Disney Acquires Lucasfilm; Star Wars Episode 7 set for 2015 Release

Raven

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, and then a new movie every couple of years, like the James Bond franchise. Will you check them out, Raven? I think this will upset most fans - the last few were such disappointments. I can't imagine how they can ever improve on the first three.

He must've needed the money :rolleyes:

I was sure Lucas would make episodes 7,8 and 9 sooner or later, as I remember when the original movie's popularity exploded and it was re-named 'Episode IV' he touted it as a nine episode story.

Still, hopefully this will no longer be true:

:lol:

My mistake - it was a twelve episode story he originally came up with . . .

http://www.supershad...rs/history.html

1975 -- George Lucas conceives of and writes the basic main story of Anakin Skywalker's rise, fall and ultimate redemption with secondary stories involving the adventures of Luke Skywalker, who is the son of Anakin Skywalker. This story becomes too large for one film and Lucas divides the story into 12 Star Wars movie episodes consisting of four Star Wars film trilogies. The first Star Wars trilogy focuses on the life of a young Anakin Skywalker (Star Wars prequel trilogy) while the second Star Wars film trilogy (Star Wars classic trilogy) and the third Star Wars movie trilogy (Star Wars sequel trilogy) focus on Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia, the daughter of Anakin Skywalker.

The fourth Star Wars film trilogy is vague and esoteric with a strange plot. It is set countless thousands of years after the third Star Wars movie trilogy (Star Wars sequels).

In the mid 1970's, Lucas chooses to make the second Star Wars film trilogy first since it appears to be the most exciting one to film at the time.

Will Disney retain Lucas in any capacity for the upcoming movies?

He's going to be a 'creative consultant', apparently, so he won't be writing, producing or directing. Small mercies, and all that . . .

Of course, the other thing here is that Disney now own Indiana Jones as well.

I don't know whether to be delighted or horrified by this news! I suppose it all hinges on the quality of the scripts - which in turn probably hinges on whether Lucas writes them or they get someone sensible to do it.

Will you check them out, Raven?

I expect so; new films by new people and they won't be written by Lucas, so there is every chance they could be good (of course there is also the chance they could be bad, but we'll just have to wait and see).

I think this will upset most fans…

I don't think it will, if they stop and think things through.

On the positive side, Disney have handled the recent Marvel films very well (especially The Avengers film) but on the negative side they've also run Pirates of the Caribbean into the floor, so who knows which way this will go.

It opens a lot of possibilities though; could we see a Joss Whedon written and directed Star Wars film? Could we - at last - see the original theatrical release of the films remastered and released in HD? Will the oft rumoured TV series now go ahead? Again, we'll just have to wait and see.

There is a lot to be excited about, even for a rather jaded fan like myself!

My mistake - it was a twelve episode story he originally came up with . . .

http://www.supershad...rs/history.html

I have never heard that before, at first glance that sounds like a lot of fan rumours complied into an article to me!

For years Lucas touted the nine film plan, but then back-peddled when the prequels were being made to state that he only ever intended to make six films to tell the story of the rise, fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker. Now, of course, the story has changed again and he is saying that although he only ever intended to make six films, he always thought the series would be passed on for others to carry on.

Personally, I think he's making things up as he goes!

Edited by Raven

I have never heard that before, at first glance that sounds like a lot of fan rumours complied into an article to me!

I can't attest to it, of course, but I know I read something about the 12 episode thing back when the first movie came out, in some magazine or other. In fact I think it goes back as far as his 'Journal of the Whills' plan, part of which I recall being used at the start of the novelisation, detailing the rise of the emperor and such. I'll have to to see if it's still on my shelves somewhere. . .

I don't doubt that the other episodes (i.e. other than the first movie) were nothing more than basic outlines, though. I still don't believe, for one moment, that Luke and Leia were envisaged as brother and sister when the first film was made - at least I hope not, cos it makes his pining for her in that movie just a tad disturbing!

ETA: Re any possible release of the original, unaltered versions of the original trilogy, I've read elsewhere that apparently Lucas has retained the rights to them and the prequels, so he's determined they won't see the light of day, by the looks of it. If only he'd erase 'Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull' from history, too . . .

ETA2: Obviously it's not that simple: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tangled-rights-could-tie-up-384541

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Just read through the Super Shadow article.

June 1997 -- Principle photography for Episode 1 begins. Lucasfilm's unique style of ultra secrecy is utilized on the set. Despite this security, the plot line of the film is leaked bit by bit to the Internet. By the end of 1998, SuperShadow.com has posted an accurate summary of the Episode 1 script. Thus, SS.com becomes the center of Star Wars fandom on the Internet.

Never heard of them before! I thought TheForce.net was the main Star Wars fan site?!

Whist a lot of what they have said sounds broadly right, I'd look into any claims they make when they use phases like:

Lucasfilm releases the ingenious and critically praised Star Wars Episode 1 The Phantom Menace 3D in cinemas theaters multiplexes around the world.

I don't recall it getting much praise!

I can't attest to it, of course, but I know I read something about the 12 episode thing back when the first movie came out, in some magazine or other. In fact I think it goes back as far as his 'Journal of the Whills' plan, part of which I recall being used at the start of the novelisation, detailing the rise of the emperor and such. I'll have to to see if it's still on my shelves somewhere. . .

Didn't Alan Dean Foster ghost write that? (I've got a copy of it too, but god only knows where).

ETA: Interesting article on the SFX website that relates to the above.

Edited by Raven

Didn't Alan Dean Foster ghost write that? (I've got a copy of it too, but god only knows where).

Yes. I dug out my copy but all that it says is 'From the first saga, Journal of the Whills'.

There's an interesting article about Splinter of the Mind's Eye on the Star Wars Afficianado website that has this to say:

If the film of STAR WARS, delayed from it’s Xmas 1976 opening until Summer of 1977 (due to its complicated effects work), would indeed prove to be the success the majority of people who

worked on it hoped it would be, then Lucas would at least be able to placate those fans wanting more adventures in the STAR WARS universe with this new original book adventure until the hopeful release of the second film in the saga (whether that was to be an adaptation of SPLINTER itself-a distinct possibility at this point- or the next proper chapter of the twelve part series (later changed to nine parts-three trilogies- as originally conceived for by Lucas and Kurtz) had yet to be decided).

http://www.starwarsa..._MIND_S_EYE.pdf

• 2 months later...

Ohmygod! Do we really need more?! I get bored of them within 5 minutes. They're old (and I don't do old films, anything past 1990 is a no-no) and it probably wouldn't be right considering it's been god knows how many years since the last one was made.

@ risingdawn, if you've only ever seen the prequels that probably explains your boredom.

I've seen the one where Liam Neeson goes to the young boy of Luke Skywalker and he's making some car machine thing. I honestly don't know xD I don't think I even watched the whole thing. I think I have watched them all but at a time when my step-dad (at the time) was having a marathon of them and I was like 9.

Having JJ Abrams write & direct presumebly means that it will be all action & no brain. Sounds like MY kind of a film!

Well JJ Abrams got me to like Star Trek so maybe there is hope for the new starwars films. And as much as i was disappointed by episodes I, II and III, I loved IV, V and VI so I live in hope the original magic will be created and I will go to see them. I'm not sure about a new film every couple of years though, I sense doom :(