnson (audio)
3. The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer
4. The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
5. Unrest by Michelle Harrison
6. Starship Troopers by Robert A Heinlein
7. Earth Unaware by Orson Scott Card and Aaron Johnston
8. Earth Afire by Orson Scott Card and Aaron Johnston
9. Replay by Ken Grimwood
10. The Never List by Koethi Zan
11. Unremembered by Jessica Brody (re-read)
12. The Girl With All The Gifts by M.R. Carey (audio)
13. Clive Barker's A-Z of Horror
14. Shattered by Teri Terry
15. Glaze by Kim Curran
16. The Machine by James Smythe
17. The Boy in the Smoke by Maureen Johnson
18. New Earth by Ben Bova (audio)
19. Above by Isla Moreley
20. Cuckoo Song by Frances Hardinge
21. The Voices by F.R. Tallis
22. Reckoning by Kerry Wilkinson
23. 14 by Peter Clines (audio)
24. Ex-Heroes by Peter Clines (audio)
25. Before You Die by Samantha Hayes
26. Ex-Patriots by Peter Clines (audio)
27. The Reason I Jump by Naoki Higashida
28. We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
29. Ex-Communication by Peter Clines (audio)
30. The World is Dead edited by Kim Paffenroth
31. Cruel Summer by James Dawson
32. Ex-Purgatory by Peter Clines (audio)
33. Night School by Richard Wiseman (audio)
34. Say Her Name by James Dawson
35. A Kiss in the Dark by Cat Clarke
36. 2001 by Arthur C Clarke (audio)
37. The Sunrise by Victoria Hislop
38. The Bone Dragon by Alexia Casale
39. The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter (audio)
40. Terra by Mitch Benn (audio)
41. Earth Girl by Janet Edwards
42. The Giver by Lois Lowry
43. Terra's World by Mitch Benn (audio)
44. Red Rising by Pierce Brown
45. The 100 by Kass Morgan
46. Extinction Game by Gary Gibson
47. The 100 Day 21 by Kass Morgan
48. The Reviver by Seth Patrick
49. No One Gets Out Alive by Adam Nevill
50. Florence and Giles by John Harding
51. Venus by Ben Bova (audio)
52. Coping with Headaches and Migraines by Alison Frith
53. My Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga
54. Endgame: The Calling by James Frey
55. Ghosts of Heaven by Marcus Sedgewick
56. Mr Mercedes by Stephen King (audio)
57. Angelfall by Susan Ee
58. World After by Susan Ee
59. Revival by Stephen King
60. The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo
61. The Walking Dead - Descent by Jay Bonansinga
62. Bird Box by Josh Malerman (audio)

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a good start - I've enjoyed Holly Black's other books, but Tithe isn't doing it for me so far. I also walked into WHSmiths, and 3 books made me buy them, one for Amy's birthday and two for me.. Undead by Kirsty McKay and The Stuff of Nightmares by Malorie Blackman... and now I don't know which to read!

Yep, all YA, but this is my least favourite time of the year, so I need light reading. :)

Have just finished my first book of the year, The Stuff of Nightmares by Malorie Blackman. When Kyle is in a train crash, he finds himself drawn into the nightmares of fellow passengers, some who are strangers, some his friends. This allows for a collection of short stories - these are varied, but most are about death, and some are a little disturbing. This is definitely not for younger readers, it's not explicit as such, but there are some disturbing scenes. 

The writing is good, and it's a gripping, fast paced book, and I'm going to put a couple more of hers on my wish list.

Malorie Blackman is one of those authors who hovers around in my wish list, but I've never got round to reading yet.  As Children's Laureate, I've seen a lot more of her in the media over the last year, and it's interesting to read your review, Michelle.  I think Noughts and Crosses is probably where I'd start, but I'll be keeping an eye out for any other reviews of her books if you read any. :)

I read Noughts and Crosses a few years ago, and I remember it being good but a bit 'obvious', I would have preferred the racial angle to be more subtle. I did, however, put in Beth's cupboard, even though she was younger and not reading much, so I must have felt it an important YA book.

I've just tried a bit more of Tithe whilst in the bath, and nope, it's not quite working for me. It's a shame, because I liked the other books I read of hers. I still have my eye on Doll Bones though.

I have ordered two books from amazon today, I'm blaming it on 'Sunday, back to work and school routine tomorrow, blues'!  :giggle:Longbourn by Jo Baker and Boys Don't Cry by Malorie Blackman (although this one is partly for Beth, as I'm hoping it'll appeal to her too).

Someone needs to point me away from the book stores, and towards my TBR pile!  :lurker:

Michelle

I agree about staying away from the bookstores . I tried so hard NOT to purchase any books this year, but how many days in and I have already broken the rule ?

I HAVE made myself a new deal : No more using your charge card on Amazon. I took it off as my means of payment ,so now if I want a book bad enough, I have to get in the car and drive to the store to buy a gift card to enter as payment. At least that way , I'm not getting a huge bill each month. I buy the gift card and the books are paid off .

* Problem being, the closest place to buy a gift card is a 2 minute roll down the hill in my car .  This system isn't working too well either .  I still buy books when I have a truckload to read . There's gotta be a solution ... I'm thinking on it .

I'd really like to do the same Julie, but I find it very difficult to find any real shops that sell the gift cards.  The only shop relatively close to me that I know that used to sell them was Clinton Cards but even they don't seem to have them when I go in any more.  I guess I'll just have to keep on using my willpower instead! :D

First audio book finished, The Madness Underneath by Maureen Johnson. This is the follow up to The Name of the Star, which I enjoyed last year. Unfortunately it started well, but near the end the main character did something which seemed out of place.. it was a real huh? moment, which broke my enjoyment. Despite that, I may find myself picking up the next one if it gets written (it feels as if it might, from the ending.)