Devi's Lists 2012

Devi

Well the shelves are built! So all I need to do is name all the books and put them on said shelf.

To add to my delight, my illustrated copy of the The Divine Comedy came in the mail today! I believe someone else on the forum has a copy too?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had three books arrive today and they were:

The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber

Tales of the Dying Earth by Jack Vance - this one contains all the books in one

and

Stiff by Mary Roach

Stiff by Mary Roach

One of my favorite non-fiction books ever! The subject matter might seem morbid, but it really is utterly hilarious. Mary Roach knows how to write. I hope you enjoy it and I can't hear your thoughts on the book :smile2:

The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber

Stiff by Mary Roach

Two brilliant books. Stiff is especially hilarious as Frankie says. You wouldn't think such a subject can be so funny, but Mary Roach makes it hysterically so.

Ok, I have finally updated my lists in the first post on here, so do please take a look! :D :e010: :thud:

Most will notice a lot of the books have been from around the forums :blush:, if anyone has any suggestions of authors and or books I should add, please do so.

I should also note, my series list still needs a tad more work.

Edited by Devi

Ok, I have finally updated my lists in the first post on here, so do please take a look! :D

Okay, I've come back now to take a new look like you suggested :D

Most will notice a lot of the books have been from around the forums :blush:, if anyone has any suggestions of authors and or books I should add, please do so.

This place rocks because there are so many great recommendations on here, and there's something for everyone. One of the strong points of the forum is that the tastes of the readers are so varied on here! :)

Books To Check Out:

Running with Scissors - Augusten Burroughs

The Stranger Beside Me: Ted Bundy The Shocking Inside Story - Ann Rule

Green River, Running Red - Ann Rule

A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess

Dracula - Bram Stoker

Shadow Of The Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon

The Art of Racing in the Rain - Garth Stein

Sister - Rosamund Lupton

The Summer Without Men - Siri Hustvedt

The Stand - Stephen King

The Green Mile - Stephen King

In Cold Blood - Truman Capote

Helter Skelter - Vincent Bugliosi and Curt Gentry

These are definitely all great and I recommend them all! :) There were also a lot of titles on that list which I also have on my TBR or wishlist, but I can't really comment on those because, well, I haven't read them yet :D

I'd love to see you TBR list, though :giggle:

I'd love to see you TBR list, though :giggle:

Haha, well I am working on it, just a tad slowly, once it's done it will be up! :D

Great lists there, Devi! Nice to see David Gemmell getting a mention :D

Thanks! I have never read any of his books, at least none of the titles ring a bell. Any recommendations for someone who has never read one of his books?

Thanks! I have never read any of his books, at least none of the titles ring a bell. Any recommendations for someone who has never read one of his books?

Hmm, well - of the ones I have read so far - I'd go for 'Legend' or 'Sword in the Storm'. 'Legend' was his very first book and it's regarded as a classic. For me, 'Sword in the Storm' is his most accomplished novel that I've read to date. It was one of his later ones, so his writing style had developed by then. I haven't read a bad one by him yet, though, so I don't think you can really go wrong :smile:

Hmm, well - of the ones I have read so far - I'd go for 'Legend' or 'Sword in the Storm'. 'Legend' was his very first book and it's regarded as a classic. For me, 'Sword in the Storm' is his most accomplished novel that I've read to date. It was one of his later ones, so his writing style had developed by then. I haven't read a bad one by him yet, though, so I don't think you can really go wrong :smile:

Thank you, I think I will start with his first 'legend' and go from there.

My TBR Pile O' trouble is finished now! It's on the first page for anyone interested.

Edited by Devi

Wow, that was quick! Hurrah, I finally get to analyze your TBR pile :D

I can definitely see the sci-fi/fantasy influence of the forum on the list :lol:

At the moment we don't have a lot of books in common, but I found these titles:

Death at La Fenice - Donna Leon

I Am Legend - Richard Matheson

The Suspicions of Mr Whicher or The Murder at Road Hill House- Kate Summerscale

I also have them on my TBR and I expect them to be quite good. I'm looking forward to reading your reviews if you get to reading them first :)

Geralds Game - Stephen King

Perfume: Story of a Murderer - Patrick Süskind

The Stand - Stephen King

Stiff: The Curious Lives Of Human Cadavers - Mary Roach´

I've read these and the last three are all really amazing in their own different ways. Gerald's Game was good too, but there are certain times when it feels like it's not getting anywhere, you just have to persevere and keep on reading :)

I can definitely see the sci-fi/fantasy influence of the forum on the list :lol:

This is 'A Good Thing' :D

I noticed you've got Cornwell's 'Grail Quest' trilogy on your list, Devi. I'd highly recommend his 'Warlord' trilogy as well, if you haven't read it. I actually much preferred it to the 'Grail Quest' books :smile:

Of course we're interested! :lol: Popping back to page one to check it out now ...

:D well if you have any recommendations, please do tell! I know my tastes are all over the place, and I'm not sure if people see that as a good or bad thing.

Wow, that was quick! Hurrah, I finally get to analyze your TBR pile :D

At the moment we don't have a lot of books in common, but I found these titles:

I also have them on my TBR and I expect them to be quite good. I'm looking forward to reading your reviews if you get to reading them first :)

I've read these and the last three are all really amazing in their own different ways. Gerald's Game was good too, but there are certain times when it feels like it's not getting anywhere, you just have to persevere and keep on reading :)

I am slowly making my way through everyone's reading blogs, most of the ones I found interesting on yours are still on my 'to check out' list. I actually find a lot of the books you read rather interesting :D

This is 'A Good Thing' :D

I noticed you've got Cornwell's 'Grail Quest' trilogy on your list, Devi. I'd highly recommend his 'Warlord' trilogy as well, if you haven't read it. I actually much preferred it to the 'Grail Quest' books :smile:

As do your books in your reading blog too Karsa! I haven't read any of his yet, but I do love the sound of the ones I picked up. I shall add the warlord trilogy to my list!

Edited by Devi

Looking at my books this morning, and it appears I forgot some titles. I was working off my goodreads list when initially setting it all up.

I forgot to add:

Bram Stoker - Dracula

Alistair Maclean - Guns of Navarone

Clive Barker - Abarat

James Twining - The Gilded Seal

Richard Laymon - Savage

Now to add them to my list!

I am slowly making my way through everyone's reading blogs, most of the ones I found interesting on yours are still on my 'to check out' list. I actually find a lot of the books you read rather interesting :D

Aww, thanks for your kind words :smile2:

I forgot to add:

Bram Stoker - Dracula

I haven't read the other titles, but this one is another great book that I really enjoyed, I hope you like it, too! It's a great classic :)

Great lists Devi :D

Thanks! :D I just need to remember to keep on updating it.

I think karsa Orlong might be proud of this list! :giggle:

The Haul Report:

The Lions of al-Rassan - Guy Gavriel Kay

The Fall of Hyperion - Dan Simmons (sequal to Hyperion)

Dune Messiah - Frank Herbert

The Priests of PSI - Frank Herbert

The Coming of the King - Nokolai Tolstoy

and lastly

The Wheel of Time Series - Robert Jordan:

Eye of the World

Great Hunt

Dragon Reborn

I just can't stay away from the sci-fi & fantasy section!

Edited by Devi