In shock (rare books/first editions)

Hyzenthlay

So yesterday I was at a classmate's house for a friend's baby shower. That was really great, but halfway through the party I notice something on her shelf. It's a very battered French copy of Les Miserables. I open it carefully, and what do you know - A FIRST EDITION. (Tome Premiere)

I approach her, awe in my eyes, and ask her about it and tell her that I am a huge (HUGE) fan. She waves a hand, smiles dismissivey and says, "oh yeah, my Dad gave me that when I started studying political science. I like the cover, but whatever." And then she shrugs and giggles (presumably at the thought of something as silly as a first edition French novel).

WHAT THE BLURGH?

I'm so jealous.

To make this more than a rant: do you own any special books?

Edited by Hyzenthlay

So sad that your friend should have something like that and not even know how much it's worth (not just in money!) :(

Edit: And that she isn't even bothered about learning more about the book. Like she couldn't care less :(

Edited by frankie

I know, I was stunned (at her reaction, at her apparent nonchalance, at her clearly implied smirk to another girl about how dumb I was for even wanting to chat about the book). She's not a friend of mine, I barely know her outside of common classes. The party was at her house, is all.

What a loss and a waste. Pearls before swine comes to mind.

I do own some old books, some of them are special to me, but none is of that great a value.

But ALL my books (even the new paperbacks) are treated well!

And yes, you are right, that's a real shame!

For a book like that, a real bibliophile is longing for ages and no matter if he would like what is written in it. And someone treating it like that! Hurts to read about.

:o seems an odd present for her dad to have got her if she's obviously not a book lover! I'm with Kell, you should offer to take it off her hands :D

I have an illustrated edition of Oliver Twist printed in 1859 which I love, pretty sure it isn't worth anything, I got it from a second hand charity book shop when I went to London for £3.80. Still, I love Dickens and I like the idea of it having so much history :smile:

:o seems an odd present for her dad to have got her if she's obviously not a book lover! I'm with Kell, you should offer to take it off her hands :D

I have an illustrated edition of Oliver Twist printed in 1859 which I love, pretty sure it isn't worth anything, I got it from a second hand charity book shop when I went to London for £3.80. Still, I love Dickens and I like the idea of it having so much history :smile:

I wouldn't mind betting that the edition of Oliver Twist you have could be worth a bit - especially as it is Dickens' 200th anniversary year. I'm sure you wouldn't want to sell it but it might be worth getting it valued or taken to an Antiques Road Show if they are coming by. It might be worth insuring it.

I agree with the suggestion you should offer to take it off her hands. :D

I'm also pretty sure I don't have any valuable books, but I do have a pretty battered old copy of Animal Farm that I dare not read because it quite frankly looks like it's going to fall apart.