Jaycee Dugard, Natascha Kampusch etc

emelee

Have you read an autobiography by any of the now-adults who lived for years kidnapped and held as sex-slaves?

I have ordered the book by Kampusch. Will order Dugard's book later on.

(Also, I have "The boy called it" and Teresa Cooper's "Pin down" as well as Swedish Emma Jangestig whose two children were murdered.)

Even though they share horrible stories that should never have happened, it is still interesting to read, and be appalled and disgusted for them. It's almost like a train wreck. You can't look away.

I've read Natascha Kampusch's book. There were bits when I thought 'well why didn't you do this, or that' to get away, which only goes to show that no matter how many of these stories one reads, it's impossible for an outsider to fully understand what the victims go through.

The Boy Called It is one of the sickest books I've ever read. I'm fascinated by true crime and I've read a decent amount of it, but what I come to realise each time is that no matter how much one's read, and thinks they're are no more ways to torture people, there are always new horrid ways to hurt people and it's sickening. One's faith in humankind always takes a huge blow after reading one of these books.

Emelee

I haven't read any of those you mentioned ,but many years ago I read a book that would have compared in a way to the girls held captive for extended lengths of time by some perverted person . I have no clue what the name of the book was or even when this happened . I'm thinking maybe the 1980's ?

Anyhow, this man and his WIFE decided to kidnap a teen girl .It was the man's sick fantasy to have another girl there besides his wife,who he could also have available when the mood hit him.

The wife of this guy was sicker than him ,to me anyhow, because she agreed to go along with it, helped him plan it and helped pick out and kidnap a girl when they went out scouting for one .

The guy kept this girl in a BOX he had made that slid under their bed ,so at first she was captive in this box,being unable to get away.

This went on for years ,and as time went on, they began allowing her out at times .She eventually got away .I don't remember how she finally did, but she went into therapy afterwards and may still go for help. It really messed her mind up .

I know some of the Jaycee story,but not from a book. I saw an hour interview on tv with her not long ago.

It seems she was kept with no way to escape in the beginning, but as time wore on, things became a little easier for her to make an escape,although she didnt for many years. I think in these cases it's all in mind control,these men tell them things to make them believe they will never get out,and if they do,that no one will want them after what has happened, or else no one will believe them if they tell their story . After a long time of this, the girl just believes it and becoms used to this life .

It's really hard to believe you could ever become used to a situation like that,but I guess eventually you'd stop fighting it and just give up .

It is a very disturbing subject ,but in a way, it's good that these type of people are written about. I think it may help professionals learn to diagnose certain mental disorders, helps police and psychiatrists to understand what these girls go through and study how their minds work during these situations.

So maybe in a really weird way, the stories need to be told so people are more aware of what can happen and how people cope and survive .

Edited by julie