How many pages should I read per day?

This is my first post and I want to know people's opinions please... I recently just got into reading and what I am finding is that I can only read like 30 pages or something before having to stop, why is this?

I do work long hours at work in a tiring job and I normally go in the bath then read before going to sleep and I love reading and just want to be able to read more, I don't want to miss any of the book out but this book has roughly 400 pages and it just seems to be taking forever to finish.  :blink:

Any tips?

Thank you.

Read as much as you feel like reading, you will find the rate you read at changes often. For example I can read 300-350 pages a day some day but others I can barley manage 20 or so. This is all part of the ebb and flow of reading and life in general. Like you, I also read in small bursts, I will read for a while and then go an do something else and then come back to it. I find reading in extended stints fatiguing not only mentally but also for my eyes.

When I have started to reading in english (it's not my mother tongue) I could read only 20 or 30 pages a day. Now I can read more pages a day, and, for me, it's just a training. Slowly you could read more pages, and you'll not feel the "tiredness".

Another question to explain is: Are these books interesting, for you?

Maybe, you must just find the genre that real interesting you. the right book that you'll read very quickly!

I don't think it matters that you only read 30 or so pages at a time, but you say you read that "before having to stop" - why do you think you have to stop?  Are your eyes tired, or you yourself are tired?  Or is it because you feel that you can't take in any more of that story?  Is it just this one book, or do you find the same with any book?  Have you thought about trying something else, perhaps a biography or a non-fiction book to read alongside the fiction, so that after 30 pages of your fiction book, you could switch to something else?

Don't worry, if you enjoy reading, it really doesn't matter how much you read! :smile2:

It's not the book, I only buy books that interest me (huge history fan and crime fan!) and I think it's more to do with general tiredness like when I stop I go to sleep cause I've been to work and in the bath... English is not my native tongue neither, I'm Polish but I do speak good English and the language is not a problem for me. 

I only would buy books that interest me... I like non-fiction books only as well.

Do you think it is best that I only read one book at a time? I have preferred this so I don't lose track or touch with the other book(s).

I work 8 hours but the job I do its mostly over time on every shift so I'm doing 9 or 10 hour shifts and so I am so tired and because I work shift patterns as well I can't like do a whole day of relaxing on a Sunday because I have to sort my sleeping pattern out.

Does anyone else find their work interferes with their hobby of reading?

Thanks people. 

I can't read when I'm tired as I just end up falling asleep, regardless of how good the book is. Maybe it's the irregular work patterns that is causing it. My work day is quite standard, but sometimes I still find I am too tired to do any decent reading.

It's very annoying for me - I really want to finish this book and I don't ever have the time or energy to do so. 

I thought it was only me who has this problem.

No it's not!  I have a 40 minute commute on the train, and I find myself regularly nodding off on the way home whilst trying to read a book.  It doesn't happen with magazines.  Equally so when I read in the evenings after work.  However, this morning, I was able to sit and read 100 pages or so before breakfast, so it's all about time of day, tiredness etc.  I do find though that, however much I enjoy non-fiction (history is my favourite too!), I tend to drop off more easily than when reading fiction.

No it's not!  I have a 40 minute commute on the train, and I find myself regularly nodding off on the way home whilst trying to read a book.  It doesn't happen with magazines.  Equally so when I read in the evenings after work.  However, this morning, I was able to sit and read 100 pages or so before breakfast, so it's all about time of day, tiredness etc.  I do find though that, however much I enjoy non-fiction (history is my favourite too!), I tend to drop off more easily than when reading fiction.

I just find anything I try and do after work I am so tired to do, I often fall asleep watching TV when trying to watch a program I really enjoy watching, my friend comes around sometimes on a Friday if I've been working on lates and I often fall asleep. I don't mind fiction but more into non-fiction history books.

I think you shouldn't worry about it. It may be frustrating to not be getting through a book quickly (wanting to know more of the story, etc.) but if you're enjoying the book, take all the time in the world. Savour it, digest it, enjoy it - even if this is just in small doses. Reading should never feel like a chore - read the thirty pages or so each time and you'll get through it sooner than you think.

That's just my two cents though..

I most often only read before bedtime. And I read in my comfortable bed. Sometimes I can read up to about 100 pages, but not very often. 20-30 pages is when I manage most times. 

Eyes do tend to get tired from reading for a lot of people. The body relaxes when you are reading in a comfortable chair or bed. Same reason why lots of people get tired while watching TV while on a comfortable sofa. 

So I would recommend that you read about 20 pages, and then get up and drink water or something, and then read a little more. Then you'll relax your eyes while the body has to do some work. 

It never works to force yourself to keep on reading once you get tired. You'll only get more tired and forget what you are reading and end up having to re-read it. Small breaks is my best advice. Especially if you do something like dance around to a great song or something that will boost your energy level.

I also don't think you should worry too much, however I do understand it can be frustrating that you can't read as much as you'd like. Due to my condition I can't ie. watch as much TV as I'd like and sometimes I find this quite frustrating. I don't know how it is for you and your reading, but as others have suggested, little breaks may help. Are you getting enough sleep per night?

I don't get enough really, I get roughly around 7-8 hours but if I had my way I would sleep about 11-12 hours haha.  :bye2:

I read 40 pages last night, I think I will just try and read 1 or 2 chapters at the least because that way it will go faster than I think, I think it's the more of wanting this book to be finished, the local library give you a month and I like to hope I can read 2 or 3 books in that period of time not just 1.

I am a big sleeper. I can easily sleep 12 hours a day. But I still get tired when I read. Managed 15 pages yesterday before getting sleepy.

Lucky...  :P That's a lot of hours sleep! I would need more than that for beauty sleep haha... joking

I'm just going to try and read at least one chapter, but I'm managing two chapters now... patience I guess!

It's not that I can't read if I'm feeling sleepy, more that I shouldn't because, as emelee says, I often pick up the book the following day and can't remember what was going on in the last bit that I read :lol:

I used to try and read about 100 pages a day - sometimes more, sometimes less - but I haven't been doing that this year.  I've gone back to just reading as much as I feel comfortable with, and I've found I've been more relaxed and possibly enjoying the books I've read more as a result, even if it has been taking me longer than usual to finish them.  I also find that the mornings are when I read most, either on my commute or when I'm at home, before tiredness sets in  :smile:

Lucky...  :P That's a lot of hours sleep! I would need more than that for beauty sleep haha... joking

I'm just going to try and read at least one chapter, but I'm managing two chapters now... patience I guess!

No job, school is on summer hiatus..... Got time to sleep! :) 

But I still cannot read more than when I am not free! 

I generally try to read at least two chapters a night - regardless of how many pages there are in it.   :readingtwo:  I do have times where I won't read at all for a week or two.

I tend to read a couple of chapters, when I wake up, a chapter on my commute to work, another during break or lunch unless I'm checking the forum. I might read for an hour after work and an hour or so before I go to sleep. Saturday and sunday mornings I tend to read 100 pages in 2 hours, If I wake up early.

Reading rates depend on distractions, 1/2 hours reading before work will result in more pages than 1/2 hour at work.

Chapter lengths vary, most noticeable with Lackberg , where I couldn't finish a chapter in 20 mins.

I tend to read a couple of chapters, when I wake up, a chapter on my commute to work, another during break or lunch unless I'm checking the forum. I might read for an hour after work and an hour or so before I go to sleep. Saturday and sunday mornings I tend to read 100 pages in 2 hours, If I wake up early.

Reading rates depend on distractions, 1/2 hours reading before work will result in more pages than 1/2 hour at work.

Chapter lengths vary, most noticeable with Lackberg , where I couldn't finish a chapter in 20 mins.

Chapter lengths vary, most noticeable with Lackberg , where I couldn't finish a chapter in 20 mins. y