Ghost Stories

Strangely enough, I've just started reading fiction after years of autobiographies, biographies and factual accounts of sailing, cycling and alike.

In the past couple of weeks, I have read 'The Small Hand', by Susan Hill, 'Dark Matter' by Michelle Paver and just finished 'The Woman in Black' by Susan Hill. Epic, by the way.

Where next?

Your recommendations will be appreciated.

I've been finding it really tough to find decent ghost stories. I've read the ones you mention, and ones such as King's The Shining, Dickens' The Signal-Man (and A Christmas Carol, obviously!). Then there's Henry James' The Turn of the Screw. Peter Straub's Ghost Story has been recommended to me, too, but I think it falls more into the horror genre.

I'm not a reader of ghost stories generally (too much of a scaredy cat), but having a quick search, I've found an author to add to Karsa's recommendations, which hopefully might trigger the memory of someone else who has actually read them and can tell you if they're any good! The author is M. R. James and the two books I've seen are Collected Ghost Stories and Casting the Runes and Other Ghost Stories.

Funnily enough, I was just going to suggest M R James' Ghost Stories. They're as good as anything in the field, and better than most.

Dennis Wheatley is also pretty good if you want a good old scary read. The Devil Rides Out is, of course, his best-known work, but I'd recommend the omnibus The Best of Dennis Wheatley, which contains a couple of other top-notch stories as well.

• 2 weeks later...