Devi

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great lists Devi! We have a lot of the same books and authors to check out :D

Yep! I got most from you and steve actually. You both opened up my eyes more than ever before to the world of fantasy. I had only known three fantasy authors before I joined this forum. And for that I am grateful! :)

I hope steve reads this too.

Edited by Devi

Well yes and no, its an odd book for me. My enjoyment goes up and down depending on whats happening :giggle2:. I want to keep at it though, so I might just do a couple of chapters of one book, then switch to the other.

I must sound weird hey :blush:

I don't think it sounds weird at all. It's one of my favourite books, and I re-read it last year, but I could only take it in small doses. It took me ages to read!

Yep! I got most from you and steve actually. You both opened up my eyes more than ever before to the world of fantasy. I had only known three fantasy authors before I joined this forum. And for that I am grateful! :)

You're very welcome! I have found loads on here as well. It as expanded my bookshelf and shrunk my wallet :blush2:

:blush2:

Well I'm glad we could help in some way - I hope you enjoy them :smile:

50 pages in and I hate to say it, but I am not really feeling The Tenderness of wolves :(

I'm finding the descriptions feel rather too long in places, and can't help but to say to myself, 'yes yes I get the idea, now get on with the story already!'. Does the book keep going on like that, or is it just like that for the set up?

I just don't seem to have the patience for involved stories at the moment. :(

You're very welcome! I have found loads on here as well. It as expanded my bookshelf and shrunk my wallet :blush2:

Haha yeah, you should see how much I just spent on books :blush: but as my mum says there are worse things I could be spending my money on!

:blush2:

Well I'm glad we could help in some way - I hope you enjoy them :smile:

Can you guys believe the only three fantasy authors I knew before here were Raymond E Fiest, Robin Hobb and Terry Pratchett! Disgusting hey :giggle2:

Edited by Devi

50 pages in and I hate to say it, but I am not really feeling The Tenderness of wolves :(

I'm finding the descriptions feel rather too long in places, and can't help but to say to myself, 'yes yes I get the idea, now get on with the story already!'. Does the book keep going on like that, or is it just like that for the set up?

I was a bit like that at the beginning, and whilst it never really speeds up it does become more involved. :)

I have just finished The Tenderness of Wolves for the second time, and both times I found it a very depressing read, although I'm not quite sure why. I thought the storyline was interesting, and the characters were complex and well-developed, and the writing was really good, but overall I admired the book rather than liked it. I look forward to hearing more about what you think of it as it goes on, it might help me to come to grips with my feelings about it! :)

Well yes and no, its an odd book for me. My enjoyment goes up and down depending on whats happening :giggle2:. I want to keep at it though, so I might just do a couple of chapters of one book, then switch to the other.

I must sound weird hey :blush:

Bit late but no not at all. It's definitely a book that needs to be taken slowly in my opinion. I found it so rewarding in the end though.

Bit late but no not at all. It's definitely a book that needs to be taken slowly in my opinion. I found it so rewarding in the end though.

Well you and chaliepud have both provided me that bit of a... I can't think of the word, but I will keep on going with it!

My first box of books is set to arrive today! :D :D :D

In other news, I am finally setting up my own library and it's going to have a whole room to itself, instead of being shoved into one corner. I am super excited!

2013 is looking good so far for my books!

If people want to see pictures, I will take some.

Edited by Devi

I got my books! They messed my order up a bit though, I received two copies of a book I never ordered, and didn't receive one that I did. :(

The one I didn't get was one I was really looking forward to as well!

I've contacted them and awaiting a reply.

In other news, I am finally setting up my own library and it's going to have a whole room to itself, instead of being shoved into one corner. I am super excited!

I would love a room just for my books. It's my biggest dream to have a house where I can do this.

My first box of books is set to arrive today! :D :D :D

Ooh, I absolutely want to see pics please!

I am super excited too that you will have your own library. I hope you'll keep us updated as it grows (with accompanying pics, of course!)

I got my books! They messed my order up a bit though, I received two copies of a book I never ordered, and didn't receive one that I did. :(

The one I didn't get was one I was really looking forward to as well!

I've contacted them and awaiting a reply.

Oh no! I hope they get it sorted quickly. Maybe you could exchange the two wrong books with the correct one at your local store (in the unlikely event they happen to have the book you're missing!) I guess it's Murphy's Law that they would leave out the one you wanted the most. :(

I'll be sure to take pictures! It will be slow progression into a full library though, as I can only buy shelves here and there with my limited funds.

I heard back about the error in my order pretty quickly. They said keep the two copies I got of a book I didn't order, and that they would refund me for the book I didn't get. I would of rathered a copy instead of a refund as the book to rebuy is now $5, but I just accepted it and went and bought another copy. $5 is still a good price - hopefully this time I will get it though. :giggle2:

If anyone is interested I have an extra hard cover copy of Noah Barleywater Runs Away - John Boyne, the same author who wrote The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.

Edited by Devi

That's great news that they let you keep the extra copy, and I do hope you finally manage to get the book you were after now it's been dealt with. I'm also one of those that would like to see pictures when you have everything set up and ready - I'm so jealous that you're getting your own library!

More thoughts on The Tenderness of wolves.

It might just be me but I sometimes find it tough working out who's POV I am reading until I read at least a paragraph. I also find the writing is a bit all over the place, some parts are far better than other parts. The better parts want me to keep reading it, but then I get to a not so good part and think, why am I still going?

I'm in two minds on whether to finish it or just cut my losses and go back to Catch 22.

I can definitly see why people can be on both sides of the fence with this book though.

Edited by Devi

Strangely for me the book read easily - though in hindsight that's probably because I read it almost continuously in one sitting.

But yes, I can see why the changing narrative can be distracting.

I'll check back on whether you completed this one :)