Free Audio Books [NO PROMOTION]

Yannick Grant

Hi guys, I don't know if anyone ever posted about this, but I know this site where you can get free ebooks that have been spoken in by volunteers from all over the world. The program is called Librivox, and on openculture.com there is a

nice list of the most books they have done with links:

http://www.opencultu.../freeaudiobooks

There are I think more than 100 free ebooks and most classics are in there, so it really is a great resource for those of us looking to listen to some great audiobooks. As a matter of fact, I am now listening to an English translation of the Odyssee (by Homer) and I have just finished the Three Musketeers. I'd recommend this resource to anyone

Oh I now see that I might have been quite stupid, I only just saw there is a thread about free ebooks .... :doh:

Edited by Kell
Changed title of post a little. ;)

Ah, but you're alright, coz the other thread is for free e-books and you're talking about audio books instead. ;)

I love Librivox. If you get a good reader, then it's brilliant - there's one guy in particular goes by the name of Chip and he is awesome! He did The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and was just marvellous.

However, if you get a bad reader, it's just awful. I once downloaded 80 Days Around the World and the guy reading it was stumblnig all over the place and had absolutely no idea of how punctuation works in relation to reading aloud, as well as having a monotone. I listened to all of about a minute and switched it off - LOL!

It's an excellent resource though, I keep promising myself that one of these days I'll hook myself up with a mike and volunteer for a chapter or two. ;) And once I ge tmy new iPod sorted out, I shall be loading it up with free audio books from there once more. :)

I listened to an Oscar Wilde whilst following the playscript in the book - which helped with reading the play, but it was a bit disconcerting having the English upper classes talking with an American accent! The reading itself was excellent though (and as it was a play there were several voices) so overall it was an enjoyable experience. I haven't tried anything else from there yet.

I listened to a version of Lady Susan by Jane Austen. It's written in the form of letters between people and each character was read by a different person, so it was almost like listening ot a radio play, which was rather fun. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...