Anna's Books for 2014

Anna Begins

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, I need to transfer my short list, as it is buried on page 11 and I can't access it very easily.

12 Years a Slave by Soloman Northup

Salt by Colin F. Barnes (own it)

All Rivers Run to the Sea- Memoirs by Ellie Wiesel

World Without End by Ken Follett (Own it)

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

something by Clive Barker

Take Me With You- Catherine Ryan Hyde

The Boy From Reactor 4- Orest Stelmach

Burnt Tongues An Anthology of Transgressive  stories Edited by Chuck Palahniuk

Celestine Prophesy by James RedField

Choke by Chuck Palahniuk

Close Your Eyes, Hold Hands by Chris Bohjalian

Cuckoo’s Calling by Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling)

A Time to Kill by John Grisham

She’s Come Undone by Wally Lamb

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Second Hand Heart by Catherine Ryan Hyde

ADDED 9/15/14

I, Claudius by Robert Graves (Own it)

Wool by Hugh Howey

Then, I am doing

bookadayuk

September 21st- A recommendation for a non reader

And for this one, whether male or female, I nominate Don't Let Me Go by Catherine Ryan Hyde.  This book is simply amazing in it's scope and range of emotions.  On the short list for my favorite book of the year.

Edited by Anna Begins

Then, I am doing

bookadayuk

September 21st- A recommendation for a non reader

And for this one, whether male or female, I nominate Don't Let Me Go by Catherine Ryan Hyde.  This book is simply amazing in it's scope and range of emotions.  On the short list for my favorite book of the year.

I'd have to second this recommendation, it's a wonderful book :).

personal.jpg

Title: Personal (Jack Reacher #19)

Author: Lee Child

Genre: Fiction, Thriller

Pages: 369

Book #59 for 2014

I think a lot of people know that I have struggled with the Lee Child/ Jim Grant business.  So let me just say, I am mostly over that now. 

My synopsis:

In his 19th novel (there are Kindle shorts too), Lee Child again hits a home run with lead character Jack Reacher.  This time, a military sniper Reacher once put in jail is on the loose.  Is the newly released sniper behind the assassination attempt against the French President?  Jack Reacher is on the case and once he is, you know your goose is cooked.

My thoughts:

Lots of action in this one, Child does not disappoint.  In fact, after checking some of his claims about snipers and guns, they were right on.  Child does his homework and it shows.  The book flies by in a blinding pace, one you do not want to put down, but must sometimes, just to do necessary things such as refill a cup of coffee :smile:

In relation to his others, and compared to my other 5/5 books of the year, I have a hard time rating this one (what else is new).  But I would highly recommend it and was happy to see Lee Child mentioned in bookadayuk as a book for someone who doesn't read.  I definitely give Child props for Personal and now the whole cannon (which do stand alone, so if you want to read this one, it won't matter).  He is definitely a master in his craft with Reacher.  And yes, I still have my Reacher crush.

Edited by Anna Begins

I'm glad you enjoyed this book :). I didn't know there were Kindle shorts too, any you particularly recommend to me?

I haven't read the shorts, yet.  I hear they are hit and miss, you can't be too sure of them. Which is what I have found in Kindle shorts in general.  You never know what you're going to get.  I think your BF would like Personal though.  ;) And it takes place in London- bonus!

I haven't read the shorts, yet.  I hear they are hit and miss, you can't be too sure of them. Which is what I have found in Kindle shorts in general.  You never know what you're going to get.  I think your BF would like Personal though.  ;) And it takes place in London- bonus!

He's not really much of a reader to be honest. He doesn't often read even his own books, he prefers to watch a film or TV series instead. But thanks though :).

Yep, it's true :P. But in a way I'm glad he's not as big a reader as me as I might get a little bit competitive otherwise, perhaps :lol:, overflowing in recommendations from him as well as from BCF etc. He always likes to hear about the books I read though :), and on occasion he does read one of his reference books, information books or manga books. I'm just happy I get to read his books too and he is interested in books but not as much as he likes watching a film or TV show for example.

I'm the big reader in my family. My parents do like to read but only read in the holidays or sometimes in the weekends (they like a variety of books, mainly contemporary fiction, thrillers, biographies, information books, or in the case of my mum a chick-lit book). My sister reads quite a bit (sometimes I talk with her about books), she mainly reads fantasy. My brother likes some books but he's usually busy with other things so I don't think he reads that much really (he likes some fantasy, thrillers and certain YA books though). His girlfriend reads more (YA and thrillers mainly), my sister's boyfriend doesn't read at all (I don't talk with him that much, we don't have a lot in common I feel).

Sorry if this was very rambly!

I think most of us on this forum are the big reader in their families, or at least one of the 'bigger' ones (if that's the correct way of saying it).

Sorry if this was very rambly!

I think most of us on this forum are the big reader in their families, or at least one of the 'bigger' ones (if that's the correct way of saying it).

Not rambly at all!  I think the BCF members are the big readers in their families too (that might make a good thread, I might do that), people on here read like mad!  Except for my dad, I only talk to my mom about my books and she cares :smile: My dad doesn't really "get" all the different types of books I read, he only reads Thrillers, all detective ones!  It's kind of annoying because some of them he's been reading for years, Like John Standford, and he's on like, book 24.  :o And I just can't read those types of books (other than Reacher, but he isn't a detective).

Hope you enjoy Oryx and Crake, Anna. :) I read it at university and quite enjoyed it, and have the other two in the series ready to read.

Depending on the ending, I will definitely read the next two after this one, I like reading trilogies that way.  Which would take me through mid October lol  I'm really liking it so far though and I'm at 70%.

Edited by Anna Begins

oryx.jpg

Tittle: Oryx and Crake

Author: Margaret Atwood

Age range: Adult, could be YA

Genre: post-apocalyptic, dystopian

Pages: 436

Book #60 for 2014

Edited Amazon synopsis:

Snowman, known as Jimmy before mankind was overwhelmed by a plague, is struggling to survive in a world where he may be the last human, and mourning the loss of his best friend, Crake, and the beautiful and elusive Oryx whom they both loved.

My thoughts:

Oryx and Crake are two of three characters in this book, if you are mystified by the title, as has everyone I’ve told about this book.  Which has been few.  Because it is a hard book to explain.  Atwood defies all explanation in this, the first the of her MaddAddam post- apocalyptic trilogy.   Snowman/ Jimmy is not the best protagonist, but I guess they can’t all be smooth.  I can’t give a proper synopsis or any more feelings on this book without spoiling it.  If you are into weird dystopian novels that are a little on the dark side, Oryx and Crake is for you.  Once again, I am still struggling with Atwood, but I can see the light now.

3.5/5 

I'm glad you enjoyed this book though it wasn't as good for you as some other books you read this year. Well done for reading it :).

Thanks!  I think I'm going to take on the whole trilogy...they are strange books though.  Should finish by the 3rd ;)

four.jpg

Title: Four series, Four: The Initiate, Four: The Transfer, Four: The Son and Four: The Traitor

Author: Veronica Roth

Genre: Dystopian

Pages: Short novels approximately 75 pages long.  Page total: 304

Book # 61, 62, 63, 64 for 2014

Well, I read this for the read a thon with Athena and I have to say, it took up my whole read a thon hours.  :giggle2:   It wasn’t my most successful read a thon, but it was perhaps, one of the most enjoyable.  :smile:   I loved this collection of short stories, sort of a prequel to the Divergent trilogy, but I would not recommend these books to start, as the events in them make sense only if you’ve read the trilogy.  However, if I were to re- read the trilogy again, I would read them first.  A hindsight is 20/20 kind of thing.  I remember the Diverent trio flying by.  And this one did too.  I spent 2 hours on the book and got to 62% on the first day (Friday), spent an hour the second day and got to 78% and then finished up today, the third day with 45 minutes.  It was a good read- well, worth reading.  So yummy in fact, I could have easily read this book in one day, but I wanted to space it out.

Recommended to Divergent fans.  Not for first time Divergent readers.

Edited by Anna Begins

flood.jpg

Title: Year of the Flood (book #2 in MaddAddam Trilogy)

Genre:  Post-Apocalyptic, speculative fiction

Pages: 518

book # 65 for 2014

I’m just going to free write my thoughts on Year of the Flood, as I don’t want to give anything away and I am still processing it.  I feel I must review it right now though.  This is perhaps, along with its predecessor, Oryx and Crake, one of the strangest books I have read.  It’s hard to say exactly what it is about, without spoiling it.  I will let Amazon handle it:

Set in the visionary future of Atwood’s acclaimed Oryx and Crake, The Year of the Flood is at once a moving tale of lasting friendship and a landmark work of speculative fiction. In this second book of the MaddAddam trilogy, the long-feared waterless flood has occurred, altering Earth as we know it and obliterating most human life. Among the survivors are Ren, a young trapeze dancer locked inside the high-end sex club Scales and Tails, and Toby, who is barricaded inside a luxurious spa.

My thoughts:

Atwood is disturbing in the way she tells a story.  She has a chillingly dark way of weaving a tale, this one, woven together with Oryx and Crake in a very edgy way- she tells it just on the edge of telling it.  The “big reveal” in this book creeps up so slowly and then hits hard like an Ah-ha moment.  But it takes a long time.  Such a long time in fact, I had to make a set determination to finish this book around 35% in.  Once I got “over the hump” though, so to speak, it got much easier and much more enjoyable.  The last 25% reads fast and almost makes up for the first 35%.  Again, like with Oryx and Crake, I think this would benefit immensely from a re-read and I might just do the whole trilogy again next year.   But before I make that decision, I must finish it first!  Next up will surely be MaddAddam, the final and the namesake of the Trilogy.

Added: Wiki states Speculative Fiction was began under writing by Robert  Heinlein, who coined it in 1947 in an editorial essay… interesting.

Edited by Anna Begins

Congratulations on finishing this book! Nice review, I'm glad you enjoyed the book in the end :).

Thanks!!  I don't know if I want to rate my books any longer.  I'm going through a problem where when I think about them after I have read them, they are either better or worse than the rating.  But I kinda like to know a number on how I liked it when I read it.  Hm.  I don't know.  I'm part way over keeping it on a 5/5 system or just doing a recommended/ not recommended thing,

Edited by Anna Begins

Thanks!!  I don't know if I want to rate my books any longer.  I'm going through a problem where when I think about them after I have read them, they are either better or worse than the rating.  But I kinda like to know a number on how I liked it when I read it.  Hm.  I don't know.  I'm part way over keeping it on a 5/5 system or just doing a recommended/ not recommended thing,

Well it's up to you, you should do what works for you and what you find easiest to use :). I use my 1-10 system in terms of how much I enjoyed the book. You could also do the recommended / not recommended thing. Personally I think the review is very important too, a number is just a number but the review explains the why and how.

Yeah I'm currently having this debate with myself. I think I also need to be less afraid to give half marks - particularly at 2.5 and 4.5 - or create the sixth category people like Janet and Willoyd use for books which really stay with me for a long time.

I still sometimes think about A Thousand Splendid Suns for example, loved that book.

oryx.jpg

Tittle: Oryx and Crake

Age range: Adult, could be YA

Genre: post-apocalyptic, dystopian

Pages: 436

Book #60 for 2014

Edited Amazon synopsis:

Snowman, known as Jimmy before mankind was overwhelmed by a plague, is struggling to survive in a world where he may be the last human, and mourning the loss of his best friend, Crake, and the beautiful and elusive Oryx whom they both loved.

My thoughts:

Oryx and Crake are two of three characters in this book, if you are mystified by the title, as has everyone I’ve told about this book.  Which has been few.  Because it is a hard book to explain.  Atwood defies all explanation in this, the first the of her MaddAddam post- apocalyptic trilogy.   Snowman/ Jimmy is not the best protagonist, but I guess they can’t all be smooth.  I can’t give a proper synopsis or any more feelings on this book without spoiling it.  If you are into weird dystopian novels that are a little on the dark side, Oryx and Crake is for you.  Once again, I am still struggling with Atwood, but I can see the light now.

3.5/5 

This has been on my tbr shelf for AGES.  I do like dystopian fiction, and The Handmaid's Tale, by Atwood, is one of my favourite books, so I am determined to read this soon.  Thanks for the review :)