Downton Abbey type books ?

Hi folks

For those familiar with Downton Abbey,which was a mini-series here on our PBS channel :

I found a book at amazon about it,and also a book on which it was based --something written from a maid's point of view.

I'm wondering if any of you would know of a Classic that would most closely resemble this type book ? Something very interesting with lots of unique characters that isn't dry and stuffy,but has some humor tossed in here and there like the show does.

I plan on ordering the books next time I get some spare cash,but for now I wondered if there were any classics which would probably be free,that would resemble it ?

Thanks very much for reading ~

Thank you Janet & Chalie

Will also look for that one . I really enjoyed the show,so thought it'd be fun to read a book that leaned in that type direction, learning what it was like with the rich people,and also how thr working class in their house lived.

Interesting how everyone in the house had their own type rules that must be followed to be "proper" and do what is expected .

Funny you should both mention that book. I had one listed in my favs that was called The House at Tyneford ,which is by the same lady. It's a Kindle book,so would be easier to purchase. I'm trying now to switch to those if they are available . Hurry up payday !

Edited by julie

Again, not a classic, but Netherwood by Jane Sanderson is billed as 'perfect for fans of Downton Abbey'.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netherwood-ebook/dp/B005HW21PI/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1327312064&sr=1-1

I loved Downton Abbey as well - the first series was better than the second, but both were deliciously entertaining. Maggie Smith is just amazing.

Edited by Ruth

Funny you should both mention that book. I had one listed in my favs that was called The House at Tyneford ,which is by the same lady. It's a Kindle book,so would be easier to purchase. I'm trying now to switch to those if they are available . Hurry up payday !

They're the same book, Julie. It was renamed The House at Tyneford for the US market, so don't buy both. I'd forgotten this fact when I linked the one with the UK title. :)

I have this on my Amazon wish list, although as I haven't read it I can't recommend it, but it sounds great. :)

Janet

Yea, I kinda thought that's what they must have done with the book you mentioned. I wonder why they have different names ,and lots of books have different covers here than there . Wish I knew more about the book business and why they do those things. Especially the covers ... can't seem to figure it out .

The one you mentioned on your wish list is also in my favorites . I'm trying hard to refrain from buying a new book every time I hear about one ..Putting me in here is like putting an alcoholic behind the bar to serve the drinks. Not a good idea .

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished "The House at Tyneford" and thought it was really strange... I can definitely see the similarities to Downton Abbey, for sure, but I found it really strange towards the end. I'm glad every one else seemed to like it!

Thanks Poppy

I have been picking up a few of these at a time .I have the one that was 2 different titles and yesterday I got one about the original Lady Almina who the Downton show was kinda based on . I also got the one about the making of the show-- can't think of the title. I keep buying these kindle books and piling them up ,but not getting any of them read.

Sure hope this reading slump ends soon. I am gonna blow up my kindle putting books on it and not reading any .

Edited by julie

• 4 weeks later...

I came across a review of Sadie Jones new book, The Uninvited Guests which sounds like it fits the bill. I have read her first book The Outcast and really enjoyed it, so although I haven't read this new book so can't say if it's any good, here's the synopsis from Amazon:

One late spring evening in 1912, in the kitchens at Sterne, preparations begin for an elegant supper party in honour of Emerald Torrington's twentieth birthday. But only a few miles away, a dreadful accident propels a crowd of mysterious and not altogether savoury survivors to seek shelter at the ramshackle manor - and the household is thrown into confusion and mischief. One of their number (who is most definitely not a gentleman) makes it his business to join the birthday revels.

Evening turns to stormy night, and a most unpleasant game threatens to blow respectability to smithereens: Smudge Torrington, the wayward youngest daughter of the house, decides that this is the perfect moment for her Great Undertaking.

The Uninvited Guests is the bewitching new novel from number one bestseller Sadie Jones. The prizewinning author of The Outcast triumphs in this frightening yet sinister drama of dark surprises - where social codes are uprooted and desire daringly trumps propriety - and all is alight with Edwardian wit and opulence.

I've added it to my wishlist for future perusal :)

Hey Julie. Many years ago I read a series of books by R. Delderfield, God is an Englishman. There is a whole series. I loved them back then, and looking at the link I'm putting in, I want to reread!! :D This is the link for kindle. http://www.amazon.com/Englishman-Swann-Family-Saga-ebook/dp/B003H29CLG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1332014767&sr=8-2

Hey Julie. Many years ago I read a series of books by R. Delderfield, God is an Englishman. There is a whole series. I loved them back then, and looking at the link I'm putting in, I want to reread!! :D

Another brilliant series by RF Delderfield is A Horseman Riding By, which covers a period from 1902 until 1965. (I actually loved this series even more than God Is An Englishman Pontalba. Have you read them?)

Hi All

Sorry ,I haven't checked this thread for quite awhile,so didnt see the responses til just now.

Chesil

Thanks for the recommendations of the Sadie Jones books . I found the one you have read in our library ebooks so have just loaded it to read,and it sounds really good. If I like it, I will order the others . The newest one isn't available here until May 1st ,but I found another by her called Small Wars ( I think), and have put it into my favorites to order .

I'll let you know how I like the one I just got .

Pontalba & Poppy -

Thanks for the mention of the Delderfield books. I did read one of those quite awhile ago . I *think* it was called To Serve Them All My Days ? It was quite a long time ago ,but it was about an Englishman who had been in the war and was suffering from some mental trauma because of what he had been through in the War,so took this job as a schoolmaster in an all boy's private school . It was a really good story,but it was so long ago,and I haven't ever been in the habit of writing down what I read,so it was kinda lost in the memory banks .

I DO have God is an Englishman on my Kindle,so need to give that one a go too .

Thanks for the good ideas for more books !

:)

Another brilliant series by RF Delderfield is A Horseman Riding By, which covers a period from 1902 until 1965. (I actually loved this series even more than God Is An Englishman Pontalba. Have you read them?)

I well may have poppy, I seem to recall at least possessing A Horseman Riding By. I know I read 3 or 4 of Delderfield's books back in the 70's or so - which ones aside from the first, I'm just not sure. I have to root around, but I might still have them. Mass market pb copies from then. I've actually found a hardback copy on Amazon Marketplace for GIAE, and mean to look for the rest.

I well may have poppy, I seem to recall at least possessing A Horseman Riding By. I know I read 3 or 4 of Delderfield's books back in the 70's or so - which ones aside from the first, I'm just not sure. I have to root around, but I might still have them. Mass market pb copies from then. I've actually found a hardback copy on Amazon Marketplace for GIAE, and mean to look for the rest.

God Is An Englishman is about a transport business, A Horseman Riding By is about a rural estate in Devon.