Ben's Book Bonanza, 2013.

Ben

Decided on Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, another one that I've had waiting around for a while..

Synopsis:

Far in the future, the World Controllers have created the ideal society. Through clever use of genetic engineering, brainwashing and recreational sex and drugs all its members are happy consumers. Bernard Marx seems alone harbouring an ill-defined longing to break free. A visit to one of the few remaining Savage Reservations where the old, imperfect life still continues, may be the cure for his distress...

Anyone read this? Sounds really interesting.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was one of our set reads at school, Ben, probably about 30 years ago now.  I don't remember a lot about it, but I do remember it was one of the ones I skipped chapters and only read the important bits to be able to get by in the essay we had to write about it! :blush::D

It was one of our set reads at school, Ben, probably about 30 years ago now.  I don't remember a lot about it, but I do remember it was one of the ones I skipped chapters and only read the important bits to be able to get by in the essay we had to write about it! :blush::D

:haha: Brilliant. That doesn't sound too promising but I'll give it a fair chance not doing any chapter-skipping and see how I get on, tehe.

Decided on Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, another one that I've had waiting around for a while..

Anyone read this? Sounds really interesting.

I tried reading it many years ago (when I was in my teens I think), but really couldn't get on with it. I think that may have been due to my age though, and not understanding enough about life/society to really 'get it'. It's one of those books that I keep thinking about reading again, to see if I understand it any better now that I am older!

I'll be interested to see how you get on with it, Ben. :smile:

I tried reading it many years ago (when I was in my teens I think), but really couldn't get on with it. I think that may have been due to my age though, and not understanding enough about life/society to really 'get it'. It's one of those books that I keep thinking about reading again, to see if I understand it any better now that I am older!

I'll be interested to see how you get on with it, Ben. :smile:

That's interesting and I can definitely see why that'd be the case with this book. I'll be sure to type up my thoughts when I'm done. :smile2:

Just finished my final book of the month, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

Thoughts:

What an odd little book, and extremely disconcerting. In the end, I decided to give it 4/5 starts although it was a close run thing and I almost gave it 3. For starters, it's incredible that this novel was written in 1931 - it seems much more modern, and it says it all that it's seems very applicable and relevant to contemporary society. The idea of having a totally controlled, conditioned population is a scary thought.

The reason I almost gave it three stars is because of the tendency to get bogged down in technical terminology - something I wasn't overly interested in, but that might be different for others. I recognise that Huxley obviously thought about this world and the technicalities of what he was trying to portray, very closely, but I think the plot starts of way too slowly as a result of all the explanations.

However, the novel is undoubtedly thought-provoking, and once things got started I really enjoyed how the novel developed. I found the justifications used by those in charge absolutely fascinating, and the whole discussions on morality and free will, particularly the conversation between John and Mustapha Mond, made me stop and think mid-sentence.

I think Huxley's characterisation is excellent. Some of the characters such as Lenina were infuriating, but that's part and parcel of the conditioning and intentional on the author's part. However, people like Bernard Marx were intriguing and his conflict within himself throughout was something I found most intriguing. The way the different characters bounce off each other is great.

There's so much more that could be, and indeed has been, said about this book, but I think I'll leave it there. Overall, an enjoyable and interesting read that will stay with me for a long time, and will give me a lot of questions to quietly consider. A clever dystopia novel that, once it got started, was a pacey but at the same time thought-provoking read. Would definitely recommend.

Brave New World is the book that set me off with my adventures into reading fiction and like you I was amazed that it was written so long ago. It's been a while since I read it so I might have to dig it out again and give it a re-read.

Brave New World is the book that set me off with my adventures into reading fiction and like you I was amazed that it was written so long ago. It's been a while since I read it so I might have to dig it out again and give it a re-read.

It's incredible, I was sure it was written later before I found out. That's cool that it got you into reading fiction. I definitely think I'll be digging it out for a re-read somewhere down the line.

Decided to start a couple of books alongside each other for variety. First up, I'm continuing with Martin's epic series and reading A Feast for Crows. I'm not going to bother posting the synopsis for this just in case people happen to stumble upon something that they don't want to know because they haven't read the others (highly likely at book four in a series).

Other than that, because the plan is to flick in and out of Martin's novel, I'm also starting A Tale of Two Cities.

Synopsis:

'It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...'

After eighteen years as a political prisoner in the Bastille the aging Dr Manette is finally released and reunited with his daughter in England. There, two very different men, Charles Darnay, an exiled French aristocrat, and Sydney Carton, a disreputable but brilliant English lawyer, become enmeshed through their love for Lucie Manette. From the tranquil lanes of London, they are all drawn against their will to the vengeful, bloodstained streets of Paris at the height of the Reign of Terror and soon fall under the lethal shadow of La Guillotine.

Been meaning to read more Dickens, having only got through A Christmas Carol and Great Expectations, for ages now. I plan to get through all of his work at some point, but as Kylie loves this (and has been an excellent recommender with To Kill a Mockingbird and Catch-22 in the past) I thought I'd go ahead and have a go with this. Looking forward to once again enjoying Dickens' verbosity.

I've got Brave New World on my wish list, I might have to buy it sooner rather than later thanks to your review.

Good idea Ben, brilliant writer that he was.

Certainly was. He's definitely one of those authors whose works I aim to get through sooner rather than later.

I've got Brave New World on my wish list, I might have to buy it sooner rather than later thanks to your review.

I look forward to hearing what you think. I've been thinking about it since I finished, such a disconcerting read.

. I've been thinking about it since I finished, such a disconcerting read.

Always the sign of a good book i think. I've not read Brave New World but i do have Island on my TBR pile  :smile:

Always the sign of a good book i think. I've not read Brave New World but i do have Island on my TBR pile  :smile:

Certainly is. Interesting, I haven't actually heard anything about any of his other works - I suppose they do get overshadowed by BNW.

April and I finally caved and bought my first book of the year. I've been trying to get this TBR down by not buying any books at all but I really couldn't resist when in WH Smiths this afternoon. In any case, hopefully it'll be a great purchase: On the Road by Jack Kerouac. I have a friend that absolutely loves this book, and he's been imploring me to read it for ages now. It's on his head if this isn't anything else but excellent.

Ben. You've been so good for so many months that I honestly feel that it's not at all dangerous that you've bought this one single book! And it's a good book, at that, in my humble opinion. I know it kinda sucks when you've promised to yourself you wouldn't buy books, but really, you've only bought one teeny tiny book and not gone and bought books by dozens :D:friends3:

Ben. You've been so good for so many months that I honestly feel that it's not at all dangerous that you've bought this one single book! And it's a good book, at that, in my humble opinion. I know it kinda sucks when you've promised to yourself you wouldn't buy books, but really, you've only bought one teeny tiny book and not gone and bought books by dozens :D:friends3:

And that, folks, is why I love this place and all you truly wonderful people who can instantly make me feel better about something. :friends0:

I've got a feeling I will really enjoy On the Road, and as I'm reading at a relatively decent reading pace I don't think that buying just one 'teeny tiny book', as Frankie excellently put it, will make much difference in my quest to defeat The Terrible and Terrifying TBR. Here's hoping I enjoy the novel as much as the others that have sung its praises.

Edited by Ben

April and I finally caved and bought my first book of the year. I've been trying to get this TBR down by not buying any books at all but I really couldn't resist when in WH Smiths this afternoon. In any case, hopefully it'll be a great purchase: On the Road by Jack Kerouac. I have a friend that absolutely loves this book, and he's been imploring me to read it for ages now. It's on his head if this isn't anything else but excellent.

That's weird I just started reading this today!

April and I finally caved and bought my first book of the year. I've been trying to get this TBR down by not buying any books at all but I really couldn't resist when in WH Smiths this afternoon.

You've done a lot better than I have then! :giggle:

It's ok, captures the essence of the American post-war era nicely, but there is no real purpose for his travelling or writing about his travelling so it seems a bit redundant. Enjoyable journey though.

I see what you mean about it seeming redundant, but I guess the idea of embracing the post-war positivism and doing things simply because you can seems to be the way in which our protagonist is approaching things. I'm certainly enjoying it so far..

You've done a lot better than I have then! :giggle:

:haha: Only because I have an awfully long list of books already to read, and I decided determinedly at the start of the year to try put a dent in them. 

• 1 month later...

This is one unbelievable dry spell of reading at the moment. I haven't read anything since I finished Huxley's Brave New World back in March. I unfortunately had to completely lay off reading because of exams, but with them over and done with I'm reading to get back into things. I had a couple of books on the go but I've decided to go for something new for the minute: The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

Synopsis

The Prisoner of Heaven returns to the world of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books and the Sempere & Sons bookshop. It begins just before Christmas in Barcelona in 1957, one year after Daniel and Bea from The Shadow of the Wind have married. They now have a son, Julian, and are living with Daniel's father at Sempere & Sons. Fermin still works with them and is busy preparing for his wedding to Bernarda in the New Year. However something appears to be bothering him. Daniel is alone in the shop one morning when a mysterious figure with a pronounced limp enters. He spots one of their most precious volumes that is kept locked in a glass cabinet, a beautiful and unique illustrated edition of The Count of Monte Cristo. Despite the fact that the stranger seems to care little for books, he wants to buy this expensive edition. Then, to Daniel's surprise, the man inscribes the book with the words 'To Fermin Romero de Torres, who came back from the dead and who holds the key to the future'. This visit leads back to a story of imprisonment, betrayal and the return of a deadly rival..

As a big fan of The Shadow of the Wind I'm definitely looking forward to this one.