Michelle's Books - 2008

Michelle

Basic list will be kept updated on my blog.. http://mjmoore.wordpress.com/2008-books/

Well, I've started the year with Out, and so far I'm really not sure what to make of it. It's only just holding me, and I think part of the problem is that I find their situation so ridiculous...

murdering an abusive husband I get, but not cutting the body up into pieces.. I can't see how anyone would do that!

Anyway, I'm not sure if I'll continue. I may do, purely because nothing else is calling out to me right now! :friends0:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest fireball

Michelle, with some writers, it's cook slowly, their (male/female) characters nine times out of ten are unlikable, never mind the bloke ( who in most cases IS the baddie, sometimes not), I'd stop reading it for a time, set it aside, give your poor head a treat and really get into somethin' you've ****** well dyin' to get in to, and again, then, when, you feel up to it, bang away with 'Out'. I get the impression he/she's what I call an awkward writer, and a moody kind at that, in other words, he makes depression an art form.!:friends0:

Do have a great new year and stay with good books, and if you must, ONLY try 'Out', if your in the mood, choose it wisely .! :irked::D

• 2 weeks later...

That's odd, I thought I'd written something else in this thread. Oh well..

Anyway, I finished the vampire chick lit one.. the name escapes me right now.. not outstanding, but just what I needed! lol

I'm just over half way through John by Cynthia Lennon, which is a very interesting insight. Today I also started Neil Gaiman's Smoke And Mirrors, which I'm loving! :)

I'm reading, but because they are so different, I can pick up whichever one I feel in the mood for. :welcome: We are indeed now in the boat in Life of Pi, and I am enjoying it - but I'm certainly not looking for any deep meanings or such, just enjoying the story.

I've finished John, and I did find it very interesting.. I enjoyed the insights into the Beatle's early days, and how they all changed. The way Cynthia paints the break up, divorce etc is rather damning of John and Yoko - I know that there are two sides to it, but it does come across as very open and honest. It's a shame we will never hear John's account of it all.

Life of Pi is just plodding along nicely.. it's the book I tend to read in bed, and so in only small pieces. I'm enjoying his 'adventures' in the boat, and reading it simply as that.. but it is a little graphic in places!

Smoke and Mirrors has become my 'bath book', because I read one short story each time. :006:

Today I picked up The Story Giant, by Brian Patten, and it has a promising start. I just went to find reviews, and found the ending in one of them.. why do people have to do that!?! :welcome:

• 1 month later...

I forgot to add Notes From An Exhibition by Patrick Gale, which I sat up to finish last night.. this was quite a haunting description of family dynamics, and the way one person's bipolar disorder affected them all.

So, actually 9 books so far, all pretty good, and some new authors discovered.. a good start! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

wow, I've been bad with this thread! Let me see..

Any Way You Want Me by Lucy Diamond - I enjoyed it, even though it has sparked some debate! ;)

The Infinite Wisdom of Harriet Rose by Diana Janney - I'm still not sure what my overall feelings about this one are!

The Fiction Class by Susan Breen - I just wasn't enjoying this one, so gave up! Other reviews are quite good though, so maybe I missed something?

The Pirate’s Daughter by Margaret Cezair-Thompson - Despite a few initial doubts, I really enjoyed this one. I think it would make a great holiday book, will review properly later.

I now have 2 in progress:

Finding Margo by Susanne O’Leary

The Stepmother by Carrie Adams

• 2 weeks later...