Sherlock Holmes

Andie P

I'm going to enter a flash fiction competition on the subject of Sherlock Holmes, where can I find quick information about the man himself rather than reading all the materials? Does anyone know where I can download some of the short stories?

Any advice I would be very grateful of!

Andie P x

You can download all the short stories at a site called Project Gutenberg, which has books that are no longer in copyright. They have book in lots of different formats including Kindle.

There are lots of them, so you're gonna have to do some cramming!

Good luck!

Your best idea would be to download some of the free stories and write something based around one or two of them. Like Ian said you can get them all on Project Gutenburg, or there's a lot of free stories available on Kindle from Amazon. I believe the complete collection is only 0.77p, but you can get free collections such as The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and The Return of Sherlock Holmes.

Best of luck with the competition.

Edited by Ben

Thanks for the replies Ian and Ben. I think you're right Ben, I'm just going to concentrate on one or two stories and base something around that. I tried to watch the film to see if I could pick up any 'quick' tips but it just confused me more!

Not sure I can cram all of the stories in after looking on Project Gutenberg! Thanks for the tip Ian!

I will let you know how I get on...fingers crossed!

Andie P x

If you want my personal opinion you should do something centred around Irene Adler. It was done in the film quite well but I've always thought there was excellent scope for new material focused on here. She's such a great character and yet only appears in 'A Scandal in Bohemia'. Of course it's up to you but just thought I'd make a suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestion Ben, that has given me an idea actually. I will download the story you tell me about and have a good read. Thank you!! Will keep you informed of my developments!!

Andie P x

Hi Ben,

I have just read 'A Scandal in Bohemia' and really enjoyed it. However, can you explain why she is referred to as 'late Irene Adler' at the beginning when there is no reference of her dying?

Andie P x

I have done some more research and I know that some authors have killed her off in their versions, but it doesn't make sense to me. Am I being thick and missing something or have I picked up on something intriguing?

Andie P x

As far as I'm aware she's just referred to as the 'late' Irene Adler because she disappears at the end of the story, out of his life. I think that's just the term he uses to describe the fact that she is now gone, not sure it's an insinuation that she's died or anything like that.

There is also a fiction book called "The Sherlockian" which intergrates background material about Conan Doyle throughout the story. PLUS its a good read!

Thanks, on my TBR list!

Andie P x

• 3 weeks later...