Your Book Activity ~ February 2013

Kylie

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a splendid read The African Queen is turning out to be!

Something about the cover, and the small font, had made me brace myself for a sombre read.

Granted I've still read less than half the book but it's been hugely entertaining so far.

I find myself chuckling and grinning almost every other page.

I should watch the film after I complete reading it!

Fascinating!  I'll have to find and read the book.  I think it's on my shelf.  I'd forgotten. lol

A few night's ago I read more of The Psychopath Test but when I started reading it the next night, I couldn't remember at all what I'd read the previous night :( I don't know if I can get into it anymore. I tried reading Therapy by Fitzek last night, didn't get into that, and then I started reading a doggy book, but fell asleep. I feel like I've temporarily lost my modjo :(

Doggy books are good too. :D  Have you read James Herriot's....I don't cry, hardly ever, and they have me streaming.  But in a good way.  Your mojo isn't lost, it's on standby.  Just click the right button. :friends3:

There's a sequel called Ben, In the World.  Good book also, though I enjoyed the first one more.

Did not know that!  Thanks.

Completed The African Queen and enjoyed it immensely - I did however find the parts that dealt with the actual sailing of the launch a bit too technical.

Have picked up Girl With A Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier to read next.

Nolliag, I think it was your thoughts I'd read on it sometime back, and it made want to read it :) 

I'll be starting The Stand next!

Very exciting!! :boogie: I really hope you enjoy it as much as I (and many others) have. :smile:

Have picked up Girl With A Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier to read next.

I enjoyed this. I know Chevalier seems to get mixed reviews, but I think a lot of people think highly of this one.

I enjoyed this. I know Chevalier seems to get mixed reviews, but I think a lot of people think highly of this one.

I hadn't heard of her till I picked up this book - so don't know what to expect!

Good to know though, that many people have enjoyed this one  :friends3:

Very exciting!! :boogie: I really hope you enjoy it as much as I (and many others) have. :smile:

I am rather embarrassed to say, it will be my first Stephen King book. :blush:

Just finished 'Is it Just Me?' by Miranda Hart and loved it. It's such a fun read.

Now, mainly because I'm a tad obsessed by the new film, I'm starting 'Les Miserables' by Victor Hugo. Being such a large book, I think I'm going to be progressing further and further away from my book target on 'Goodreads'. :doh:

I finished a couple of books today, Mapp and Lucia which was a re-read for my book group (and just as brilliant as the first time I read it :smile2:) and Masquerade by F. E. Heaton, as a bit of light entertainment before I dived head first into Dangerous Liaisons for the March Reading Circle. Although I've only read about 20 pages, I'm absolutely loving it, so thanks to everyone who voted to choose it! :D

Yesterday I finished the two Auster books, reviews on my book blog.

I've started The 100-year-old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson.  So far, so good.  :D

Thanks poppy!

Thanks Eleonora, bobblybear, and bree for the sympathy! I don't know what's wrong. Maybe it was because first I was at my parents and then I had a friend over, and I haven't been able to read during the daytime and I haven't had my own bedroom to read in, all for myself, for some days. I hope it'll pass now that my friend's left and I'm by myself.

Oh noes! Do you have an old favourite that you can pick up? I find that usually helps me out.

It's a good idea and I've thought about it, but for some reason I couldn't really go with that idea either. I felt like I was keeping myself from getting my TBR down if I would re-read a book. Maybe I'm trying too hard and over-thinking it, and should just go with the flow.

Woohoo! Finally finished The Tenderness of Wolves! I've never felt so conflicted with a book like this before! I'll write down my thoughts during the day, then write a mini review.

I'll be starting The Stand next!

Yay for finishing TToW! :) I hope you will like The Stand! It's really courageous starting with that book, as your first King novel :)

Nearly half way through The Housr of the Spirits, it's taking an age to get through but I am enjoying it. :)

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying it! :smile2:

Fascinating!  I'll have to find and read the book.  I think it's on my shelf.  I'd forgotten. lol

Doggy books are good too. :D  Have you read James Herriot's....I don't cry, hardly ever, and they have me streaming.  But in a good way.  Your mojo isn't lost, it's on standby.  Just click the right button. :friends3:

I tried reading a James Herriot years ago but didn't like it :dunno:  I can't remember why, but I just didn't. I don't know if it was at least partly to do with the fact that I didn't/don't know who Herriot is.

I've started The 100-year-old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson.  So far, so good.  :D

Thanks poppy!

I hope you will enjoy the book! :)

Just finished 'Is it Just Me?' by Miranda Hart and loved it. It's such a fun read.

Now, mainly because I'm a tad obsessed by the new film, I'm starting 'Les Miserables' by Victor Hugo. Being such a large book, I think I'm going to be progressing further and further away from my book target on 'Goodreads'. :doh:

They need a page target.  Les Mis is worth at least three books.  

They need a page target.  Les Mis is worth at least three books.  

I agree! I've been stuck half way through the book for weeks. The idea was to read the book and then watch the film but at the rate I'm going I will have finished in time for the DVD to come out!

I hope you can get to it too, bree. I was a bit apprehensive about reading it, but I've been able to completely dismiss all my concerns about it already.

That's good news! I'm also going to attempt it before the end of the month hopefully for the march reading circle.

I finished Pompeii by Robert Harris and I thought it was brilliant. I was totally gripped even though I knew what was going to happen!

I'm not sure what to start next, I'm going to have to stare at my book case for a while and see what jumps out at me.

Edited by Cookie