Books to film for young readers

Yesterday my son watched The Jungle Book on DVD for the first time.

Today he read the book, and has not stopped grumbling about the changes(which are minimal when compared to some grown-up films)!:blush:

He was pretending it to be totally faithful to the film (or vice versa!)....

........... he even noticed (and commented on)the scenery in the pictures - compared to the film.

• 1 month later...

I think some things just have to be cut out of a story when made into film. Movie scripts are typically fairly small; when a director has to be faithful to the book it can become cumbersome. The LOTR movies clocked in at three hours plus - I can't imagine the pressure from fans for that movie. The movie Dune was faithful to the book and dreary beyond belief.

The Sword in the Stone (Disney flick) had most of the first 1/3 of the book Once and Future King even though it was an animated story - but still, as ever with Disney, a LOT of stuff was added that was fairly annoying: Merlin time-traveling to Miami for example.

What sucks for me is when I've read a book and am now watching a movie anticipating a favorite section - and it's not there!