Devi's Lists 2012

Devi

I popped into a book section of a department store today and found a couple of good books I wouldn't mind getting a hold of. One fiction and one non fiction.

The Death Relic by Chris Kuzneski

synopsis from his site:

The New World, 1545…

"Vanquished by the Spanish Empire, little remains of the Aztec and Mayan civilizations. From the ashes of their cities, a unified legend emerges: the Christians who conquered them possessed a mysterious object, an artifact so powerful-so deadly-that it was known throughout the Americas as “the death relic.”

Yucatan Peninsula, present day…

"When Maria Pelati’s research team disappears in Mexico, Jonathon Payne and David Jones embark on a perilous mission to find the missing archaeologists. The duo quickly finds a link between the group’s work and its recent disappearance. Following the clues left behind, the pair try to solve one of the darkest mysteries of the new world, but their quest for the relic might cost them their lives."

and

On Radji Beach by Ian W.Shaw

synopsis from the publishers site:

"When Singapore fell dramatically to the Japanese on 15 February 1942, hundreds of people scrambled to the docks to flee. Amongst the evacuees were 65 Australian nurses who boarded a coastal freighter named the Vyner Brooke. They only made it as far as the waters off Muntok Island near Sumatra. There, Japanese bombers sank the small ship. Those who survived the sinking drifted for up to three days before making landfall on one of the many beaches on Muntok. A group of about 60 shipwreck survivors, including 22 nurses, gathered at Radji Beach. They voted to surrender to the Japanese rather than slowly starve to death, but the Japanese patrol that found them did not accept their surrender. Instead, it divided the Europeans into three groups and killed them all in turn. The Australian nurses were in the third group, and 21 of them died in a hail of bullets as they walked, abreast, into the sea. Miraculously, there was one survivor, Vivian Bullwinkel, who brought the truth about this appalling atrocity to light, and who went on to experience the internment camps, starvation and disease that took away many of her friends."

Edited by Devi

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just bought 4 new books from the BD:

I am Legend by Richard Matheson

Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Süskind

The Reapers are the Angels by Alden Bell

and all for $40! I'm pretty happy with that.

Edited by Devi

good choice! The movie version is so campy and cheesy......I love it! :D

That's what I heard too, and I enjoyed the movie until the end bit haha. I can't wait to read the book though!

Edited by Devi

I just bought a fifth book, I couldn't help it but I have had my eye on the 'the book of human skin' ever since I saw it here. It had dropped in price by $4 over night on BD, and with my 10% off I got another $2 off it as well, so got it for $15 in the end. I know it's silly, but I chose the more expensive looking cover because I thought it looked better, and would grab people's attention.

Edited by Devi

That's what I heard too, and I enjoyed the movie until the end bit haha. I can't wait to read the book though!

The book is fantastic, the film ... isn't. It's just a dire, cgi'd mess. The book is one of the best vampire stories around, the film is about ... zombies?? Plus, the book has one of the best endings I've read, whilst the end of the movie totally robs the story of its entire meaning - so pointless. Only Hollywood could mess something up to that extent :doh:

Hope you enjoy the book! :smile:

The book is fantastic, the film ... isn't. It's just a dire, cgi'd mess. The book is one of the best vampire stories around, the film is about ... zombies?? Plus, the book has one of the best endings I've read, whilst the end of the movie totally robs the story of its entire meaning - so pointless. Only Hollywood could mess something up to that extent :doh:

Hope you enjoy the book! :smile:

The people I have spoken to who have both read the book and seen the movie, reckon I will change my mind about the movie once I read the book haha.

I enjoyed the film of I am Legend fine, and would happily watch it again, but to me the only connection between them is the name! The book is a great read. I do think the book is better than the film , but as I say to me they are just totally different things. Hope you enjoy it! :)

• 2 weeks later...

All my books turned up in the mail, but not one had a free bookmark :cry:

I also put my name down for the pied piper at my local library. I'm not sure what I will read first, but I think it will be the pied piper, mainly because it's a library book.

I'm pretty excited! :D I got my mum back into reading again and it all started with memoirs of a monster hunter. We watched the road together and I happened to mention that I had the book from the library, and so she asked to read it after me. Now she is reading one of the five books I bought today - Midnight in Sicily. My mum is the one who got me into reading at a very young age.

I'm pretty excited! :D I got my mum back into reading again and it all started with memoirs of a monster hunter. We watched the road together and I happened to mention that I had the book from the library, and so she asked to read it after me. Now she is reading one of the five books I bought today - Midnight in Sicily. My mum is the one who got me into reading at a very young age.

That's amazing news! :smile2: It's great that you can now again talk books with her, recommend her novels and get recommendations from her :)

I need to stay away from the library I think! I borrowed two more books on top of pied piper! :lol:

The book theif - Markus Zusak

Thought the start was good albeit a bit slow here and there, but the last 3/4s were awesome! I really felt for Leisel towards the end, though I did feel it ended a bit adruptly. I love how the narrator is death, and also loved how he describes souls, in his own way he cares.

I couldn't help but keep saying to myself "kiss Rudy damn it" the whole time :lol:

4/5

Sorry, I am not very good at writing reviews :lol:

Edited by Devi

Pied Piper by Nevil Shute

I loved this book from the beginning to end, I was eager and excited to get to read this every night before bed and was sad when it was over. I thought it was well written and as others have said, authentic for the time. I could picture it all clearly in my head as it all unfolded.

I did struggle with the idea of a mother leaving her two kids in the care of someone she didn't really know, but that would be more of a generation thought. I know she would not have decided it easily.

This would easily have to be one of my favourite books I have read this year so far. I intend to buy my own copy.

5/5

Edited by Devi

• 2 weeks later...

As promised here is the list of books I have gotten in the past couple of weeks from various sources.

I will do a post for each lot of books I receieved from the different places. This is what I bought from mightyape.

Vampires: A Bite-Sized History ~ Judyth A. McLeod

Synopsis from mightyape:

Vampires offers a bite-sized overview of the ever-mutating vampire, a phenomenon created by primal human fears of blood-sucking monsters. 

The book delves into Gothic horrors from the late Middle Ages and takes a fresh look at Vlad Dracula, defender of Wallachia and the Christian faith who was also a feared warrior with grisly torture methods and the basis for Stoker's Count Dracula. 

The evolution of vampires in literature, film and television is comprehensively covered, from the iconic Dracula tale, Stephen King's Salem's Lot to Stephanie Meyer's 'Twilight' series; Nosferatu, the first Hollywood take on vampires and modern films such as the Blade trilogy and New Moon; and popular TV shows including The Twilight Zone, True Blood and The Vampire Diaries. 

Key points: broad range of content covers ancient myths of vampires, Bram Stoker's Dracula to Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the 'Twilight' series; brings together extensive research and analysis into an engaging overview of vampire legends; presented with a Gothic black velvet cover.

Songs of the Dying Earth : Stories in Honour of Jack Vance ~ George R.R. Martin

Synopsis from mightyape:

A dim place, ancient beyond knowledge. The sun is feeble and red. A million cities have fallen to dust. Here live a few thousand souls, dying, as the Earth dies beneath them. Just a few short decades remain to the long history of our world. At the last, science and magic one, and there is evil on Earth, distilled by time … Earth is dying.

Half a century ago, Jack Vance created the world of the Dying Earth, and fantasy has never been the same. Now, for the first time ever, Jack has agreed to open this bizarre and darkly beautiful world to other fantasists, to play in as their very own.

The list of twenty-one contributurs eager to honour Jack Vance by writing for this anthology includes Raymond E. Feist, Neil Gaiman, Elizabeth Hand, Tanith Lee, Michael Moorcock, Dan Simmons, Robert Silverberg, Tad Williams, Walter Jon Williams and George R.R. Martin himself.

Pyre of Queens ~ David Hair

Synopsis from mightyape:

Mandore, India, 769 AD: An evil sorcerer king has devised a deadly secret ritual: he and his seven queens will burn on his funeral pyre and he will rise again with the powers of the demon king, Ravana. But things go wrong when one queen, the beautiful, spirited Darya, escapes with the help of the court poet.

Jodhphur, India, 2010: At the site of ancient Mandore, four teenagers meet and realise that the deathless king and his ghostly brides are hunting them down. As vicious forces from the past come alive, they need to unlock truths that have been hidden for centuries and fight an ancient battle . . . one more time.

A dark and gripping fantasy series from the award-winning author of The Bone Tiki.

A Lion Called Christian ~ Anthony Bourke

Synopsis from mightyape:

In 2008, YouTube.com featured an extraordinary two-minute film clip that became an overnight phenomenon. It shows the remarkable, highly moving reunion of two men and their pet lion, Christian, after they had left him in Africa with Born Free's George Adamson, who would introduce him into his rightful home in the wild. "A Lion Called Christian" tells the backstory, of how John Rendall and Anthony 'Ace' Bourke, visitors to London from Australia in 1969, bought a boisterous lion cub in Harrods for 250 guineas. For a while, the three of them lived together as flatmates in a furniture shop in the King's Road, Chelsea, where Christian quickly became a local celebrity.But the lion cub was growing up, fast, and even the walled church garden in which he exercised wouldn't be big enough for him for much longer. How could John and Ace avoid having to incarcerate him in a zoo for the rest of his life? It was thanks to Virginia McKenna and Bill Travers, stars of Born Free, who dropped into the shop, that Christian was subsequently flown to Kenya and placed under the expert care of Adamson. After settling Christian in, Ace and John did not return to Kenya to see Christian for a year. Thanks to the internet age, their very special and touching reunion is again being enjoyed by millions. "A Lion Called Christian" is the full story behind the amazing clip. Originally published in 1971, it has now been fully revised and updated by the authors, with stunning photographs of Christian from cuddly cub in Chelsea to magnificent lion in Africa. It is a unique and extraordinary story of its time, and is destined to become one of the great classics of animal literature.

and this is what I got from BD

American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History by Chris Kyle

Synopsis from BD:

From 1999 to 2009, U.S. Navy SEAL Chris Kyle recorded the most career sniper kills in United States military history. Iraqi insurgents feared him so much they called him al-Shaitan ("the devil") and placed a $20,000 bounty on his head. Kyle earned legendary status among his fellow SEALs, Marines, and U.S. Army soldiers, fighting alongside them in the streets, as well as protecting them from rooftops and stealth positions. Through four combat deployments, he was awarded seven medals for bravery, including two Silver Stars. Gripping and unforgettable, Kyle's masterful account of his extraordinary battlefield experiences ranks as one of the great war memoirs of all time.

Edited by Devi

3 books for $10 deals at a local shop.

Sharpe's Siege by Bernard Cornwell  

Synopsis from BD

A classic Sharpe adventure: Richard Sharpe and the Winter Campaign, 1814. The invasion of France is under way, and the British Navy has called upon the services of Major Richard Sharpe. He and a small force of Riflemen are to capture a fortress and secure a landing on the French coast. It is to be one of the most dangerous missions of his career. Through the incompetence of a recklessly ambitious naval commander and the machinations of his old enemy, French spymaster Pierre Ducos, Sharpe finds himself abandoned in the heart of enemy territory, facing overwhelming forces and the very real prospect of defeat. He has no alternative but to trust his fortunes to an American privateer -- a man who has no love for the British invaders.

Sharpe's Battle by Bernard Cornwell 

Synopsis from BD:

Richard Sharpe and the Battle of Fuentes de Onoro, May 1811 In the spring of 1811, while quartered in the crumbling Portuguese fort of San Isidro, Richard Sharpe and his men are attacked by an elite French unit commanded by the formidable Brigadier Loup, and suffer heavy losses. Sharpe has already clashed once with Loup, and the Frenchman has sworn to have his revenge. After the attack, Sharpe is faced with the ruin of his career and reputation, as the army's high command tries to blame him for the disaster. With thousands of French troops massing at a tiny village nearby, Sharpe's only hope is to redeem himself on the battlefield. To save his honour, Sharpe must lead his men to glory in the narrow streets of Fuentes de Onoro. The Complete Sharpe Collection with a new introduction by the author

Warriors by Jack Ludlow 

Synopsis from BD:

The Byzantine Empire rules in Southern Italy, but the indigenous populations are restless. The Lombards are no exception - unwilling subjects to an overwhelming military empire - yet they have been too divided to threaten the hegemony of Constantinople. One of their number, Arduin of Fassano, is appointed by the young Byzantine general, Michael Doukeianos, to hold the key to Apulia, the vital castle of Melfi, unaware that Arduin intends to join his Lombard brethren and rise up in revolt, hiring to aid him the most-feared of all the soldiers in Christendom: the Norman mercenaries of Campania. Led by William de Hauteville, known as Bras de Fer, the eldest of five mercenary brothers, the Normans cross into Apulia intent on more than aiding revolt: they are seeking land and titles for themselves. Will the might of the Byzantine Empire crush Arduin's Lombard revolt? Will his ambitious plan succeed with the help of those great warriors, the de Hauteville brothers? Or will the treachery that stalks the land favour the Normans?

The Tenth Chamber 

Synopsis from BD:

Abbey of Ruac, rural France: A medieval script is discovered hidden behind an antique bookcase. Badly damaged, it is sent to Paris for restoration, and there literary historian Hugo Pineau begins to read the startling fourteenth-century text. Within its pages lies a fanciful tale of a painted cave and the secrets it contains - and a rudimentary map showing its position close to the abbey. Intrigued, Hugo enlists the help of archaeologist Luc Simard and the two men go exploring. When they discover a vast network of prehistoric caves, buried deep within the cliffs, they realise that they've stumbled across something extraordinary. And at the very core of the labyrinth lies the most astonishing chamber of all, just as the manuscript chronicled. Aware of the significance of their discovery, they set up camp with a team of experts, determined to bring their find to the world. But as they begin to unlock the ancient secrets the cavern holds, they find themselves at the centre of a dangerous game. One 'accidental' death leads to another. And it seems that someone will stop at nothing to protect the enigma of the tenth chamber...

The Alchemists Secret by Scott Mariani

Synopsis from BD:

Where there's Hope there's trouble! Ben Hope lives on the edge. A former elite member of the SAS, Ben is tortured by a tragedy from his past and now devotes his life to finding kidnapped children. But when Ben is recruited to locate an ancient manuscript which could save a dying child, he embarks on the deadliest quest of his life. The document is alleged to contain the formula for the elixir of life, discovered by the brilliant alchemist Fulcanelli decades before. But it soon becomes apparent that others are hunting this most precious of treasures - for far more evil ends. When the secrets of alchemy hidden within the pages remain impenetrable, Ben teams up with beautiful American scientist Dr Roberta Ryder to crack the code. It seems that everyone - from the Nazis during WW2 and powerful Catholic organisation Gladius Domini - wants to unearth the secrets of immortality. The trail leads Ben and Roberta from Paris to the ancient Cathar strongholds of the Languedoc, where an astonishing secret has lain hidden for centuries!

The Murder Game by Beverly Barton

Synopsis from BD:

Are you ready to play!? The game is simple--he is the Hunter. They are the Prey. He gives them a chance to escape. To run. To hide. To outsmart him. But eventually, he catches them. And that's when the game gets really terrifying! Private investigator Griffin Powell and FBI agent Nicole Baxter know a lot about serial killers--they took one down together. But this new killer is as sadistic as they've ever seen. He likes his little games, and he especially likes forcing Nicole and Griff to play along. Every unsolvable clue, every posed victim, every taunting phone call--it's all part of his twisted, elaborate plan. And then the Hunter calls, wanting to know if they're really ready to play! There's a new game now, and it's much more deadly than the first. A brutal psychopath needs a worthy adversary. He won't stop until he can hunt the most precious prey of all--Nicole. And with his partner in a killer's sights, Griff is playing for the biggest stakes of his life.

The Fifth Victim by Beverly Barton

Synopsis from BD:

A brutal serial killer targets a succession of five unsuspecting female victims in this spine-tingling thriller from the Sunday Times bestseller author, Beverly Barton. One by one he kills them! With every kill, his strength increases. But this time is different. This time he has found his perfect fifth victim! Deep in Tennessee's Smoky Mountains, the victim lies, sacrificed on a makeshift altar - the gruesome work of a killer who has evaded the authorities across the country. FBI agent Dallas Sloan knows the scene all too well - just as he knows the killings won't stop. Not until there are four more bodies! Genny Madoc's 'sixth sense' has bought many of the town's residents to her isolated log cabin, looking for help. But now it's Genny who needs help from the disturbing visions she sees - images that are getting stronger and more violent each day ! Dallas and Genny must band together, searching the town's darkest hidden secrets, before a twisted killer can complete a sinister plan that will destroy one of them once and for all. Prepared to be petrified in this dark and gripping thriller, for fans of Karen Rose and P.J. Tracy.

Death at La Fenice by Donna Leon

Synopsis from BD:

The twisted maze of Venice's canals has always been shrouded in mystery. Even the celebrated opera house, La Fenice, has seen its share of death. But nothing so horrific and violent as that of world-famous conductor, Maestro Helmut Wellauer - poisoned during a performance of La Traviata. Even Commissario of Police, Guido Brunetti, used to the labyrinthine corruptions of the city, is shocked at the number of enemies Wellauer has made on his way to the top - but just how many have motive enough for murder? The beauty of Venice is crumbling - and evil can seep through its decaying stones ...

Demon of the Air by Simon Levack

Synopsis from BD:

Mexico-Tenochtitlan, in the year Twelve-House: the vast, teeming city of the Aztecs at the height of its glory. As the novel opens, the Chief Minister's trusted slave Yaotl is escorting a sacrificial victim up the steps of the Great Pyramid to celebrate the Festival of the Raising of Banners. Used to the bloodstained rites of the War-God's priests, Yaotl is unperturbed at the ritual slaughter of the so-called Flowery Death. When the victim runs amok and leaps to his death before he can be sacrificed, Yaotl's only worry is how to explain it to his master. But when more bodies start to appear and the Emperor Montezuma starts asking questions about the sorcerers who have vanished from his impregnable prison, Yaotl realises he needs answers soon. The secrets he uncovers will unlock nightmares from his own youth and threaten the future of everything he knows.

Edited by Devi

Second Hand Bookstore

Some of these looked like they were never read! Spines weren't even creased.

Princess by Jean P. Sasson

Synopsis from Amazon:

Sultana is a Saudi Arabian princess, a woman born to fabulous, uncountable wealth. She has four mansions on three continents, her own private jet, glittering jewels, designer dresses galore. But in reality she lives in a gilded cage. She has no freedom, no control over her own life, no value but as a bearer of sons. Hidden behind her black floor-length veil, she is a prisoner, jailed by her father, her husband, her sons, and her country.Sultana is a member of the Saudi royal family, closely related to the king. For the sake of her daughters, she has decided to take the risk of speaking out about the life of women in her country, regardless of their rank. She must hide her identity for fear that the religous leaders in her country would call for her death to punish her honesty. Only a woman in her position could possibly hope to escape from being revealed and punished, despite her cloak and anonymity.Sultana tells of her own life, from her turbulent childhood to her arranged marriage--a happy one until her husband decided to displace her by taking a second wife--and of the lives of her sisters, her friends and her servants. Although they share affection, confidences and an easy camaraderie within the confines of the women's quarters, they also share a history of appaling oppressions, everyday occurrences that in any other culture would be seen as shocking human rights violations; thirteen-year-old girls forced to marry men five times their age, young women killed by drowning, stoning, or isolation in the "women's room," a padded, windowless cell where women are confined with neither light nor conversation until death claims them.By speaking out, Sultana risks bringing the wrath of the Saudi establishment upon her head and te heads of her children. But by telling her story to Jean Sasson, Sultana has allowed us to see beyond the veils of this secret society, to the heart of a nation where sex, money, and power reign supreme.

The Children of the Lost by David Whitley

Synopsis from BD:

Mark and Lily have been banished from Agora, the ancient city-state where everything is for sale - memories, emotions - even children. Lost and alone they discover Giseth, a seemingly perfect land where everyone is equal, possessions are unknown, and Lily believes they will find the secret of their entwined destiny. But paradise comes at a price. Why are their new friends so scared? What hides deep in the forest? And who is the mysterious woman who appears in their dreams, urging them to find the children of the lost?

With the Old Breed by E.B. Sledge

Synopsis from BD:

In "The Wall Street Journal," Victor Davis Hanson named "With the Old Breed" one of the top five books on epic twentieth-century battles. Studs Terkel interviewed the author for his definitive oral history, "The Good War." Now E. B. Sledge's acclaimed first-person account of fighting at Peleliu and Okinawa returns to thrill, edify, and inspire a new generation. An Alabama boy steeped in American history and enamored of such heroes as George Washington and Daniel Boone, Eugene B. Sledge became part of the war's famous 1st Marine Division-3d Battalion, 5th Marines. Even after intense training, he was shocked to be thrown into the battle of Peleliu, where "the world was a nightmare of flashes, explosions, and snapping bullets." By the time Sledge hit the hell of Okinawa, he was a combat vet, still filled with fear but no longer with panic. Based on notes Sledge secretly kept in a copy of the New Testament, With the Old Breed captures with utter simplicity and searing honesty the experience of a soldier in the fierce Pacific Theater. Here is what saved, threatened, and changed his life. Here, too, is the story of how he learned to hate and kill-and came to love-his fellow man. "From the Trade Paperback edition."

Helmet for my Pillow by Robert Leckie

Synopsis from BD:

This title is the inspiration behind the HBO series "The Pacific". Here is one of the most riveting first-person accounts to ever come out of the Second World War. Robert Leckie was 21 when he enlisted in the US Marine Corps in January 1942. In "Helmet for My Pillow" we follow his journey, from boot camp on Parris Island, South Carolina, all the way to the raging battles in the Pacific, where some of the war's fiercest fighting took place. Recounting his service with the 1st Marine Division and the brutal action on Guadalcanal, New Britain and Peleliu, Leckie spares no detail of the horrors and sacrifice of war, painting an unsentimental portrait of how real warriors are made, fight, and all too often die in the defence of their country. From the live-for-today rowdiness of Marines on leave to the terrors of jungle warfare against an enemy determined to fight to the last man, Leckie describes what it's really like when victory can only be measured inch by bloody inch. Unparalleled in its immediacy and accuracy, "Helmet for My Pillow is a gripping account from an ordinary soldier fighting in extraordinary conditions. This is a book that brings you as close to the mud, the blood, and the experience of war as it is safe to come. ""Helmet for My Pillow" is a grand and epic prose poem. Robert Leckie's theme is the purely human experience of war in the Pacific, written in the graceful imagery of a human being who - somehow - survived". (Tom Hanks).

The Green Man - featuring stories from the following authors:

M. Shayne Bell

Emma Bull

Michael Cadnum

Charles de Lint

Carolyn Dunn

Carol Emshwiller

Jeffrey Ford

Neil Gaiman

Nina Kiriki Hoffman

Kathe Koja

Tanith Lee

Bill Lewis

Gregory Maguire

Patricia A. McKillip

Delia Sherman

Midori Snyder

Katherine Vaz

Jane Yolen

Synopsis from BD:

One of our most universal myths is that of the Green Man?the spirit who stands for Nature in its most wild and untamed form. Through the ages and around the world, the Green Man and other nature spirits have appeared in stories, songs, and artwork, as well as many beloved fantasy novels, including Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. Now Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling, the acclaimed editors of over thirty anthologies, have gathered some of today's finest writers of magical fiction to interpret the spirits of nature in short stories and poetry. Folklorist and artist Charles Vess brings his stellar eye and brush to the decorations, and Windling provides an introduction exploring Green Man symbolism and forest myth. "The Green Man" is required reading?not only for fans of fantasy fiction but for those interested in mythology and the mysteries of the wilderness.

Edited by Devi

Death at La Fenice by Donna Leon

Synopsis from BD:

The twisted maze of Venice's canals has always been shrouded in mystery. Even the celebrated opera house, La Fenice, has seen its share of death. But nothing so horrific and violent as that of world-famous conductor, Maestro Helmut Wellauer - poisoned during a performance of La Traviata. Even Commissario of Police, Guido Brunetti, used to the labyrinthine corruptions of the city, is shocked at the number of enemies Wellauer has made on his way to the top - but just how many have motive enough for murder? The beauty of Venice is crumbling - and evil can seep through its decaying stones ...

Brunetti is one of my favourite fictional detectives, and the series is one of my favourites, too. Hope you enjoy it :)

Brunetti is one of my favourite fictional detectives, and the series is one of my favourites, too. Hope you enjoy it :)

What made me buy it was the fact it's set in Venice! I'm half Italian. I am really looking forward to reading it.

The Kingdom by Clive Cussler

Synopsis from BD:

The husband-and-wife team of Sam and Remi Fargo are used to hunting for treasure, but they aren't used to hunting for people - until an investigator friend of theirs goes missing, and they promise to search for him. What they find, however, will be beyond anything they could have imagined. On a journey that will take them to Tibet, Nepal, China, Venice, and Siberia, the Fargos will find themselves embroiled with black market fossils, an ancient Tibetan kingdom, a lost landmass in the North Sea, stone-age ostrich egg shards inscribed in a cryptic language, a pair of battles separated by thousands of miles and hundreds of years...and a skeleton that could just turn the history of human evolution on its head.

Thoughts on the book:

I don't know what to think of my first Clive Cussler book honestly, for the most part I enjoyed it. I enjoyed the mix of fiction and non fiction, and even learnt a thing or two about the Himalayas along the way. This is where the characters in the book spent most of their time, which was a bit disappointing in a way, as I would of loved to hear more of the other locations mentioned in the synopsis - especially Venice - I'm half Italian, my dad was born in Venice so anything set in and around Italy I love to read/watch.

The only thing that I wasn't so keen on was the macgyver side of things, when they got stuck in situations, they would use what was around them to build something and escape, I can't explain why I felt this way, maybe it's because of my knowledge in survival skills that made me roll my eyes at some of the things they did.

I think before I completely give up on Clive Cussler though, I might check out another book of his.

3/5

Edited by Devi

• 3 weeks later...

My mum gave me a box of old books including one that is over 100 years old! I had to go and buy a fourth bookshelf, once I have put ithe shelf together I will write up the list of books I got.

My mum gave me a box of old books including one that is over 100 years old!

Wow that's cool! I have a copy of 'Treasure Island' that my grandad was given at school. It must be at least 80 years old. I love the smell of old books.

Wow that's cool! I have a copy of 'Treasure Island' that my grandad was given at school. It must be at least 80 years old. I love the smell of old books.

I have a copy of treasure island too! Except it's one with the original title - coral island (it's original name before its new one) I'm not entirely sure how true that is.

My mum gave me a box of old books including one that is over 100 years old! I had to go and buy a fourth bookshelf, once I have put ithe shelf together I will write up the list of books I got.

Wow. That's sounds delicious!

I love old books.